Adaptec 294X and Slackware 3.5

Post by Neil Boo » Sun, 16 Aug 1998 04:00:00

I'm trying to install Slackware 3.5 on a new machine I put together
with friends. My problem is the Linux install CD, when booting, fails
to see my hard drive. I also get a message which I detail below.

I have an Adaptec 294X Ultra SCSI host adapter.

The SCSI setup, just after the memory check, can see my CD-ROM, and
hard drive without any problem. Can also run a surface check on the
hard drive. So I think my machine is setup OK.

When booting from the CD rom, I get the following:-

Failed initialization of WD-7000 SCSI card!
EATA0: address 0xe410 in use, skipping probe
AHA-294X Ultra SCSI host adapter.
scsi: 1 host
scsi:0:0:-1:-1 scanning channel for devices
scsi:detected total.   [note there is no number here]
Partition check
RAMDISK compressed image found at block 0
scsi0:-1:-1:-1 Bad scbptr 255 during SELTO
scsi0:-1:-1:-1 Referenced SCB 255 not valid during SELTO
SCSISEQ=0x12 SEQADDR = 0x09 SSTAT0: 0x15 SSTAT1: 0x88

Then after logging on as root and trying to partition my drive, cfdisk
gives the following message:-

CANNOT OPEN DISK DRIVE.

I'm not really sure what's going on or how to fix it. I saw an earlier
post where someone said to turn off "Delayed Transaction" in the BIOS.
Mine is already disabled.

Any advice appreciated.

Also, it the first line above about failing to initialise a WD-7000
SCSI card a problem? I don't have one of those. What about "skipping
probe"?

Thanks,

Neil.

Adaptec 294X and Slackware 3.5

Post by Neil Boo » Sun, 16 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>I have an Adaptec 294X Ultra SCSI host adapter.

Actually it's an Adaptec 2940UW. Any ideas?

Neil.

Post by Fred Bergma » Sun, 16 Aug 1998 04:00:00

> >I have an Adaptec 294X Ultra SCSI host adapter.

 Hi Neil

I had a problem with the Slackware 3.5 and my 2940uw.
I had the same problem with Red Hat and my 2940uw.
The problem is in the kernel.  All the distributions use the
current kernel. In the Slackware 3.5 it is rev 2.0.34.
The problem is in the aic7xxx driver which the 2940 uses.

This is what to do:
 Go to the ftp site "ftp.dialnet.net/pub/linux/aic7xxx/testing".
 Select the patch "aic7xxx-5.1.0-pre3-2.0.34.patch"
 Place this patch in the "/usr/src" directory.
 Make sure your /usr/src directory has a directory
 named linux-2.0.34 in it or the 2.0.34 patch will complain. If you
 downloaded the 2.0.34 kernel and untar it, it will leave you with
 a directory  named simply "linux".  Change the directory "linux" to
 "linux-2.0.34" and make a soft link to linux:

  "ln -s    linux-2.0.34    linux"

 in the   /usr/src directory ,install the patch using the following
command:

 patch -p0   <   aic7xxx-5.1.0-pre3-2.0.34.patch

 Lastly, build a new kernel.

 Personally I didn't use the 2.0.34 kernel I down-loaded the 2.0.35
kernel
and installed the approiate aic7xxx patch in it. It works well.

 Let me know if you have a problem with this procedure.

--
Fred AE2R

Adaptec 294X and Slackware 3.5

Post by Neil Boo » Mon, 17 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Hi Fred,

Thanks for your reply. My problem was that it was a new machine, with
Linux not even being able to see my CD-ROM and hard drive, so not
having an OS on the new machine nor visible writable media I had no
hope of recompiling anything (and being new to Linux, wouldn't really
want to do this without getting a few days experience first).

Anyway, I read on Redhat's site that they were supposed to support
Addaptec in  5.1. So I popped down to Akihabara, and bought a set of
all most recent distributions, which included RedHat 5.1. After a
small problem with the CD being non-bootable, RedHat 5.1 managed to
run from the CD and I've installed that.

So, does this mean that what I now have has had the patch that you
mention below applied? Or is it buggy still, and what you mention
below is more recent than 5.1? If so, I'll try and do the
recompilation in the next week or so.

Thanks for your time.

Neil.

