Digital Cameras and Linux

Post by Tom Ross » Wed, 08 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Hello,
I have a Fujifilm MX-1200 digital camera that connects to the
back of my computer via a serial port.  The software for this
camera has Windows 98/NT and Mac versions, but the authors didn't
have the forsight to include Linux software.  Basically, from
what I can tell, it connects using some kind of Twain driver so
it can be accessed from Photoshop and Corel Draw and all of those
other wonderful expensive and buggy graphics programs.  Does
anybody have any experience hooking up this camera, or any
Fujifilm MX-series camera, or any digital camera in general, to
Linux.  I'm currently running Mandrake 7, which is compatable
(sort of) with RedHat.  Any input would be appreciated.  Thanks!
-Tom

Digital Cameras and Linux

Post by Douglas E. Mitt » Thu, 09 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Do a search for gphoto!  It is what I use and I have a FujiFilm DX-10!

(I'm at work and I don't have the URL handy!)

On Tue, 07 Mar 2000 20:43:42 -0800, Tom Rosso

>Hello,
>I have a Fujifilm MX-1200 digital camera that connects to the
>back of my computer via a serial port.  The software for this
>camera has Windows 98/NT and Mac versions, but the authors didn't
>have the forsight to include Linux software.  Basically, from
>what I can tell, it connects using some kind of Twain driver so
>it can be accessed from Photoshop and Corel Draw and all of those
>other wonderful expensive and buggy graphics programs.  Does
>anybody have any experience hooking up this camera, or any
>Fujifilm MX-series camera, or any digital camera in general, to
>Linux.  I'm currently running Mandrake 7, which is compatable
>(sort of) with RedHat.  Any input would be appreciated.  Thanks!
>-Tom

The FACTS are my Employers, OPINIONS are my own!

Sorry: SPAM reduction project in progress:
       Remove the "x." from my domain to reply!

Digital Cameras and Linux

Post by Markus Wand » Thu, 09 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>I have a Fujifilm MX-1200 digital camera that connects to the
>back of my computer via a serial port.  The software for this
>camera has Windows 98/NT and Mac versions, but the authors didn't
>have the forsight to include Linux software.  Basically, from
>what I can tell, it connects using some kind of Twain driver so
>it can be accessed from Photoshop and Corel Draw and all of those
>other wonderful expensive and buggy graphics programs.  Does
>anybody have any experience hooking up this camera, or any
>Fujifilm MX-series camera, or any digital camera in general, to
>Linux.  I'm currently running Mandrake 7, which is compatable
>(sort of) with RedHat.  Any input would be appreciated.  Thanks!

I have a Fuji DX10 (predecessor to the MX1200) and I use this program:

   http://topo.math.u-psud.fr/~bousch/fujiplay.html

It does exactly what a digital camera download program should do in
my opinion:

   fujiplay -d all

downloads all the pictures into the current directory and deletes them
from the camera.  End of story.  Unfortunately the download is as
miserably slow as in the provided Windows software since the camera
only manages about 4.5kbytes/sec regardless what baud rate you talk
to it at.  I don't know if the MX1200 is better in this regard.

I tried gphoto not two weeks ago and it did not meet my basic stability
criterion:  I was able to crash it within a minute of playing with it,
and bsides it could not reliably talk to the camera.

Markus

Digital Cameras and Linux

Post by goran_lundb.. » Fri, 10 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Check out gphoto for X-windows (www.gphoto.org)
It supports 114 different digital cameras including some fujifilm
cameras. I have a MX-1700Zoom and it works with the MX-700 drivers.
So yours should probably work too.

/G?ran Lundberg

Quote:> Hello,
> I have a Fujifilm MX-1200 digital camera that connects to the
> back of my computer via a serial port.  The software for this
> camera has Windows 98/NT and Mac versions, but the authors didn't
> have the forsight to include Linux software.  Basically, from
> what I can tell, it connects using some kind of Twain driver so
> it can be accessed from Photoshop and Corel Draw and all of those
> other wonderful expensive and buggy graphics programs.  Does
> anybody have any experience hooking up this camera, or any
> Fujifilm MX-series camera, or any digital camera in general, to
> Linux.  I'm currently running Mandrake 7, which is compatable
> (sort of) with RedHat.  Any input would be appreciated.  Thanks!
> -Tom

> * Sent from RemarQ http://www.remarq.com The Internet's Discussion
Network *
> The fastest and easiest way to search and participate in Usenet -
Free!

