Ensoniq ES1371 Installation

Post by Frank Natol » Fri, 18 Oct 2002 22:47:36

dmesg reports that Linux 7.1 recognizes Ensoniq ES1371 on a Micron Millennia
Plus motherboard.

"modprobe -c | grep 1371" reveals "alias sound-slot-0 es1371".

So I guess the driver is loaded. But Applets/Multimedia/CD Player will not
play any music CD, though the Eject button will eject the music CD. Pressing
the Play button has no effect. No display, no sound.

My ultimate objective is to write G711 mu law PCM data to the PC audio
device. A telephony device is generating the data, and I would like to
listen to it. Is there a /usr/include file that documents relevant devices
and/or ioctls?

Thanks.

Post by Lew Pitch » Fri, 18 Oct 2002 23:43:26

>dmesg reports that Linux 7.1 recognizes Ensoniq ES1371 on a Micron Millennia
>Plus motherboard.

>"modprobe -c | grep 1371" reveals "alias sound-slot-0 es1371".

>So I guess the driver is loaded. But Applets/Multimedia/CD Player will not
>play any music CD, though the Eject button will eject the music CD. Pressing
>the Play button has no effect. No display, no sound.

You could be having one (or more) of a number of problems. Here's some things to
look into...

1) Are you sure that the cable between your CDROM drive and your soundcard is
installed?

2) What volume setting do you have CD Audio set to? Is it "muted" or very low?

3) Do you, as a user, have proper permissions on your cdrom device? Does the CD
Player have proper permissions?

4) Does the CD Player know where the CD device is (it's device name)?

Quote:>My ultimate objective is to write G711 mu law PCM data to the PC audio
>device. A telephony device is generating the data, and I would like to
>listen to it. Is there a /usr/include file that documents relevant devices
>and/or ioctls?

Don't know. But, I'd start looking in /usr/src/linux/Documentation

Lew Pitcher
IT Consultant, Development Services
Toronto Dominion Bank Financial Group

Ensoniq ES1371 Installation

Post by Dances With Crow » Sat, 19 Oct 2002 08:54:47

On Thu, 17 Oct 2002 14:43:26 GMT, Lew Pitcher staggered into the Black
Sun and said:

>>dmesg reports that Linux 7.1 recognizes Ensoniq ES1371 on a Micron
>>Millennia Plus motherboard.

>>"modprobe -c | grep 1371" reveals "alias sound-slot-0 es1371".

>>So I guess the driver is loaded. But Applets/Multimedia/CD Player will
>>not play any music CD, though the Eject button will eject the music
>>CD. Pressing the Play button has no effect. No display, no sound.

> 1) Are you sure that the cable between your CDROM drive and your
> soundcard is installed?

> 2) What volume setting do you have CD Audio set to? Is it "muted" or
> very low?

Yes, check those things.  WinXX doesn't use the 4-wire analog audio
cable, and some manufacturers haven't been shipping that cable with
their systems to save $0.05.  Recent builds of xmms and most CD player
programs have an option to use cdparanoia to rip the digital audio from
the disc (much like WinXX's approach) so you might try that if you can't
find a 4-wire cable.

Also, if you can find the lspci utility (one of your earlier messages
said you didn't have it; install the "pciutils" package, that should've
been installed automagically) make sure that the report from "lspci -vv
| grep -A6 audio" doesn't say that the device has been assigned IRQ 0.
If that's the case, you will need to reboot, go into your BIOS Setup,
and set "PnP OS Installed" or "Quick Boot" to NO.

Quote:> 3) Do you, as a user, have proper permissions on your cdrom device?
> Does the CD Player have proper permissions?

/dev/scd* should be readable by all users.  If the thing is IDE, it
should be readable by all users.  The CD player application shouldn't
need any special permissions.

Note, however, that some distros make the sound device owned by group
"audio", so that users must be members of that group if they want to
hear sounds.  Which distro are you using, anyway?  You said, "Linux 7.1"
which doesn't exist.  Did you mean "SuSE 7.1", "Redhat 7.1", "Mandrake
7.1", or "Slackware 7.1"?

Quote:> 4) Does the CD Player know where the CD device is (it's device name)?

Yeah, check that too.  /dev/cdrom should be a symbolic link to the
actual device node, most likely /dev/hdc if this is an IDE CD-ROM,
almost certainly /dev/scd0 if this is a SCSI CD-ROM or it's an IDE CD-RW
and you set up the ide-scsi emulation necessary to get the full monty
from it.

Quote:>>My ultimate objective is to write G711 mu law PCM data to the PC audio
>>device. A telephony device is generating the data, and I would like to
>>listen to it. Is there a /usr/include file that documents relevant
>>devices and/or ioctls?

> Don't know. But, I'd start looking in /usr/src/linux/Documentation

Hm.  The "sox" program says it's quite capable of reading ulaw data and
converting it to PCM.  You might not have to do any coding at all, just
set up a sox process like so:

   sox -t gsm -U /dev/INPUT -t ossdsp -s -w -r 22100 /dev/dsp

...will read GSM data in U-law encoding from /dev/INPUT , then spit the
resulting data out to /dev/dsp in 16-bit, 22100Hz format.  The man page
for sox is a little intimidating, but you might want to check it out.  I
can't test this out since I don't have a source of ulaw sound.  HTH,

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /

1. Ensoniq ES1371 Installation

dmesg reports that Linux 7.1 recognizes Ensoniq ES1371 on a Micron Millennia
Plus motherboard.

"modprobe -c | grep 1371" reveals "alias sound-slot-0 es1371".

So I guess the driver is loaded. But Applets/Multimedia/CD Player will not
play any music CD, though the Eject button will eject the music CD. Pressing
the Play button has no effect. No display, no sound.

My ultimate objective is to write G711 mu law PCM data to the PC audio
device. A telephony device is generating the data, and I would like to
listen to it. Is there a /usr/include file that documents relevant devices
and/or ioctls?

Thanks.

2. Linux on Sparcstation 2 networking.

3. (long) DTV2000 - bttv / Creative Ensoniq - ES1371

4. HELP: Installing Redhat via NFS (Ethernet)

5. es1371.o ensoniq sound missing symbol

6. NFS over tcp

7. Ensoniq AudioPCI97 (ES1371)

8. boot iMac from Open Firmware...

9. Sound card problem: Ensoniq ES1371 audio PCI-97 chip set

10. No sound from Ensoniq es1371 sound card

11. Ensoniq|ES1371 soundcard problems

12. 2.2.18: difficulties with Ensoniq 5880 (es1371) rev 0x03?

13. No sound from Ensoniq es1371 sound card