ESS ES56V-X Data Fax Voice Modem

Post by swa.. » Wed, 08 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Greetings!

I will be installing Linux Mandrake soon, and am doinfg a bit of a
compatiability search for my current hardware.  My modem is what
appears in the subject line, and I guess I'm wondering if this will
work under Linux.

I have visited the "winmodem" site, and didn't see mine listed, but
just want to make sure it *isn't* a winmdem.  Would anyone be able to
tell me for sure?

TIA.

ESS ES56V-X Data Fax Voice Modem

Post by WarpKa » Mon, 20 Sep 1999 04:00:00

The ES56V-X is a host based modem and will not work under Linux.

Quote:> Greetings!

Post by David Coole » Thu, 30 Sep 1999 04:00:00

> whats a host based modem?

It's a modem that instead of having all the chips for signal processing
on board, it has a minimal component count, and the driver that runs
under windows is large and performs the functions of the chips that were
left off.  Also known as a winmodem.
Linux has no drivers to support these types of modems.

ESS ES56V-X Data Fax Voice Modem

whats a host based modem?

                    http://www.searchlinux.com