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Digital Cameras and Linux

Post by Douglas E. Mitt » Fri, 10 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Thank you VERY much for this link!  I like this utility.  GPhoto is
nice from a GUI point of view BUT command line utilities like this are
useful for un-attended or batch operation.

I was looking for something like this when I found gphoto, now I have
a chance at taking pictures from my web page!  :-)

By the way I am using a Fuji DX-10 as well.  Very good camera for its
price and intended use!

Thanks again!

>>I have a Fujifilm MX-1200 digital camera that connects to the
>>back of my computer via a serial port.  The software for this
>>camera has Windows 98/NT and Mac versions, but the authors didn't
>>have the forsight to include Linux software.  Basically, from
>>what I can tell, it connects using some kind of Twain driver so
>>it can be accessed from Photoshop and Corel Draw and all of those
>>other wonderful expensive and buggy graphics programs.  Does
>>anybody have any experience hooking up this camera, or any
>>Fujifilm MX-series camera, or any digital camera in general, to
>>Linux.  I'm currently running Mandrake 7, which is compatable
>>(sort of) with RedHat.  Any input would be appreciated.  Thanks!

>I have a Fuji DX10 (predecessor to the MX1200) and I use this program:

>   http://www.veryComputer.com/~bousch/fujiplay.html

>It does exactly what a digital camera download program should do in
>my opinion:

   Doug Mitton - Brockville, Ontario, Canada
                 'City of the Thousand Islands'

          http://www.*tap.com/dmitton
         Other: mitton.dyn.ml.org
   SPAM Reduction: Remove "x." from my domain.

Digital Cameras and Linux

Post by Douglas E. Mitt » Mon, 13 Mar 2000 04:00:00

This is a "slightly" off topic question.

I have modified this program to download the thumbnail images ... they
are much smaller and faster for a quick look.  Now I find that they
are not a format recognized by any of the utilities on my system.  I
did a few searches but I guess I'm not asking the right questions.

Does anyone know of a utility that will allow these thumbnails to be
viewed or converted into some usable form?

Thanks in advance!

Post by Robert W. Cunningha » Mon, 13 Mar 2000 04:00:00

> I have modified this program to download the thumbnail images ... they
> are much smaller and faster for a quick look.  Now I find that they
> are not a format recognized by any of the utilities on my system.  I
> did a few searches but I guess I'm not asking the right questions.

> Does anyone know of a utility that will allow these thumbnails to be
> viewed or converted into some usable form?

I am NOT a user of the Fuji camera being discussed, but I do have a Mustek,
and here's what little I know:

While most cameras use 24-bit JPEG (or a modified version of it) for their
main image format, the thumbnails tend to be simple headerless bitmaps with
reduced color depth (matching their reduced resolution).  You might want to
look at them with a binary editor and see if you can figure out the pixel
format manually.

If you can, then a fast and simple perl script can rearrange the data into
a recognizable format.  Probably the easiest formats to use would be XPM,
or maybe BMP.

I once had to do similar stuff to make some satellite image data viewable,
and it wasn't that hard to do, especially if you already know what the
final image is supposed to look like.

To make this easier, try taking some sample pictures of easily recognizable
objects, such as a checker board, several solid-color images (all white,
black ,red, blue, green), and maybe some color bars.  As you start to
narrow in on the encoding, images of vertical, horizontal and diagonal
lines, along with boxes and circles will help.

In all, maybe a dozen test images should allow you to properly figure
things out.

-BobC

1. RadioShack Flatfoto or Ultra-Pocket Digital Camera or Creative CardCam or Logitech Pocket Digital Camera

Hi there,

RadioShack Flatfoto
SMaL Ultra-Pocket Digital Camera
Creative CardCam
Logitech Pocket Digital Camera

does somebody know how to access one of these USB cameras with linux (RH8)?

Is it a storage, a usb-camera, some special module, or how does it work??

Thanks for the help!

DC

2. RTF Printing

3. About Digital Cameras for Linux?

4. NTFS file system mounting???

5. Linux and Digital Cameras...

6. Sorry - ppp not available on this system

7. Digital camera for Linux?

8. s390 2.4.20 compilation fix

9. Digital camera interface for linux

10. Olympus digital camera and Linux

11. Digital Camera for Linux

12. Digital Cameras and Linux

13. WTD: Info on a good digital camera for Linux...