Adaptec AIC-7890(U2W)

Post by evo » Sun, 25 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Linux cannot mount my HDD and CD, because of my Adaptec U2W-Controller
AIC-7890

What can I do?
Thanks for help
evo

Adaptec AIC-7890(U2W)

Post by Mal Adriaa » Sun, 25 Oct 1998 04:00:00

I recently had this problem.  You can download patched source code for the
2.0.35 kernel here:

 directory is:    ftp://camelot.net.ilstu.edu/pub/aic7xxx/

file is:
ftp://camelot.net.ilstu.edu/pub/aic7xxx/linux-2.0.35-7890-patched.tgz

You can also download the patch there, but the source is really nice to
have.

You probably know this, but lots of people read the messages.  First,
install it:

copy the above file to /usr/src/

type:  "gzip -cd linux-2.0.35-7890-patched.tgz"

go to /usr/src/linux

type:  "make menuconfig"

Go through and select the options you want. Be sure to enable SCSI support
for disk drives and cd drives, and enable the appropriate driver (aic7xxx).
Also be sure to enable the ISO9660 file system.

after saving the config,

type:

make dev
make clear
make zImage (or bzImage if kernel grows too large)

copy the kernel from "/usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/"  to  "/boot"
the kernel should be named "zImage" or "bzImage"  be sure to check the time
stamp to make sure it is the one you supposedly compiled.

edit "/etc/lilo.conf" to boot that kernel (it should be obvious what to
change)

after editing it, type "lilo" and then reboot.  Your controller should work.
I did it just a few days ago, and I have the exact same controller on an
ASUS P2-BS motherboard.

This should install the source

>Linux cannot mount my HDD and CD, because of my Adaptec U2W-Controller
>AIC-7890

>What can I do?
>Thanks for help
>evo

Adaptec AIC-7890(U2W)

Post by Philippe Elbaz-Vincen » Sun, 25 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> Linux cannot mount my HDD and CD, because of my Adaptec U2W-Controller
> AIC-7890

> What can I do?

if you're using SuSE 5.3 the "patch" aic7xxx-5.1.0

(see http://www.suse.de/patches/53_update.html)

should be helpful, in all the case I think that you can apply this patch
to any kernel 2.0.35. This will give you a driver for your Adaptec.
--
Ph. Elbaz-Vincent, Marie-Curie Fellow,
DFG-Forschergruppe "Arithmetic and Geometry", FB 6, Mathematik,

Phone: +49 201 183 2198 | Fax: +49 201 183 2426

Adaptec AIC-7890(U2W)

Post by David A. Frant » Sun, 25 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> Linux cannot mount my HDD and CD, because of my Adaptec U2W-Controller
> AIC-7890

> What can I do?
> Thanks for help
> evo

evo

check out the redhat site!!     The files you need are in the aic tree on
there FTP site.     YYou can download a hole set of RPMS which will give
you an updates kernel.

Dave