mount hangs while mounting USB storage device

mount hangs while mounting USB storage device

Post by Patrick Kraue » Sat, 16 Oct 2004 19:11:00

Hello NG,

i'm using SuSe 8.1.
When I try to mount my iPod on the mount command hangs.
Even if I try "kill -9" it doesnt stop. The only way (from my point of view)
is to reboot linux.
Has anybody a idea how to:
- mount the iPod as a filesystem?
- kill the* mount command?

Regards,

Patrick

mount hangs while mounting USB storage device

Post by Dances With Crow » Sat, 16 Oct 2004 22:38:27

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 12:11:00 +0200, Patrick Krauer staggered into the
Black Sun and said:

Quote:> i'm using SuSe 8.1.  When I try to mount my iPod on the mount command
> hangs.  Even if I try "kill -9" it doesnt stop. The only way (from my
> point of view) is to reboot linux.

What kernel version are you using?  Is this iPod USB2 or Firewire?  Do
you have support for HFS+ available?  Have you read the web pages about
getting the iPod to work with Linux?

Quote:> Has anybody a idea how to mount the iPod as a filesystem?

modprobe the appropriate USB2 or Firewire modules (ehci_hcd, ohci1394),
modprobe scsi_mod sd_mod, plug device in, make sure it shows up in
/proc/scsi/scsi , mount it.  You may need a special userspace program or
2 to use the iPod properly.  Google "ipod linux" for more information.
And update your kernel; the kernel that came with SuSE 8.1 is old.  The
latest stable version is 2.4.26 or 2.6.8.

Quote:> - kill the* mount command?

You can't.  When a process is stuck in state D, as the mount command is
here, it won't respond to any signals, not even SIGKILL.  The process is
waiting for a system call to return, and until that system call returns,
it'll be stuck in state D.  There is no way to kill a process in the
middle of a system call--this is actually a design feature.  (What
should happen when a process is in the middle of a syscall and it gets
killed?  If you find out, tell the kernel developers.)

You should look through the output of dmesg and the /var/log/messages
file for any strange-looking errors and post the relevant parts.  That
will tell us more about what's really happening when the mount command
gets stuck.  HTH,

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /    mail: TRAP + SPAN don't belong
http://www.veryComputer.com/     /                Hire me!
-----------------------------/ http://www.veryComputer.com/~mhgraham/resume

Post by Jules Duboi » Sun, 17 Oct 2004 01:30:15

> On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 12:11:00 +0200, Patrick Krauer staggered into the
> Black Sun and said:
>> i'm using SuSe 8.1.  When I try to mount my iPod on the mount command
>> hangs.  Even if I try "kill -9" it doesnt stop. The only way (from my
>> point of view) is to reboot linux.

> What kernel version are you using?  Is this iPod USB2 or Firewire?  Do
> you have support for HFS+ available?  Have you read the web pages about
> getting the iPod to work with Linux?

Or has the OP reformatted ("restored") the iPod for FAT32?

Quote:>> Has anybody a idea how to mount the iPod as a filesystem?
> modprobe the appropriate USB2 or Firewire modules (ehci_hcd, ohci1394),
> modprobe scsi_mod sd_mod, plug device in, make sure it shows up in
> /proc/scsi/scsi , mount it.

Works for me.

Quote:> You may need a special userspace program or 2 to use the iPod properly.

I like gtkpod.

Quote:> Google "ipod linux" for more information.

Excellent advice.

mount hangs while mounting USB storage device

Post by Patrick Kraue » Wed, 27 Oct 2004 00:50:07

Hi NG,

I upgraded now my Kernel from 2.4.19 to 2.6.8.1. Now, none of the USB
devices works anymore, but doesn't give a error message...

Any idea?

Regards
Patrick

Quote:> On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 12:11:00 +0200, Patrick Krauer staggered into the
> Black Sun and said:
> > i'm using SuSe 8.1.  When I try to mount my iPod on the mount command
> > hangs.  Even if I try "kill -9" it doesnt stop. The only way (from my
> > point of view) is to reboot linux.

> What kernel version are you using?  Is this iPod USB2 or Firewire?  Do
> you have support for HFS+ available?  Have you read the web pages about
> getting the iPod to work with Linux?

> > Has anybody a idea how to mount the iPod as a filesystem?

> modprobe the appropriate USB2 or Firewire modules (ehci_hcd, ohci1394),
> modprobe scsi_mod sd_mod, plug device in, make sure it shows up in
> /proc/scsi/scsi , mount it.  You may need a special userspace program or
> 2 to use the iPod properly.  Google "ipod linux" for more information.
> And update your kernel; the kernel that came with SuSE 8.1 is old.  The
> latest stable version is 2.4.26 or 2.6.8.

> > - kill the* mount command?

> You can't.  When a process is stuck in state D, as the mount command is
> here, it won't respond to any signals, not even SIGKILL.  The process is
> waiting for a system call to return, and until that system call returns,
> it'll be stuck in state D.  There is no way to kill a process in the
> middle of a system call--this is actually a design feature.  (What
> should happen when a process is in the middle of a syscall and it gets
> killed?  If you find out, tell the kernel developers.)

> You should look through the output of dmesg and the /var/log/messages
> file for any strange-looking errors and post the relevant parts.  That
> will tell us more about what's really happening when the mount command
> gets stuck.  HTH,

> --
> Matt G|There is no Darkness in Eternity/But only Light too dim for us to
see
> Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /    mail: TRAP + SPAN don't belong
> http://www.veryComputer.com/     /                Hire me!
> -----------------------------/ http://www.veryComputer.com/~mhgraham/resume

1. fujitsu finepix mount usb storage device

I have this:

   Host scsi1: usb-storage
       Vendor: Fujifilm
      Product: USB Mass Storage
Serial Number: Y-334^^^^^011029X0000003016142
     Protocol: 8070i
    Transport: Control/Bulk/Interrupt
         GUID: 04cb01002b10000003016142
     Attached: Yes

It indicates to me the drive is correctly detected and whatnot.
However..

mount: /dev/sda1 is not a valid block device

I've tried /dev/sga* with similar results.

I was wondering what I was doing wrong, since I've seen many people
post about this cam and not being able to use it as a cam, but they
all claim it easily works as a mass storage device.

Any help appreciated.

2. Doing a STOP+A from headless system, connected via serial port?

3. How to find out which device to mount after enabling USB storage support?

4. veritas cluster

5. USB digital camera: can't mount mass storage device

6. interesting pentium pro /linux problem

7. Mounting usb-storage device

8. Tough Question About Linux

9. mount a digital camera as a usb storage device

10. USB Storage & Mounting Read-Write

11. Mount USB mass storage on SunBlade 100/Solaris 8

12. Mounting fat32 usb mass-storage in Solaris 8

13. usb mass storage probleme (mount)