Newbie newbie newbie

Post by Bob Georg » Sat, 22 Nov 2003 04:50:48

Sorry to bother you all but I am not a regular LINUX user. I got myself a
version of a program called "Smoothwall" which turns an old computer system
into a firewall. (although it was a system made of mostly old components I
did put in a brand new hard disk)

When I installed the smoothwall software I didnt know that the embedded
LINUX would place some data on my hard disk's boot sector. I am now left
with a hard disk that cannot be used for a windows installation. Even after
deleting all the non-dos partitions and reformatting the disk it still has
some LINUX hiding away on it.

Can somebody please tell me a way to erase the data on the boot sector so as
to restore the disk to its out-of-the-box condition and ready to use for
windows?

Any assistance will be greatfully accepted

B.G

Newbie newbie newbie

Post by Bob Georg » Sat, 22 Nov 2003 04:58:34

I should have mentioned what the actual symptoms of the disk are:

When trying to start the hard disk after formatting, the letters LI show up
and then the system stops. Thats all that happens.

When LINUX was properly installed the word LILO would show and then the
system would start to run Smoothwall.

Newbie newbie newbie

Post by Davide Bianch » Sat, 22 Nov 2003 04:59:25

> deleting all the non-dos partitions and reformatting the disk it still has
> some LINUX hiding away on it.

Use fdisk /mbr from your Windows CD.

Davide

Newbie newbie newbie

Post by Ross » Sat, 22 Nov 2003 07:29:22

Quote:> I should have mentioned what the actual symptoms of the disk are:

> When trying to start the hard disk after formatting, the letters LI
> show up and then the system stops. Thats all that happens.

> When LINUX was properly installed the word LILO would show and then
> the system would start to run Smoothwall.

It's trying to boot linux (which isn't there).  If you have a bootable
windows installation CD, just change your computer's BIOS to try to boot
from the CD before the hard drive.  From there you should be able able to
completely ruin a perfectly good system by installing windows.

--
Rossz

Remove 'NOSPAM' from my email address to reply directly

Newbie newbie newbie

Post by Ed Skinne » Sun, 23 Nov 2003 21:27:53

>> deleting all the non-dos partitions and reformatting the disk it still
>> has some LINUX hiding away on it.

> Use fdisk /mbr from your Windows CD.

> Davide

Or use a Windows boot floppy and, at the command prompt, type:
fdisk /mbr

This will install the Windows boot program and remove (overwrite) LILO.
After that, you'll need to install Windows, etc...

Note that LILO, when correctly installed, can boot BOTH Windows and Linux
but the Windows booter is only able to boot Windows. Some would say that
by re-installing the Windows booter you are taking a step backwards.

Newbie newbie newbie

Post by Bob Georg » Mon, 24 Nov 2003 03:29:41

That information was extremely useful. Thank you.
Sorry to all the LINUX users who read my message and wondered why I would
want to use windows instead!

B.G

1. Newbie, Newbie, Newbie... Please be patient with me

I gotten FreeBSD installed on my Dell C600 Laptop. I've gotten the Video
drivers configured correctly, and the sound card working (finally).

One real problem so far is that I've created a user account to log into
other that root, but when I try and startx while logged into this user
accout, I get a fatal server error. I have checked the /etc/group file and
made sure the user is part of the wheel group and i can login su from that
account, but still can't startx.

Probably just my newbiedumb brain not figuring it out, but I could sure use
some help.

Any help is appreciated.

Lee

PS - Without starting a flame war, what are the advantages/diadvantages to
running Linux vs BSD?

2. Apache form script error

3. (newbie) makefile question (newbie)

4. Linux setup as IPX router and TCP/IP router??

5. From a newbie for newbies w/ Modem problems...

6. Who can tell me how to drive a zip ?

7. newbie: newbie: login problem with Linux Red Hat on IBM A20

8. gnome task list stick??

9. ksh...newbie alert..newbie alert

10. A ports guide for newbies by a newbie (Gurus check me out !)

11. Need help - Newbie-est of the Newbie's

12. Newbie (I mean REAL NEWBIE) question

13. Slackware 96 newbie to newbie