Can't Reboot Consistently

Post by Rand Simbe » Sun, 08 Jul 2001 06:00:27

I rebooted my firewall (RH 6. with a 2.2.19 kernel) that had been
working fine, and when it came back up, after "uncompressing Linux,"
it just hung.  I tried again with an older kernel from LILO, and got
the same message.  I didn't change anything before the reboot.

After leaving the machine off for 24 hours, it booted normally.  Later
in the day I had to reboot again, and had the same problem.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what the problem might be, and
how to diagnose?  Am I wrong in thinking that it must be a hardware
problem?  Something heating up and failing?

--
simberg.interglobal.org  * 310 372-7963 (CA) 307 739-1296 (Jackson Hole)
interglobal space lines  * 307 733-1715 (Fax) http://www.interglobal.org

1. It's not bad canned meat...

Thanks for your time.  We at I.S.P.O.T. (The International Society
for the Preservation Of Trees (URL http://www.local-touch.com/ISPOT/)) feel
that electronic messages are great for getting the word out while preserving
our friend the tree.  Anyway, please stop by our home page!

Thanks again!

SusieQ

2. Formatting a DOS parition in alpha linux

3. tcpdump

4. 'reboot' sometimes reboots my machine!!

5. VNC performance

6. ~username isn't working consistently

7. How to reset modem on HP-UX?

8. PC does not reboot after `shutdown -r now/reboot'

9. server reboot, client can't umount w/o reboot - help!

10. Reboot doesn't reboot

11. my PC doesn't reboot after "reboot" or "ctrl-alt-del"

12. m80 will 'boot' but won't 'reboot'