CUR-DLS onboard NIC

Post by Chuck Broeke » Fri, 02 Feb 2001 13:51:46

Has anyone had any luck getting the onboard Intel NIC (82559) to work on
the ASUS CUR-DLS mobo?

I've tried loading the eepro100 driver but when I try to assign an IP to
the interface, I get a 'Resource temporarily unavailable' message. This
is on RedHat 7.0.

Any help would be appreciated.

Chuck Broeker

CUR-DLS onboard NIC

Post by Gunther Pie » Fri, 02 Feb 2001 22:43:46

> Has anyone had any luck getting the onboard Intel NIC (82559) to work on
> the ASUS CUR-DLS mobo?

yes.

Quote:> I've tried loading the eepro100 driver but when I try to assign an IP to
> the interface, I get a 'Resource temporarily unavailable' message. This
> is on RedHat 7.0.

same motherboard, same redhat here, no problems. try a new kernel and if
this doesnt work too, send the mobo back.

--

system engineer                                         innominate AG
                                                 the linux architects

CUR-DLS onboard NIC

Post by Chuck Broeke » Sat, 03 Feb 2001 11:37:13

> > Has anyone had any luck getting the onboard Intel NIC (82559) to work on
> > the ASUS CUR-DLS mobo?

> yes.

> > I've tried loading the eepro100 driver but when I try to assign an IP to
> > the interface, I get a 'Resource temporarily unavailable' message. This
> > is on RedHat 7.0.

> same motherboard, same redhat here, no problems. try a new kernel and if
> this doesnt work too, send the mobo back.

Thanks for the response. I got the motherboard in November and had this
problem then. I dealt with it by buying a 3Com board. It's probably too
late to send the mobo back. I'll try a new kernel. I'll also look at the
ASUS site for upgrades. As a last resort, I'll try loading Windows 2000
server and see if it can deal with the chip. (I'll reload Linux
afterwards. I wouldn't want anyone to get upset.)

CUR-DLS onboard NIC

Post by Chuck Broeke » Mon, 05 Feb 2001 14:46:07

> > > Has anyone had any luck getting the onboard Intel NIC (82559) to work
> > > on
> > > the ASUS CUR-DLS mobo?

> > yes.

> > > I've tried loading the eepro100 driver but when I try to assign an IP
> > > the interface, I get a 'Resource temporarily unavailable' message.
> > > This
> > > is on RedHat 7.0.

> > same motherboard, same redhat here, no problems. try a new kernel and
> > if
> > this doesnt work too, send the mobo back.

> Thanks for the response. I got the motherboard in November and had this
> problem then. I dealt with it by buying a 3Com board. It's probably too
> late to send the mobo back. I'll try a new kernel. I'll also look at the
> ASUS site for upgrades. As a last resort, I'll try loading Windows 2000
> server and see if it can deal with the chip. (I'll reload Linux
> afterwards. I wouldn't want anyone to get upset.)

Today I loaded Windows 2000 on the machine. It had no problem seeing the
NIC. I was able to configure it and get on the web. When I reloaded
RedHat 7.0 from scratch I got the same problem as before. I'm not a PC
hardware expert ( I've avoided this for years.)  I suspect Linux is
screwing up either the IRQ assigment or the IO port assigment. Is there
some way to debug this other than becoming an export on the eepro100
driver? Is there an option or set of options I can set in modules.conf
that will help?

Chuck Broeker

CUR-DLS onboard NIC

Post by Henrik Carlqvis » Tue, 06 Feb 2001 04:11:49

> > > same motherboard, same redhat here, no problems. try a new kernel
> When I reloaded RedHat 7.0 from scratch I got the same problem as
> before.

Have you tried a newer kernel yet? Sometimes NIC vendors changes the
specifications of a NIC without changing its name. A newer kernel might
have newer drivers for your NIC.

Quote:> I suspect Linux is screwing up either the IRQ assigment or the IO
> port assigment. Is there some way to debug this other than becoming
> an export on the eepro100 driver?

Yes do

more /proc/pci

See what it says about your ethernet card. Does it have any IRQ
assigned? Also, remember that in your CMOS settings you should have any
setting called something like "PnP OS" set to NO.

regards Henrik
--
spammer strikeback: