USR/3COM 5610 modem

Post by MU » Wed, 15 Aug 2001 08:56:32

Hi,
   I just installed mandrake 8.0 on a dual PII-333 system I picked up.
It had two nic cards but no modem and since my external modem on my
amiga is a 33.6 I decided to get a 56K modem for the peecee.  Alas there
were no external modems to be had in the local area (amazing how many
"experts" here never heard of them) so I bought a pci modem that stated
it had a hardware controller on board.  In fact it actually had some
minimal instructions for linux with it.  This is NOT a winmodem!

Unfortunately my system isn't dealing with it.  I can't get the system
to recognize the modem in Kppp.  HardDrake "sees" it but evidently I
don't have it on the right com port (life was simpler on the amiga).
After some research and reading I believe that the modem should be on
ttys4....not sure which irq....but ttys4 is not listed under the options
on Kppp.  That only goes up to ttys3.....why I don't know...maybe it
hates me.

IS there anyone out there in this group that can help me out with this.
I come from a 680X0 system background and this irq and com port buisness
is making my head hurt.

Thanks!

Coldfire

USR/3COM 5610 modem

Post by JYC » Wed, 15 Aug 2001 14:34:20

> Hi,
>    I just installed mandrake 8.0 on a dual PII-333 system I picked up.
> It had two nic cards but no modem and since my external modem on my
> amiga is a 33.6 I decided to get a 56K modem for the peecee.  Alas there
> were no external modems to be had in the local area (amazing how many
> "experts" here never heard of them) so I bought a pci modem that stated
> it had a hardware controller on board.  In fact it actually had some
> minimal instructions for linux with it.  This is NOT a winmodem!

> Unfortunately my system isn't dealing with it.  I can't get the system
> to recognize the modem in Kppp.  HardDrake "sees" it but evidently I
> don't have it on the right com port (life was simpler on the amiga).
> After some research and reading I believe that the modem should be on
> ttys4....not sure which irq....but ttys4 is not listed under the options
> on Kppp.  That only goes up to ttys3.....why I don't know...maybe it
> hates me.

> IS there anyone out there in this group that can help me out with this.
> I come from a 680X0 system background and this irq and com port buisness
> is making my head hurt.

> Thanks!

> Coldfire

Read this

http://www.caldera.com/SxS/modem3.htm

JYC

USR/3COM 5610 modem

Post by Vladimir Florinsk » Wed, 15 Aug 2001 15:11:08

Quote:> Hi,
>    I just installed mandrake 8.0 on a dual PII-333 system I picked up.
> It had two nic cards but no modem and since my external modem on my
> amiga is a 33.6 I decided to get a 56K modem for the peecee.  Alas there
> were no external modems to be had in the local area (amazing how many
> "experts" here never heard of them) so I bought a pci modem that stated
> it had a hardware controller on board.  In fact it actually had some
> minimal instructions for linux with it.  This is NOT a winmodem!

Yes, we know. You wouldn't believe if I told you how many times people
have asked this before.

Quote:> Unfortunately my system isn't dealing with it.  I can't get the system
> to recognize the modem in Kppp.  HardDrake "sees" it but evidently I
> don't have it on the right com port (life was simpler on the amiga).
> After some research and reading I believe that the modem should be on
> ttys4....not sure which irq....but ttys4 is not listed under the options
> on Kppp.  That only goes up to ttys3.....why I don't know...maybe it
> hates me.

Since you have a 2.4 kernel, your modem is configured at boot time. You
will see something like this in the log:

PCI: Found IRQ 10 for device 00:0b.0
ttyS04 at port 0xe400 (irq = 10) is a 16550A

Here I have a similar modem on ttyS4. Many programs rely on existence of
the link /dev/modem which should point to the actual serial device, you
may need to create it. Note that COM ports are for DOS/Windows only, we
don't have them in Linux.

--

Vladimir

1. 3Com USR 5610 PCI Modem Problems

I am an absolute newbie to Linux.  Running Mandrake 6.0 (the one that came
with Maximum Linux last fall) in a dual-boot situation on a P233MMX.  I've
got just about everything working.  A background in IRIX has seemed to help
me some.  Linux runs so much faster on this old horse.  However, my modem is
giving me problems.

I originally had a winmodem and ditched it after reading the listings at
www.o2.net
On that site they had listed the 3Com 3CP5610 as being "OK" for Linux.
Another entry on the Mandrake FAQ confirmed that, indeed, at least somebody
was able to make this work.  No me though....

I think the problem may stem from the fact that in Win95, the modem shows up
at Com5.  A check at 3Com confirmed this to be true and that it is not
changeable.  (This modem is jumperless)  They say that it will show up at
Com4 in other OS's but they don't include Linux in that list of "others."

I'm trying to use kppp and of course can only select com1-4 for my modem.
Has anyone else run into this before?  Is the answer right in front of my
eyes?  Any help would be appreciated.

Most humbly
web

2. Does anyone have RealPlayer working on FreebSd?

3. Solved: configuration of 3Com/USR 5610 PCI modem

4. I was hacked - nobody (0/1)

5. USR/3COM 56K PCI FaxModem Model 5610 config

6. soe refreshing XXX_PASSWORDS with custom hacks...

7. Help with 3Com 5610 modem

8. Unix Verses Dos

9. USR 5610 Modem

10. Help with 3Com 5610 modem

11. USR 56k 5610 Modem: How to get it to work in FreeBSD 4.4 stable

12. Help with a 3Com 5610 modem

13. 5610 USR modem issues