RAM 128 MB

Post by Tux » Sat, 08 May 1999 04:00:00

I know this was posted awhile ago on this list somewhere concerning having
more than 64 MB of RAM.  I just recently upgrade my RAM fm 64 MB to 128 MB.
Window95/NT seems to be able to see the 128 MB of RAM, but for some reason
RH5.2 Linux can only see 64 MB.  Can someone either re-post the email
concerning this problem or please help?  Of all the books I've been reading
on Linux I can't seem to find the area concerning RAM.

Thanks in Advance.

RAM 128 MB

Post by bro.. » Sun, 09 May 1999 04:00:00

>I know this was posted awhile ago on this list somewhere concerning having
>more than 64 MB of RAM.  I just recently upgrade my RAM fm 64 MB to 128 MB.
>Window95/NT seems to be able to see the 128 MB of RAM, but for some reason
>RH5.2 Linux can only see 64 MB.  Can someone either re-post the email
>concerning this problem or please help?  Of all the books I've been reading
>on Linux I can't seem to find the area concerning RAM.

>Thanks in Advance.

Do you have the RH52 Install Manual? If so, look on page 263.
If not, give this a shot. At the Lilo prompt type:   linux mem=128M
After the machine boots use the command "free" to see if the full 128M
was recognised by the kernel. If so, append a line reading:
 append="mem=128M"    to the bottom of  /etc/lilo.conf

RAM 128 MB

Post by Nuno Pinha » Sun, 09 May 1999 04:00:00

u must pass mem=128M to the kernel
:)
rAtOOn

Quote:>I know this was posted awhile ago on this list somewhere concerning having
>more than 64 MB of RAM.  I just recently upgrade my RAM fm 64 MB to 128 MB.
>Window95/NT seems to be able to see the 128 MB of RAM, but for some reason
>RH5.2 Linux can only see 64 MB.  Can someone either re-post the email
>concerning this problem or please help?  Of all the books I've been reading
>on Linux I can't seem to find the area concerning RAM.

>Thanks in Advance.

RAM 128 MB

Post by Eric Lee Gre » Sun, 09 May 1999 04:00:00

>I know this was posted awhile ago on this list somewhere concerning having
>more than 64 MB of RAM.  I just recently upgrade my RAM fm 64 MB to 128 MB.
>Window95/NT seems to be able to see the 128 MB of RAM, but for some reason
>RH5.2 Linux can only see 64 MB.  Can someone either re-post the email
>concerning this problem or please help?  Of all the books I've been reading
>on Linux I can't seem to find the area concerning RAM.

Upgrade to the release 2.0.36-3 kernel package from updates.redhat.com.
If it still refuses to see your memory, put this statement right under
the "image=" statement in your /etc/lilo.conf:

append="mem=128m"

Then  run /sbin/lilo

--

   One database programmer/system administrator for hire, see web site above

RAM 128 MB

Post by Hunter Thoma » Sun, 09 May 1999 04:00:00

Or upgrade to 2.2.5, either way. But he's right, that's how you pass the kernel
boot paramaters every time you start up. You can also pass it parameters at the
lilo boot prompt. Just append the param to the end of boot image name. I don't
know what would happen if you passed win98 boot params. Who knows, probobly
something bad.

Post by Jürgen Exne » Sun, 09 May 1999 04:00:00

> I know this was posted awhile ago on this list somewhere concerning having
> more than 64 MB of RAM.

You are right, this has been asked hundreds of times.

Quote:>I just recently upgrade my RAM fm 64 MB to 128 MB.
> Window95/NT seems to be able to see the 128 MB of RAM, but for some reason
> RH5.2 Linux can only see 64 MB.  Can someone either re-post the email
> concerning this problem or please help?

Please let us know which problems you have to connect to dejanews, maybe we
can help you to fix them.

jue
--
Jrgen Exner