DDS3 dat drives

Post by Martin Becke » Tue, 14 Jul 1998 04:00:00

I am trying to use a DDS3 ( 12Gb dat ) on linux.
The drive appears to only operate as DDS2.

Transfer rate is about 300kb/ss using tar or dd and the tape reports
full after around 4Gb.
The drive hardware is set to compress by default.

Has anyone got a DDS3 drive to work fully under Linux.

System is HP 1554 drive, Adaptec 2940, Redhat 5.0 kernel 2.0.34

        Martin

Martin Beckett,         Institute of Astronomy, University of Cambridge

1. HP DDS3 DAT drive + Redhat 5.1 Linux + dump

I have Redhat 5.1 Linux system running and recently bought HP DDS3 DAT
drive. It seems that dump/restore program is the go for my situation. I
have two problems.

First, i can not back up more than one file system, even if i use
/dev/nst0 which is non-rewinding device.  When I store more than one
file system, restore command only shows first file system and sometimes
reports Input Error. Please help me. I didn't install any device driver
because it didn't have one with it.

Second question. for dump program what tape density and length value
should I use?

TIA
Ahrum

2. switch from gnome to kde

3. Using dump with a DDS3 DAT drive.

4. remote telnet problems

5. Installing Sony SDT-S9000 DDS3 DAT drive

6. MS Windows functions available for X?

7. DDS3 DAT DRIVE

8. Log-structured file system?

9. HP DDS3 DAT drive + Redhat 5.1 Linux + dump

10. DAT Drive & DDS/DDS2/DDS3

11. Alphaserver 800, RH6.0 and still trying to detect my Dat Drive DDS3

12. DAT Drive & DDS/DDS2/DDS3

13. HP DDS3 DAT-Streamer: Format