modem communication problem

Post by Tim Hodge » Wed, 25 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Greetings;
I am having troubles with a new linux installation.
Here is the system:
Pentium 200/MMX
Slakware 3.3/Kernel 2.0.30

I have the harddrive partitioned for both Win95 and
linux. My problem is with using the modem. When I try
to use Minicom, for example, I am able to dial the modem
and make a connection. But, the communication between
the system and the modem is VERY slow and jerky. I
will type ATDTphone_num and the echo will take 20
seconds to come back. The modem will dial and connect
to a server and the server login banner will come
across the same way. Maybe 10 characters at a time,
a wait of 10-20 seconds, then another burst. It
is not the modem, because I have tried both an
internal modem on /dev/cua2 and an external modem
on /dev/cua1.

It is a plug and play BIOS, but I disabled the PNP
and am able to communicate with the modem so I
don't think that is the issue.

I used setserial to make sure that there are no
interupt conflicts.

Any ideas or similiar experiences would be most

Thanks,
Tim Hodges

Post by ic.. » Sat, 07 Mar 1998 04:00:00

>Greetings;
>I am having troubles with a new linux installation.
>Here is the system:
>Pentium 200/MMX
>Slakware 3.3/Kernel 2.0.30

>I have the harddrive partitioned for both Win95 and
>linux. My problem is with using the modem. When I try
>to use Minicom, for example, I am able to dial the modem
>and make a connection. But, the communication between
>the system and the modem is VERY slow and jerky. I
>will type ATDTphone_num and the echo will take 20
>seconds to come back. The modem will dial and connect
>to a server and the server login banner will come
>across the same way. Maybe 10 characters at a time,
>a wait of 10-20 seconds, then another burst. It
>is not the modem, because I have tried both an
>internal modem on /dev/cua2 and an external modem
>on /dev/cua1.

>It is a plug and play BIOS, but I disabled the PNP
>and am able to communicate with the modem so I
>don't think that is the issue.

>I used setserial to make sure that there are no
>interupt conflicts.

>Any ideas or similiar experiences would be most

>Thanks,
>Tim Hodges

Hi, I had that problem using minicom, I found that I had the wrong
interupt ( right address ) maybe you need to see if you have the write
interrupt or if something else ( the mouse ) is also using the
interrupt

1. AIX 4.x Modem/Communications Problem

I have a C program that must periodically dial a modem, log on to a remote
computer, send and receive packets of information (without carriage returns
or line feeds), and log out.  This program works well under AIX version 3.x
but won't work under 4.x.

The basic logic here is:

/* Set the port attributes */
Terminal = open("/dev/tty1",O_RDWR | O_NDELAY);
tcgetattr(Terminal,&attr);
attr.c_cflag |= CLOCAL;
attr.c_lflag &= ~(ICANON);
attr.c_cc[VMIN] = 0;
attr.c_cc[VTIME] = 500;
tcsetattr(Terminal,&attr);
close(Terminal);

/* Normal open */
Terminal = open("/dev/tty1",O_RDWR");
    /* Basic send a packet and receive response logic */
    for(cnt=0;send[cnt],cnt++) write(Terminal, &send[cnt], 1);
    while(read(Terminal, &ch, 1) == 1)
    {
        printf("%c",ch);
    }
close(Terminal);

I am having the following problems with this code:
1. With the modem set normally for DTR (&C1), I can't open the port for the
"Normal open" - it sits there forever.
2. If I set the modem to ignore DTR (&C0), it will open, but then read the
same response over and over (for example: if I sent an ATH, I receive a
repeating OKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOK....
3. If I open the tty with O_NDELAY for the normal open, I never get ANY
response.

Any ideas (or FIXES) would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!

Thanks,
Bill Crozier

2. Kernel 2.2.1 & route add

3. dip to modem communication problem

4. 1 * swCwCjOvg-vim for Solaris2.5

5. Modem/Communication Problem

6. masked dir

7. Announcement: Modem-1.0 -- A Distributed Communication Package for Modems

8. Looking for ~500 meg HD...

9. Modem to modem communication

10. modem-0.4b - Distributed communication package for modems

11. Communication to an external modem with HAYES commands CODE problems...

12. problem using full duplex voice communication via modem ??