Dual IDE controller card

Post by Mathieu Dubé-Dallair » Wed, 19 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Hello,

    I have an old 486 which used to have a single ide controller card
(with two hard drives connected to it) and a proprietary controller for
a Matushita/Panasonic/Creative 2x CD-ROM. The cd-rom went the way of
hadware heaven and I want to put in another unit.

   I figured I would change the ide controler for a dual ide one (ide0
and ide1 on the same board). I tested it using another hard drive I had
lying around (I collect old components :). Booting Linux shows all three
drives hda, hdb and the added hdc on the ide1 connector) but says "hdc:
lost interrupt" and eventually hangs.

   A cat /proc/interrupts shows ide0 in irq 14 and ide1 on irq 15.

My questions are:

1. Is there a jumper I could set to correct this (lost interrupt).

2. What is IOCHRDY? Should I enable or disable it (jumper on controler)?

Thanks,

Mathieu

Dual IDE controller card

Post by Richard Zidlic » Thu, 20 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>Hello,
>    I have an old 486 which used to have a single ide controller card
>(with two hard drives connected to it) and a proprietary controller for
>a Matushita/Panasonic/Creative 2x CD-ROM. The cd-rom went the way of
>hadware heaven and I want to put in another unit.
>   I figured I would change the ide controler for a dual ide one (ide0
>and ide1 on the same board). I tested it using another hard drive I had
>lying around (I collect old components :). Booting Linux shows all three
>drives hda, hdb and the added hdc on the ide1 connector) but says "hdc:
>lost interrupt" and eventually hangs.
>   A cat /proc/interrupts shows ide0 in irq 14 and ide1 on irq 15.

what was the irq count for irq 15? If it was 0 then your hardware is
badly configured, otherwise try switching the drives.

Bye
Richard

Dual IDE controller card

Post by Mathieu Dubé-Dallair » Thu, 20 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Hello,

Quote:>>   I figured I would change the ide controler for a dual ide one (ide0
>>and ide1 on the same board). I tested it using another hard drive I had
>>lying around (I collect old components :). Booting Linux shows all three
>>drives hda, hdb and the added hdc on the ide1 connector) but says "hdc:
>>lost interrupt" and eventually hangs.

>>   A cat /proc/interrupts shows ide0 in irq 14 and ide1 on irq 15.
> what was the irq count for irq 15? If it was 0 then your hardware is
> badly configured, otherwise try switching the drives.

I figured as much. Could the BIOS being able to detect only two devices
be the problem? I would think linux would be able to not use the BIOS
for hard drive interaction. What should I look for in terms of hardware
configuration?

Mathieu

Dual IDE controller card

Post by Richard Zidlic » Thu, 20 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>Hello,
>>>   I figured I would change the ide controler for a dual ide one (ide0
>>>and ide1 on the same board). I tested it using another hard drive I had
>>>lying around (I collect old components :). Booting Linux shows all three
>>>drives hda, hdb and the added hdc on the ide1 connector) but says "hdc:
>>>lost interrupt" and eventually hangs.

>>>   A cat /proc/interrupts shows ide0 in irq 14 and ide1 on irq 15.
>> what was the irq count for irq 15? If it was 0 then your hardware is
>> badly configured, otherwise try switching the drives.
>I figured as much. Could the BIOS being able to detect only two devices
>be the problem? I would think linux would be able to not use the BIOS
>for hard drive interaction. What should I look for in terms of hardware
>configuration?

no idea about the hardware, all I know is that swapping drives may help
sometimes. Some drive or drive/controller combinations don't go well together
The BIOS should have no influence whatsoever.

Bye
Richard

1. IDE controller cards with >= 4 *independent* controllers?

I think I posted this before, but I'll ask again.

I'd like to try software RAID5 under Linux.

Does anyone know if there are any IDE contoller cards that have more
than two controllers on them.  The more the better, but at least four
*independent* controllers (ie., not just slave drives) would be great.
There must be a market for something like this...

Thanks,
    Richard

2. Connected, but very very slow??

3. How to enable 2nd IDE port on DTC 2278D VESA IDE controller card?

4. Questions for gurus : BIOS, Disk Geometry, LBA, cfdisk, e2fsck, mke2fs, lilo relationship

5. Tested: Journaling Filesystems on Linux software RAID-5 using IDE-drives and 2 IDE controller cards

6. f2ps etc

7. ide raid card or an ide controller

8. How To Install S3 Trio64V+/ 64 card ?

9. ALI dual channel PCI IDE controller?

10. IDE Controller Failure: Linux/W95 dual boot

11. Striping 2 Disks across Dual IDE controllers

12. On dual-controller IDE 1.1 and 1.2 patches

13. Dual IDE-controllers.. Possible?