Quote:>This is what to do:
> Go to the ftp site "ftp.dialnet.net/pub/linux/aic7xxx/testing".
> Select the patch "aic7xxx-5.1.0-pre3-2.0.34.patch"
> Place this patch in the "/usr/src" directory.
> Make sure your /usr/src directory has a directory
> named linux-2.0.34 in it or the 2.0.34 patch will complain. If you
> downloaded the 2.0.34 kernel and untar it, it will leave you with
> a directory  named simply "linux".  Change the directory "linux" to
> "linux-2.0.34" and make a soft link to linux:

>  "ln -s    linux-2.0.34    linux"

> in the   /usr/src directory ,install the patch using the following
>command:

> patch -p0   <   aic7xxx-5.1.0-pre3-2.0.34.patch

> Lastly, build a new kernel.

> Personally I didn't use the 2.0.34 kernel I down-loaded the 2.0.35
>kernel
>and installed the approiate aic7xxx patch in it. It works well.

> Let me know if you have a problem with this procedure.

Adaptec 294X and Slackware 3.5

Post by Fred Bergma » Mon, 17 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Hi Neil,

Quote:> So, does this mean that what I now have has had the patch that you
> mention below applied? Or is it buggy still, and what you mention
> below is more recent than 5.1? If so, I'll try and do the
> recompilation in the next week or so.

 I bought RedHat 5.1 shortly after that it was available.  That's when I

ran into the problem. I couldn't boot from my scsi drive due to
time-outs.
I had to use an older kernel (2.0.30) which I could boot from.  I got a
copy of Slackware 3.5 which uses the same kernel rev (2.0.34) that
RedHat 5.1 uses. I had the same problem with that. It seemed to point
to the kernel. I downloaded in turn kernels 2.0.31, 2.0.32, 2.0.33 and
2.0.34.  Compiled each and had the same problem. Every kernel rev
after 2.0.30 would give me scsi time-outs when I tried to boot.
I found out that there was a change to the aic7xxx driver in rev 2.0.31
and this is still in rev 2.0.35.  Chances are that the RedHat version
you
have still has the bug.  The only solution that I know , I gave to you.

I am presently running kernel 2.0.35 and have patched the scsi driver.
This driver will be in kernel 2.0.36 hence the reference to pre6 drivers

on the dialnet web site.

Get a copy of Matt Welsh's book "Running Linux. It is the best book on
Linux I found. In it you'll find an excellent section on "Building a New

Kernel".  After studying this you should have no problem building a
new kernel.

Good luck ,

--
Fred AE2R

Post by Stephane Bortzmey » Tue, 25 Aug 1998 04:00:00

|> scsi0:-1:-1:-1 Bad scbptr 255 during SELTO
|> scsi0:-1:-1:-1 Referenced SCB 255 not valid during SELTO
|> SCSISEQ=0x12 SEQADDR = 0x09 SSTAT0: 0x15 SSTAT1: 0x88

This is a very common error with *some* Adaptec cards and the Linux
kernels >= 2.0.34. I don't know which kernel uses Slackware 3.5
but it's probably this problem.

|> I'm not really sure what's going on or how to fix it. I saw an earlier

Use an older kernel (2.0.33 is fine) or a newer kernel *with* the
new Adaptec driver, which seems much better:

ftp://ftp.dialnet.net/pub/linux/aic7xxx/testing

Or drop Adaptec completely which is probably the best solution.

Warning: many people spread the rumor that "Adaptec now supports
Linux". See <http://www.adaptec.com/support/overview/linux.html>.

1. Adaptec AIC-7860 (was Re: Scsi Adaptec 2940U2W + linux (slackware 3.5))

Does anyone know if this is correct, because I've just bought a Dell
PowerEdge with Adaptec AIC-7890s and AIC-7860 (CD-ROM card) with a view to
installing Linux (and unfortunately NT!) and Oracle - I'll be a bit gutted
if Linux can't install on it.

Both RedHat 5.2 and Slackware 3.6 completely hang the machine when trying to
detect it; I can't even turn the machine off using the power button!

I've checked on the Adaptec web site and they don't have any info on Linux -
only SCO I think.

Stu

2. Solaris 2.4 NFS Bug

3. Boot Problems with Slackware 3.5 and Adaptec SCSI

4. LILO and booting Linux from hdb problems

5. Scsi Adaptec 2940U2W + linux (slackware 3.5)

6. sender problem (how to change it)

7. bootstrap Slackware 3.5 on Adaptec 2940 U2W ????

8. News Reader Tin

9. Adaptec 2940UW and Slackware 3.5

10. Slackware 3.5 xfree mouse probs

11. !!!!!!HELP WITH KDE FOR SLACKWARE 3.5!!!!!!!

12. KDE binary for Slackware 3.5?

13. Slackware 3.5 bug reports