k8dmaster2 & keyboard-less operation

Post by Jef Peerae » Thu, 12 Aug 2004 05:08:59

i have i k8d master2  from msi, but i can't get it into keyboard-less
operation, it's always halting on a keyboard error, when the keyboard is
disconnected. i changed the following settings in the bios, 'wait for F1 if
error' -> 'disabled' and 'System keyboard' -> 'absent', but to no avail.

jef

k8dmaster2 & keyboard-less operation

Post by Dances With Crow » Thu, 12 Aug 2004 05:22:24

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 20:08:59 GMT, Jef Peeraer staggered into the Black
Sun and said:

Quote:> I have a k8d master2 from MSI, but I can't get it into keyboard-less
> operation; it always halts on a keyboard error when the keyboard
> is disconnected. I changed the following settings in the bios: 'wait
> for F1 if error' -> 'disabled' and 'System keyboard' -> 'absent', but
> to no avail.

Stupid BIOSes.  Well, the time-honored trick in these cases is to get a
10 kohm resistor from Radio Hack or a similar store in .be, then short
that resistor between pins 3 and 4 of your PS/2 keyboard port.

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /    mail: TRAP + SPAN don't belong
http://www.brainbench.com     /                Hire me!

Post by Jef Peerae » Thu, 12 Aug 2004 07:37:23

> On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 20:08:59 GMT, Jef Peeraer staggered into the Black
> Sun and said:
>> I have a k8d master2 from MSI, but I can't get it into keyboard-less
>> operation; it always halts on a keyboard error when the keyboard
>> is disconnected. I changed the following settings in the bios: 'wait
>> for F1 if error' -> 'disabled' and 'System keyboard' -> 'absent', but
>> to no avail.

> Stupid BIOSes.  Well, the time-honored trick in these cases is to get a
> 10 kohm resistor from Radio Hack or a similar store in .be, then short
> that resistor between pins 3 and 4 of your PS/2 keyboard port.

thanks for the tip, gone try that tomorrow. Shame that these so called
server motherboards don't act like servers...but otherwise it runs fine
with our beloved OS on it.
i could maybe try a bios upgrade, but they don't mention anything about
keyboard problems.

jef

Post by Jef Peerae » Thu, 12 Aug 2004 18:22:58

> On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 20:08:59 GMT, Jef Peeraer staggered into the Black
> Sun and said:
>> I have a k8d master2 from MSI, but I can't get it into keyboard-less
>> operation; it always halts on a keyboard error when the keyboard
>> is disconnected. I changed the following settings in the bios: 'wait
>> for F1 if error' -> 'disabled' and 'System keyboard' -> 'absent', but
>> to no avail.

> Stupid BIOSes.  Well, the time-honored trick in these cases is to get a
> 10 kohm resistor from Radio Hack or a similar store in .be, then short
> that resistor between pins 3 and 4 of your PS/2 keyboard port.

Doesn't seem to work. still getting keyboard errors. i realy firmly inserted
the resistor.

jef

Post by Richard Kimbe » Thu, 12 Aug 2004 21:58:38

>> On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 20:08:59 GMT, Jef Peeraer staggered into the Black
>> Sun and said:
>>> I have a k8d master2 from MSI, but I can't get it into keyboard-less
>>> operation; it always halts on a keyboard error when the keyboard
>>> is disconnected. I changed the following settings in the bios: 'wait
>>> for F1 if error' -> 'disabled' and 'System keyboard' -> 'absent', but
>>> to no avail.

>> Stupid BIOSes.  Well, the time-honored trick in these cases is to get a
>> 10 kohm resistor from Radio Hack or a similar store in .be, then short
>> that resistor between pins 3 and 4 of your PS/2 keyboard port.

Are there known PS/2 problems with MSI?  I have a problem whereby if you
hold down the shift key long enough (e.g. when selection image regions in
Gimp) the keyboard locks up (I assume the buffer overflows or something)
and nothing can then be typed.

- Richard.

