Brother HL-1240

Post by Chris La » Sat, 29 Jul 2000 04:00:00

I'm considering the purchase of the Brother HL-1240 laser printer. However,
Brother's website seems to make no mention of linux support whatsoever. Does
anyone have any experience with these printers under linux? I'm pretty sure
it is not a winprinter, but are there drivers available for linux to make
this printer work?

Thanks

Brother HL-1240

Post by Svend Garnae » Sat, 29 Jul 2000 04:00:00

The HL-1240 is fairly well supported with a standard driver. See:

  http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=234953

I'd recommend a HL-1250 any day, though.

--
Svend

Brother HL-1240

Post by Bruce Forsber » Sat, 29 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> The HL-1240 is fairly well supported with a standard driver. See:

>   http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=234953

> I'd recommend a HL-1250 any day, though.

If you can afford it the HL-1270N is a good choice as well. It has
Postscript emulation builtin, a 10/100 Base T network card and works
very well. It comes with 4 MB standard and you can add 1 72 pin non-EDO
simm upto 32MB. If you will use graphics with postscript you will need
more memory. If you have alot of old computers laying around you
probably already have the extra memory. Since it has postscript it is
alot easier to setup, you don't need ghostscript.

Bruce Forsberg

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Brother HL-1240

Post by Kawah L » Sun, 30 Jul 2000 04:00:00

On Fri, 28 Jul 2000 18:07:56 GMT, Bruce Forsberg

>> The HL-1240 is fairly well supported with a standard driver. See:

>>   http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=234953

>> I'd recommend a HL-1250 any day, though.

>If you can afford it the HL-1270N is a good choice as well. It has
>Postscript emulation builtin, a 10/100 Base T network card and works
>very well. It comes with 4 MB standard and you can add 1 72 pin non-EDO
>simm upto 32MB. If you will use graphics with postscript you will need
>more memory. If you have alot of old computers laying around you
>probably already have the extra memory. Since it has postscript it is
>alot easier to setup, you don't need ghostscript.

>Bruce Forsberg

>Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
>Before you buy.

This is interesting. A networkable, postscript printer
for 400+ US$ (cnet). I was wondering  if the postscript
(BR script?) is a "real" postscript as opposed to something
like the postscript option in NEC 870, which does not work
for linux.

Also, any other networkable, postscript, affordable laser
printer options out there. I know lexmark makes a couple,
but their lower model does not do network (they are postscript,
though).

What are the differences between postscript 2 and postscript 3.
The lexmark M410n does network and is proscript 3, but cost
more than the brother, though. Are there any measurable
advantage?

Thanks in advance,

Brother HL-1240

Post by Bruce Forsber » Sun, 30 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> >If you can afford it the HL-1270N is a good choice as well. It has
> >Postscript emulation builtin, a 10/100 Base T network card and works
> >very well. It comes with 4 MB standard and you can add 1 72 pin
non-EDO
> >simm upto 32MB. If you will use graphics with postscript you will
need
> >more memory. If you have alot of old computers laying around you
> >probably already have the extra memory. Since it has postscript it is
> >alot easier to setup, you don't need ghostscript.

> >Bruce Forsberg
> This is interesting. A networkable, postscript printer
> for 400+ US$ (cnet). I was wondering  if the postscript
> (BR script?) is a "real" postscript as opposed to something
> like the postscript option in NEC 870, which does not work
> for linux.

I had a ink jet (HP 660) for about two years and the quality of the
output got worse and worse over the two year period. Also the ink
supplies are very expensive. I don't need color so I looked for an
inexpensive BW laser. Consumer Reports rated the HL-1240 as the best
(for windows of course) of the group that they rated. They said it
also had the lowest cost per page. Most people did
not recommend the 1240 for Linux since it is limited in memory and if
memory serves me correct can't be upgraded. The HL-1270N uses the same
drum and toner as the 1240 with about the same specs so I assume it has
the same print engine. I have had it for about 3-4 months now with no
problems what so ever. I have only been not able to print one page so
far and it was a web page on ebay. There is a psutils software package
on the web for Linux that I use that allows me to output 2 or 4 pages
per page and that works great. If you use the built in Postscript
emulation you will need to upgrade the memory like I said before. 4MB
is not enough to process postscript documents. It also comes standard
with 10/100 Base T. Printing just plain listings are pretty speedy to.
I have not timed it but it must easy be close to the rated 12 PPM.

I don't know what the NEC 870 does. This acts just like a network
postscript printer. You send the postscript document to a queue called
BINARY_P1 on the machine. You could also send ASCII or PCL to it as
well. I have used it on win95 and it works fine aas well. Most of my
work with it has been with RedHat 5.2 & SUSE 6.2 on my desktop and
laptop systems. I have also used the parrellel and ethernet connections
both. It also has a USB connection.

Quote:> Also, any other networkable, postscript, affordable laser
> printer options out there. I know lexmark makes a couple,
> but their lower model does not do network (they are postscript,
> though).

> What are the differences between postscript 2 and postscript 3.
> The lexmark M410n does network and is proscript 3, but cost
> more than the brother, though. Are there any measurable
> advantage?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. Laser Printer by Brother (HL-1240)

[Posted and mailed]

IIRC, the HL-1240 is a semi-crippled beast. It supports some relatively
low level of PCL (PCL 4 or thereabouts), which means you can get it to
crank out 300 dpi output under Linux, but no better. If you want a
Brother, look at the next higher-up model, the HL-1250, which is capable
of doing 600 dpi via PCL 5e.

If you want PostScript capability, there are other options, but most or
all of them will be more expensive than the low-end HL-1240 or even the
HL-1250. Beware of printers that have PostScript interpreters implemented
as Windows drivers; these are akin to Ghostscript, and do Linux users no
good.

--

http://members.bellatlantic.net/~smithrod
Author of _Special Edition Using Corel WordPerfect 8 for Linux_, from Que

2. how to make a script with sendmail to prevent sircam?

3. Printing, apsfilter & samba & brother hl-1240

4. need help with optimizing script

5. Brother HL-1240

6. USB->ETHERNET

7. brother 1240

8. telnet without login prompt

9. Setting up Brother HL-1040 or HL-1050 laser printer

10. Brother HL-1050 vs HL-1060

11. Printer driver for Brother HL-720

12. bi-directional parallel ports/brother HL-630