VAIO Keyboard

Post by Ian Pege » Tue, 03 Jul 2001 19:59:35

Hi,

I know that this might be a little off topic but Linux people seem to be
very clued up about all things hardware.

My question is I have a Sony VAIO. The keyboard is faulty, specifically I
have intermittent problems with 6, -, del and a few others. I think that
this is due to the physical connection between the keyboard cable and the
keyboard, as if I mess about in this general area, everything is OK again
for a few hours.

The keyboard "cable" is a plastic filmy flexible printed circuit type thing.
So does anyone know how these are joined to the keyboard... is it heat like
soldering, or glue, or what?

Answers gratefully received as I don't want to have to send it off to SONY
and fork out a ton of money to have it repaired and be without it for
weeks....

Best to all,

Ian

VAIO Keyboard

Post by The Martia » Wed, 04 Jul 2001 08:00:21

Depends on the model of the Vaio, you may be lucky and find it socketed
at the keyboard end, more likely its a fixed connection, the other end
will be in a socket.

Now the bad news, these sockets are not user friendly, you really need a
special tool to remove the cable. The top of the socket has to be lifted
up before the cable can be removed, this must be done from the both ends
at once, as if its not kept level those things have a habbit of breaking,
and on the motherboard end, thats time for a new machine.

Unless you are at home with working on this type of thing I would really
send it back to sony for a repair.

In your case it could be any number of things, from the actual keyboard
being faulty to (as you think) the cable.

--
David
Sydney, Australia

> Hi,

> I know that this might be a little off topic but Linux people seem to be
> very clued up about all things hardware.

> My question is I have a Sony VAIO. The keyboard is faulty, specifically
> I have intermittent problems with 6, -, del and a few others. I think
> that this is due to the physical connection between the keyboard cable
> and the keyboard, as if I mess about in this general area, everything is
> OK again for a few hours.

> The keyboard "cable" is a plastic filmy flexible printed circuit type
> thing. So does anyone know how these are joined to the keyboard... is it
> heat like soldering, or glue, or what?

> Answers gratefully received as I don't want to have to send it off to
> SONY and fork out a ton of money to have it repaired and be without it
> for weeks....

> Best to all,

> Ian

1. Share one keyboard between a PC and a SPARCstation (preferably SPARC keyboard)

: Well, the two types are not compatible. Even though I found PC
: versions of Sun keyboards and Sun versions of PC keyboards, I could
: not find anything (like a switchbox) to share one keyboard (preferably
: Sun type 5) between a PC and a SPARCstation.
:
: Can anyone let me know of such switchboxes ?
:

        Sun sells a box that allows you to use a PC keyboard & mouse on
a SPARC.  We bought one for evaluations last year.  Except for having
to play chords to invoke the L1-10 keys it was entirely satisfactory.

        There are a few third party products that provide similar
functionality.  Check the BlackBox or workstation express catalogs.
warning, these things cost a lot more than another keyboard.

        --Dale

2. Using Linux with to access Internet via ISP's proxy server

3. Keyboard, Mouse and Monitor Switch , keyboard drops out

4. Counting same character in a string.

5. unix2dos on Solaris: could not get keyboard type US keyboard assumed

6. VIM + ASP Syntax Highlighting

7. How does keyboard input transmit from keyboard of X Server to application?

8. Remove disk(s) from SCO 5 configuration files

9. keyboard: Timeout - AT keyboard not present?(f4)

10. Ultra5 uses German keyboard layout for US keyboard after dtlogin...

11. Swedish keyboard file for Macintosh keyboard?

12. keyboard beep on sun type 4 keyboard

13. How to find the keyboard type and keyboard layout?