Micro$oft sound card problems.

Post by MisTAH LithahLAND!! » Fri, 03 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Hi all,
        I have a microsoft sound card (says microsoft right on it) that I have
used successfully for the last year with 1.2.13 and the sound drivers
that came with it at the time.  (I believe it was still voxware in those
days.)  These came from RedHat 3.0.3 from their Running Linux companion
disks.
        I recently upgrade to 2.1.16 (and subsequently .17) to correct some net
problems, but now I am having sound card difficulties.  It still plays
to be sure, but the volume is so incredibly low that even with my stereo
cranked all the way up it is a strain to hear anything.
        Here is a copy of my /dev/sndstat, I have the OPL's configured (despite
that I don't know if they work) only because they have no effect on the
output.  I'm sure they are not the problem.

Quote:>Sound Driver:3.7-beta12-961115 (Wed Jan 1 22:20:11 EST 1997 root,
>Linux mike5.student.cwru.edu 2.1.16 #7 Sun Dec 22 11:38:43 EST 1996 >i486)
>Kernel: Linux mike5.student.cwru.edu 2.1.17 #9 Wed Jan 1 22:22:36 EST >1997 i486
>Config options: 0

>Installed drivers:
>Type 10: MS Sound System
>Type 27: Compaq Deskpro XL
>Type 1: OPL-2/OPL-3 FM

>Card config:
>MS Sound System at 0x530 irq 10 drq 3
>OPL-2/OPL-3 FM at 0x388 drq 0

>Audio devices:
>0: MSS audio codec (AD1848)

>Synth devices:
>0: Yamaha OPL-3

>Midi devices: NOT ENABLED IN CONFIG

>Mixers:
>0: MSS audio codec (AD1848)

        I've tried every mixer program that exists on sunsite and while they do
have an effect on the volume it is still not enought to be of value.  I
am a music composition major and use my computer extensively for my
music and need badly to get this problem solved.

>    pcm - 100,100
>    mic - 0,0
>    mix - 100

Thank you in advance for your help.  If you can think of any suggestions
I would appreciate it if you could mail them to me also just so I don't
miss them.

Thanks again,
Mike

--
``Work for something because it is good,
  not just because it has a chance to succeed.''

Michael Litherland

http://129.22.250.154/