SATA HD Help

Post by Thomas Gomme » Thu, 09 Sep 2004 18:48:32

Hi Gurus,

I'm trying to install Linux on a brand new PC with SATA drive. I have a
MSI K8T Neo motherboard with two SATA controllers. I connected a Western
Digital WD1660 SATA drive to the first controller. At this stage, the
BIOS finds the drive, but I have not created any RAID array (I don't
think I need one).

I can boot a Gentoo CD for AMD64 with kernel 2.6.7 without problem. It
looks like it finds both controller and drive:

dmesg output:
VIA8237SATA: IDE controller at PCI slot 000:00:0f.0
VIA8237SATA: chipset revision 128
VIA8237SATA: 100% native mode on IRQ 17
        ide2: BM-DMA at 0xdc00-0xdc07, BIOS settings: hde:pio, hdf:pio
        ide3: BM-DMA at 0xdc08-0xdc0f, BIOS settings: hdg:pio, hdh:pio
hdg: WDC WD1600JD-00HBB0, ATA DISK drive

lspci output:
0000:00:01.0 PCI Bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc VT8237 PCI Bridge [K8T800
South]
0000:00:0f.0 RAID bus controller: VIA Technologies, Inc VIA VT6420 SATA
RAID Controller (rev 80)

 From dmesg I guess I should access the HD using /dev/hdg but when
trying fdisk, I get the message "Unable to open /dev/hdg". What do I
miss? Shall I create a RAID array anyway (would this be useful with a
single drive?). I came across some doc where SATA drives are considered
as SCSI, so I'm not sure if I shall use /dev/sdx instead.

Any help or link to extra doc is appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom

SATA HD Help

Post by John-Paul Stewar » Fri, 10 Sep 2004 00:06:53

> Hi Gurus,

> I'm trying to install Linux on a brand new PC with SATA drive. I have a
> MSI K8T Neo motherboard with two SATA controllers. I connected a Western
> Digital WD1660 SATA drive to the first controller. At this stage, the
> BIOS finds the drive, but I have not created any RAID array (I don't
> think I need one).

> I can boot a Gentoo CD for AMD64 with kernel 2.6.7 without problem. It
> looks like it finds both controller and drive:

> dmesg output:
> VIA8237SATA: IDE controller at PCI slot 000:00:0f.0
> VIA8237SATA: chipset revision 128
> VIA8237SATA: 100% native mode on IRQ 17
>     ide2: BM-DMA at 0xdc00-0xdc07, BIOS settings: hde:pio, hdf:pio
>     ide3: BM-DMA at 0xdc08-0xdc0f, BIOS settings: hdg:pio, hdh:pio
> hdg: WDC WD1600JD-00HBB0, ATA DISK drive
[snip]
>  From dmesg I guess I should access the HD using /dev/hdg but when
> trying fdisk, I get the message "Unable to open /dev/hdg". What do I
> miss? Shall I create a RAID array anyway (would this be useful with a
> single drive?). I came across some doc where SATA drives are considered
> as SCSI, so I'm not sure if I shall use /dev/sdx instead.

If dmesg is showing it as /dev/hdg, you're not using the libata drivers,
so you do *not* need to use /dev/sdX.  (If you were using those drivers,
then dmesg would be reporting the appropriate /dev/sdX instead.)  Also,
there's no point in trying to create a single drive RAID array.  The
controller isn't really true hardware RAID anyway, so using its RAID
features doesn't really get you much benefit over software RAID.

Does the device node for /dev/hdg actually exist?  'ls -l /dev/hdg' will
tell you.

1. Installing RH8 directly to SATA HD

Dear,

I've asked this question before in several groups but didn't get a good
answer to it.
I'd like to install RedHat 8.0 (RH9 is not an option) directly on a SATA
harddisk connected to a SIL3112 SATA controller.

This controller is not supported in the 2.4.18-14 Kernel used by RH8 and
Silicon Image doesn't make drivers voor Linux.
They gave my an answer saying they leave this up to the Open Source
Community so I hope you people can help me out.

The support for this controller can be found in kernel 2.4.20-20.8 but I can
only install this kernel AFTER the RH installation.
Remark: I use a harddrive installation with a kickstart file (ks.cfg) to
install my systems.

Can someone please tell me how I can :
    Get support for the SATA controller in the kernel used in the setup of
RH 8
    Get the 2.4.20-20.8 kernel to be used automatically after installation
so I can use the SATA HD.

Regards,

Dennis

2. ANNOUNCE: FREE Eval of NetTracker 3.5 Web Log Analysis Software for Linux Web Servers

3. SATA HD & DMA ?

4. KPPP HELP

5. recover data from bad sata hd

6. Linux Is on the Move - Up!

7. How to add a SATA HD

8. Majordomo Stats

9. HELP HELP HELP: my new SCSI HD locks my system (QUANTUM FIREBALL TM 2110S - AHA1740A)

10. SiI3112a SATA help

11. SATA help needed

12. SATA Drives on Intel MB w/ Fedora core 1 - HELP

13. HELP REGARDING SATA Hard Disk DRIVER