asus a7m266-d smp mode hardware sensors

asus a7m266-d smp mode hardware sensors

Post by robo » Tue, 09 Apr 2002 03:31:55



Running 2.4.18-stable wth everything relevant enabled we can not see the  
hardware sensors on  /proc/ioports or /proc/bus on our a7m266-d dual 2000+
system.  I can find nothing about this problem documented in a google search.
(The monitors work great in the bios power screen. ) This is true both in smp
(without apm support) and  non-smp mode ( which has apm support) .  

Is there support for this function on the asus a7m266-d  in the 2.4 kernel or
the 2.5 kernel or not at all?

Subject:  asus a7m266-d smp mode hardware sensors
inability to monitor the temperature on these very cpu intensive tasks leaves
me a little uneasy.

Thanks for any advice.  

 
 
 

asus a7m266-d smp mode hardware sensors

Post by John-Paul Stewar » Tue, 09 Apr 2002 04:34:47



> Running 2.4.18-stable wth everything relevant enabled we can not see the
> hardware sensors on  /proc/ioports or /proc/bus on our a7m266-d dual 2000+
> system.  I can find nothing about this problem documented in a google search.
> (The monitors work great in the bios power screen. ) This is true both in smp
> (without apm support) and  non-smp mode ( which has apm support) .

> Is there support for this function on the asus a7m266-d  in the 2.4 kernel or
> the 2.5 kernel or not at all?

> Subject:  asus a7m266-d smp mode hardware sensors
> inability to monitor the temperature on these very cpu intensive tasks leaves
> me a little uneasy.

> Thanks for any advice.

You need the i2c package and the lm_sensors package to use
any hardware sensors on any motherboard with any version of
Linux.  Check your distro for i2c and lm_sensors packages
(RPMs, debs, whatever your distro uses) or see
http://www.netroedge.com/~lm78/ for the project's homepage.

 
 
 

asus a7m266-d smp mode hardware sensors

Post by robo » Tue, 09 Apr 2002 09:50:48


The problem is that sensors-detect can't see any sensors. I am using the
latest lm_sensors. It looks like the kernel is not seeing the i2c bus on
this MB. That should also be visible in /proc/bus.




>> Running 2.4.18-stable wth everything relevant enabled we can not see the
<snip>

>You need the i2c package and the lm_sensors package to use
>any hardware sensors on any motherboard with any version of
>Linux.  Check your distro for i2c and lm_sensors packages
>(RPMs, debs, whatever your distro uses) or see
>http://www.netroedge.com/~lm78/ for the project's homepage.

 
 
 

asus a7m266-d smp mode hardware sensors

Post by John-Paul Stewar » Tue, 09 Apr 2002 23:34:22



> The problem is that sensors-detect can't see any sensors. I am using the
> latest lm_sensors. It looks like the kernel is not seeing the i2c bus on
> this MB. That should also be visible in /proc/bus.

Does lsmod show the modules loaded?
Are they in /lib/modules/<kernel-version>/misc/ ?
What sensors are on the motherboard (should be in the docs)?
Have you tried searching the lm_sensors support site for
"a7m"?  It turned up this:

http://www2.lm-sensors.nu/~lm78/readticket.cgi?ticket=793

 
 
 

asus a7m266-d smp mode hardware sensors

Post by robo » Thu, 11 Apr 2002 01:32:45


They live at e4e0-e4ef on the amd-756 smbus. Version 2.6.3 of lm_sensors is
required. I was using 2.6.1, wihc was NOt the latet version as I have thought.

I actually only used the amd756.o driver from that version, since everyting
else from the 2.6.1 verson was usable. The amd757.o driver from the 2.8.18
stock smp (patched to release)  kernel is not adequate.

My thanks to John-Paul Stewart and others who have suggested a solution.


>The problem is that sensors-detect can't see any sensors. I am using the
>latest lm_sensors. It looks like the kernel is not seeing the i2c bus on
>this MB. That should also be visible in /proc/bus.




>>> Running 2.4.18-stable wth everything relevant enabled we can not see the
><snip>

>>You need the i2c package and the lm_sensors package to use
>>any hardware sensors on any motherboard with any version of
>>Linux.  Check your distro for i2c and lm_sensors packages
>>(RPMs, debs, whatever your distro uses) or see
>>http://www.netroedge.com/~lm78/ for the project's homepage.

 
 
 

1. Asus A7m266-d Doesn't See Hardware Sensors on <=2.4.18

h<  
hardware sensors on  /proc/ioports or /proc/bus on our a7m266-d dual 2000+
system.  I can find nothing about this problem documented in a google search.
(The monitors work great in the bios power screen. ) This is true both in smp
(without apm support) and  non-smp mode ( which has apm support) .  

Is there support for this function on the asus a7m266-d  in the 2.4 kernel or
the 2.5 kernel or not at all?

Otherwise, as the young people say,  the board "rocks" on numericals. However,
inability to monitor the temperature on these very cpu intensive tasks leaves
me a little uneasy.

Thanks for any advice.  

2. samba, libreadline.so.3 error

3. SMP Problem with 2.4.19-rc2 on Asus A7M266-D

4. Printing postscript on Canon LBP-4?

5. Asus A7M266-D, Athlon 2000 MP, linux frequent crashes

6. Solaris 9 NIS to LDAP conversion

7. ACPI oops with 2.5.8-pre3 on asus dual athlon (A7M266-D)

8. RESTRICTED SHELL MESSAGE

9. IRQ Conflict problems Promise TX2000 RAID, Asus A7M266-D

10. ASUS A7M266-D and kernel 2.4.16 APIC errors

11. Stream benchmark for: Asus A7M266-D, Tyan S2460

12. USB problems on ASUS A7M266-D with kernel 2.4.20

13. Kernel for ASUS A7M266-D?