Need mp3 to mpy file converter for RCA Lyra RD1080 mp3 player

Need mp3 to mpy file converter for RCA Lyra RD1080 mp3 player

Post by John McFe » Mon, 27 Jun 2005 05:03:37

I have an RCA Lyra RD1080 mp3 player which connects through USB to my
computer running Fedora Core 2. I can read and copy files from its
filesystem just fine. However, the Lyra uses mpy files, (its proprietary
format) rather than mp3 files. Thus I need to convert my mp3 files prior
to downloading them to the Lyra. This is done under Windows using
MusicMatch Jukebox, but there is no Linux version of that program (there
was a beta version in 2001, but apparently it was never continued).

I have serached the web extensively to find an mp3 to mpy file
converter, with no luck.

Does anyone have a program that converts mp3 files to mpy files? Without
it, my player is useless with Linux.

Thanks

John McFee

Post by A. Ben Hmed » Tue, 28 Jun 2005 22:22:11

> I have an RCA Lyra RD1080 mp3 player which connects through USB to my
> computer running Fedora Core 2. I can read and copy files from its
> filesystem just fine. However, the Lyra uses mpy files, (its proprietary
> format) rather than mp3 files. Thus I need to convert my mp3 files prior
> to downloading them to the Lyra. This is done under Windows using
> MusicMatch Jukebox, but there is no Linux version of that program (there
> was a beta version in 2001, but apparently it was never continued).

> I have serached the web extensively to find an mp3 to mpy file
> converter, with no luck.

> Does anyone have a program that converts mp3 files to mpy files? Without
> it, my player is useless with Linux.

> Thanks

> John McFee

Unless I'm still living in the 80s, I have never heard of an MP3 player
that converts formats in order to play! If it is an MP3 player, it
should play MP3 files without conversion, as per the product's description:

Personal Digital Player with 128MB Built-In Memory
        Plays Multiple mp3 Compression Rates
        mp3/WMA2 Compatible?
        128MB Built-In Flash Memory
        External MMC Slot
        Digital FM Tuner with 10 Presets
        Backlit Alpha-Numeric 3-Line Display
        USB Connection for Faster Downloads
        Upgradeable for Future Audio Compression Formats

Post by John McFe » Wed, 29 Jun 2005 02:03:23

>> I have an RCA Lyra RD1080 mp3 player which connects through USB to my
>> computer running Fedora Core 2. I can read and copy files from its
>> filesystem just fine. However, the Lyra uses mpy files, (its
>> proprietary format) rather than mp3 files. Thus I need to convert my
>> mp3 files prior to downloading them to the Lyra. This is done under
>> Windows using MusicMatch Jukebox, but there is no Linux version of
>> that program (there was a beta version in 2001, but apparently it was
>> never continued).

>> I have serached the web extensively to find an mp3 to mpy file
>> converter, with no luck.

>> Does anyone have a program that converts mp3 files to mpy files?
>> Without it, my player is useless with Linux.

>> Thanks

>> John McFee

> Unless I'm still living in the 80s, I have never heard of an MP3 player
> that converts formats in order to play! If it is an MP3 player, it
> should play MP3 files without conversion, as per the product's description:

> Personal Digital Player with 128MB Built-In Memory
>     Plays Multiple mp3 Compression Rates
>     mp3/WMA2 Compatible?
>     128MB Built-In Flash Memory
>     External MMC Slot
>     Digital FM Tuner with 10 Presets
>     Backlit Alpha-Numeric 3-Line Display
>     USB Connection for Faster Downloads
>     Upgradeable for Future Audio Compression Formats

I guess you're still living in the 80's. Seriously though, this is a
quirk of the Lyra and if I had known in advance, I'd never have bought
one. Caveat emptor. Anyway, I still have the problem.

John McFee

1. Compact Flash Mem for mp3 player (RCA Lyra)

Can anyone give me a pointer toward info about Linux support for
writing to Compact Flash memory modules, particularly as used in
RCA Lyra player.  The player comes with Windows software and a
cable set that connects to the parallel port for transferring
data to the memory modules.

Since I thought I'd finally gotten rid of Windows, it bugs me to have
to resurrect the beast to load up an mp3 player.

--
Dave Brown  Austin, TX

2. mounting MO Drive with sectorsize=1024

3. MP3 Player 4 MP3 CD's?

4. Gcc compilation help needed

5. Sound, Real Player, and MP3 players

6. When do I use .so or .a archives?

7. CD Player and MP3 Player for Solaris 8

8. how to...

9. MP3 Player & VCD Player

10. MUSICA EN MP3 GRATIS > Http://Mp3.com/dIGITALaNARCHY

11. 8hz-mp3 - free MP3 encoder.

12. mp3 files player in redhat 8 x kde ?

13. Going to build a Linux SBC / Hard Drive / MP3 player - need advice