USR Winmodem......

Post by Vincent Cainti » Wed, 08 Jul 1998 04:00:00

I have a US Robotics Winmodem. I know that it's on the Linux
Incompatible List. However, hear me out on this before replying.

I looked at my Windows 95 configuration and copied down the modem's
configuration. Then, I reconfigured COM 4 using setserial to match the
modem's configuration. After a little bit of pppscript tinkering, I was
able to make my modem create a 'tick' sound, the same sound I hear in
Win95 when the modem picks up the phone to dial. However, when the
script gets to the initialization part (AT&F1), the system waits for
'OK' but it doesn't come. Then I hear the same tick sound and the script
exits. I assume these 'tick' sounds mean that Linux is at least able to
open communication with the modem.

Now, does anyone think that there might be a solution, or is this a lost
cause I should drop?

Thanks for any input.

#! rnews 1721

Newsgroups: rec.sport.tennis
Subject: Re: Blue eyes
Date: Tue, 07 Jul 1998 08:02:40 -0500

> Has anyone ever seen the program Blue Eyed?

Is this the "blue eyes/brown eyes" game? Take a class of school kids,
segregate them by eye color, and alternately abuse each group? We
did that in elementary school. (The irony, if such it is, was that
this was a Minnesota school; I don't think there was a single
minority person in the entire class of seventy-odd kids. So there
was nobody to explain to us what was actually happening. I didn't
learn the *purpose* of the game until decades later, when I saw
an article on it in a library bulletin.)

Quote:>With all the talk about racism
> in this newsgroup, I think anyone involved in the argument should watch this
> show, or go to the clinic and learn about racism and how it works. This
> program will enlighten anyone, even the most bigoted of us, to realise
> racism is a cheap and easy form of mental and sometimes physical abuse. The
> lady who conducted it brought people to tears when they realised how tough
> life was made for those of color or disabilities.

It does demonstrate how racism can be utterly brutal and arbitrary.
(Though I can't imagine anyone denying that.)

--
Robert B. Waltz
(e-mail address hidden to avoid spam)

USR Winmodem......

Post by Shaw Terwillige » Wed, 08 Jul 1998 04:00:00

[a bunch of winmodem tinkering, all in vain]

Quote:> Now, does anyone think that there might be a solution, or is this a lost
> cause I should drop?

The solution is to buy a real modem (you know, one with a UART on it).

--

USR Winmodem......

Post by Mitch Blevin » Wed, 08 Jul 1998 04:00:00

> I have a US Robotics Winmodem. I know that it's on the Linux
> Incompatible List. However, hear me out on this before replying.

> I looked at my Windows 95 configuration and copied down the modem's
> configuration. Then, I reconfigured COM 4 using setserial to match the
> modem's configuration. After a little bit of pppscript tinkering, I was
> able to make my modem create a 'tick' sound, the same sound I hear in
> Win95 when the modem picks up the phone to dial. However, when the
> script gets to the initialization part (AT&F1), the system waits for
> 'OK' but it doesn't come. Then I hear the same tick sound and the script
> exits. I assume these 'tick' sounds mean that Linux is at least able to
> open communication with the modem.

> Now, does anyone think that there might be a solution, or is this a lost
> cause I should drop?

> Thanks for any input.

Since the Winmodems perform some of the modem functionality with the
computer's CPU, rather than just sending commands to the modem, you
could duplicate it rather easily.

Just snoop on the line of your Winmodem connected to your Windows peecee,
and reverse-engineer the functions that it performs.  Piece of cake!

Or, alternatively, you could convince the necessary people to release specs
on the functions.

Either way, you need to write a Linux program to perform the functions
usually performed by your Windows peecee while using this modem.
It's gonna take a little bit more than figuring out the right AT&XX commands
to send to it....

Gook luck!  Please post the code when you've finished.

Thanks,
-Mitch

USR Winmodem......

Post by Support Dep » Thu, 09 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>I have a US Robotics Winmodem. I know that it's on the Linux
>Incompatible List. However, hear me out on this before replying.

The reason for the problem is (as I understands it) that the modem code is in
the windoze software and not in the modem.  So the code to run your modem is
back there on the windoze instead of in the modem where it belongs (IMHO).

Steve
--
http://www.sellcom.com
Telecommunications and internet networking hardware

USR Winmodem......

Post by Michael Prot » Thu, 09 Jul 1998 04:00:00

The reason your script is not able to get a response from the init
string is because Winmodems aren't initalized by strings. That part of
the hardware is removed and instead replaced by a software driver. It is
possible to send some information to the modem, record the modem's
response, and reverse-engineer the driver. This, however, would take a
good deal of time and effort (not that you shouldn't try- I think there
are thousands of Linux users that would thank you if you did).

Mike

> I have a US Robotics Winmodem. I know that it's on the Linux
> Incompatible List. However, hear me out on this before replying.

> I looked at my Windows 95 configuration and copied down the modem's
> configuration. Then, I reconfigured COM 4 using setserial to match the
> modem's configuration. After a little bit of pppscript tinkering, I was
> able to make my modem create a 'tick' sound, the same sound I hear in
> Win95 when the modem picks up the phone to dial. However, when the
> script gets to the initialization part (AT&F1), the system waits for
> 'OK' but it doesn't come. Then I hear the same tick sound and the script
> exits. I assume these 'tick' sounds mean that Linux is at least able to
> open communication with the modem.

> Now, does anyone think that there might be a solution, or is this a lost
> cause I should drop?

> Thanks for any input.
> --
> Robert B. Waltz
> (e-mail address hidden to avoid spam)

--
Stay alive,
Michael Proto

1. USR WinModem

 > Although Highly unlikely, has any one written a driver for or gotten
 > this modem to work with linux.. I know there are a lot of talented
 > people out there who have some creative ideas..

Well, looking at the posts that say that the Winmodem will never be
supported under Linux that were posted today, I'd have to say no.

USR won't release specs, and even if they did, the modem wouldn't work
in a true multitasking OS like Linux. The winmodem needs 100% of the
system's attention when it is transferring data, and by design, Linux
and other Unix operating systems can not do that.

2. Any help for NCR Unix mail client error?

3. Do USR winmodem work?

4. Linux laptop as a portable digital recorder?

5. USR winmodem?

6. Disable user account

7. What happened to the USR Winmodem Linux Driver??

8. Linux Newbie needs help with SAMBA w95---Linux Redhat 5.2

9. Linux and USR Winmodem

10. USR WinModem - What to do ?

11. USR WinModem Sporster 33.6 and Linux

12. USR Winmodem model 5683

13. USR WinModem Sportster 33.6 and Linux