Arnet Smartport

Post by Wade Hampt » Fri, 31 Mar 1995 04:00:00

Anyone know of an Arnet Smartport driver for Linux?  I heard that someone
on the net was developing one and I now have a Smartport + Linux machine
- drivers....

Arnet Smartport

Post by Robert Li » Fri, 31 Mar 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>Anyone know of an Arnet Smartport driver for Linux?  I heard that someone
>on the net was developing one and I now have a Smartport + Linux machine
>- drivers....

About a half dozen people have started one, but I know of none that
reached completion.

I actually took Troy's driver for Digi's PCXX and made it go on the
SmartPort family of products.  I had the kernel code about where I
wanted it, but ran out of time / interest before finishing it up.

Since that time, Troy has revved the PCXX driver a few times, and
hasn't merged my changes back in.

I haven't tested it on any of the newer kernels (1.1.50 is what I
think my Yggdrasil release was), and I know that Troy had to rev
the PCXX stuff to make it play on the current systems.  An industrious
young soul (esp. one willing to live w/o installation scripts) could
surely take my code, smash the changes between digi's 1.0 and whatever
is current into that and make it go.

It's not ready for "prime time", but it worked well enough to do
some file xfers across mdoems, support getty, and so on.  If you're
a developer type, and interested in a copy [ esp, if you're interested
in finishing it ], mail me.

At no additional charge, it supports the Arnet COMStax board....

RJL
--

Arnet Smartport

Post by Wade Hampt » Sat, 01 Apr 1995 04:00:00

: >Anyone know of an Arnet Smartport driver for Linux?  I heard that someone

: I actually took Troy's driver for Digi's PCXX and made it go on the
: SmartPort family of products.  I had the kernel code about where I

: I haven't tested it on any of the newer kernels (1.1.50 is what I

: It's not ready for "prime time", but it worked well enough to do
: some file xfers across mdoems, support getty, and so on.  If you're
: a developer type, and interested in a copy [ esp, if you're interested
: in finishing it ], mail me.

: At no additional charge, it supports the Arnet COMStax board....

Please send it to me.  I'll see what I can do with it; should be fun.

Thanks,