--
Richard Kimber
http://www.psr.keele.ac.uk/

Post by Jef Peerae » Thu, 12 Aug 2004 21:43:24

>>> Stupid BIOSes.  Well, the time-honored trick in these cases is to get a
>>> 10 kohm resistor from Radio Hack or a similar store in .be, then short
>>> that resistor between pins 3 and 4 of your PS/2 keyboard port.

> Are there known PS/2 problems with MSI?  I have a problem whereby if you
> hold down the shift key long enough (e.g. when selection image regions in
> Gimp) the keyboard locks up (I assume the buffer overflows or something)
> and nothing can then be typed.

Are you using the 64-bit version of suse 9.1. I had to reverse back to 32
bit version , because of unstability of the 64-bit version. I had similar
problems ( although not exactly the same ) and the machine locked up
regulary. The 32 bit version is solid rock stable.

Jef

Quote:

Post by Richard Kimbe » Fri, 13 Aug 2004 00:58:36

>> Are there known PS/2 problems with MSI?  I have a problem whereby if you
>> hold down the shift key long enough (e.g. when selection image regions in
>> Gimp) the keyboard locks up (I assume the buffer overflows or something)
>> and nothing can then be typed.
> Are you using the 64-bit version of suse 9.1. I had to reverse back to 32
> bit version , because of unstability of the 64-bit version. I had similar
> problems ( although not exactly the same ) and the machine locked up
> regulary. The 32 bit version is solid rock stable.

Yes. 64-bit.  I find it quite stable, except that Opera is guaranteed to
lock it solid after some (as yet undetermined) event (but Netscape 7.1
seems pretty good). And the Nvidia driver before the most recent release
also caused trouble (I haven't tried the newest one, the X nv driver seems
good enough for now). Other than that, it seems pretty solid with just
this one keyboard irritation.

- Richard.
--
Richard Kimber
http://www.psr.keele.ac.uk/

1. Keyboard-less boot loader trouble, 2nd round...

A couple of days ago I posted a message talking about my problem booting
FreeBSD 4.7 on a correctly BIOS-configured 486 without a keyboard
(problem which didn't exist booting neither DOS nor Linux). This
message, called "FreeBSD won't boot without a keyboard", was posted on
11/19.

My description of the problem then was simply that just before BTX
started to print anything on my screen, the system hanged if I had no
keyboard attached to it.

Solutions offered were about kernel atkbdc0 flags, placing "/boot/loader
-h" or "-P" in /boot.config, and so on...

None of these worked for me (thanks a lot to all who tried, anyway). The
kernel-related ones because the problem was BEFORE loading the kernel.
The boot loader ones... well, just because the problem turned out to be
even before executing /boot/loader...

But now I have made a couple of changes to my system and I'm able to get
to the point of the problem more precisely:

THE HANG HAPPENS WHEN LOADING THE 2nd STAGE OF THE BOOT LOADER.

I know this because, in my desperation, I finally installed GRUB as my
system's boot loader, and made it boot my FreeBSD through its stage1,
ffsstage1_5 and stage2.

Fortunately, GRUB is more verbose than BTX, and so I know now that the
hang happens when the ffsstage1_5 has loaded stage2 and is trying to
execute it.

The fact is GRUB can boot my FreeBSD correctly when the keyboard is
attached!

Isn't this just STRANGE?

Please, I'm really desperate. Any BIOS-, MBR- or memory-related ideas?

Any ideas, whatever the relation?

Just for further information: My motherboard is a Pc-Chips M915i with
real external cach.

Thanks a lot for your patience with this unfortunate newbie...

Cruinne.

2. CHALLENGE TO THE WINVOCATES!

3. Keyboard/Display-less Server

4. Backup for Linux ?

5. Keyboard- and mouse-less SPARC?

6. Suggestions for best tape backup software.

7. Can linux boot on a keyboard and monitor-less network machine?

8. Another Critical Windows Flaw Found

9. replace AT&T PC6300 keyboard with a PC/AT keyboard?

10. Even less from LESS

11. pipe data to less of (xterm -e less) ?

12. Less and less

13. less -X with less effect