Video Card Advice

Post by tim.. » Thu, 01 Feb 2001 01:06:10

I am planning on building a Linux machine using
the Redhat 7 distribution.  My question is: What
video card would you recommend, for around $90 to
$100?  I do a little of everything, my main
concerns with a video card are compatibility,
stability and resolution/refresh rate. (BSD
compatibility would be nice too) I am not a big
gamer so performance isnt a big deal, but I run
my desktop at least at 1280 by 1040, so
resolution may be an issue.  I was thinking about
the Matrox 400, but it seems to be rather pricey,
for what appears to be an older card.

So far this is what I have planned:
Redhat Linux 7.0
ASUS A7Pro No Audio
AMD T-Bird 1.0GHz
128MB PC133 RAM
IBM Deskstar 75GXP 30GB HD
???Video Card???
SB Live Value
Toshiba 48x IDE CDRom
Linksys NIC

What do you think? Is this going to work?

Thanks,
Tim

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

Video Card Advice

Post by Shannon Hil » Thu, 01 Feb 2001 03:26:04

> I am planning on building a Linux machine using
> the Redhat 7 distribution.  My question is: What
> video card would you recommend, for around $90 to
> $100?  I do a little of everything, my main
> concerns with a video card are compatibility,
> stability and resolution/refresh rate. (BSD
> compatibility would be nice too) I am not a big
> gamer so performance isn't a big deal, but I run
> my desktop at least at 1280 by 1040, so
> resolution may be an issue.  I was thinking about
> the Matrox 400, but it seems to be rather pricey,
> for what appears to be an older card.

> So far this is what I have planned:
> Redhat Linux 7.0
> ASUS A7Pro No Audio
> AMD T-Bird 1.0GHz
> 128MB PC133 RAM
> IBM Deskstar 75GXP 30GB HD
> ???Video Card???
> SB Live Value
> Toshiba 48x IDE CDRom
> Linksys NIC

> What do you think? Is this going to work?

> Thanks,
> Tim

> Sent via Deja.com
> http://www.deja.com/

For good value, I like the Diamond Viper II,
works well in both win98 and linux.

--
Shannon Hill
Tenor Networks, Inc.

Theatre is Life; Film is Art; Television is Furniture.

Video Card Advice

Post by Keith Wheele » Thu, 01 Feb 2001 02:40:44

Tim,

I'm using the 3dfx Voodoo5 5500 AGP, which is significantly more than your
price range allows. I have had no problems with it whatsoever. But perhaps
you could get the 3dfx Voodoo3 card as it should fit into your range. You
didn't say whether you preferred PCI or AGP. The AGP card will be
significantly faster.

Check http://www.spartantech.com/ for good prices on 3dfx video cards.

Good Luck,
KW

> I am planning on building a Linux machine using
> the Redhat 7 distribution.  My question is: What
> video card would you recommend, for around $90 to
> $100?  I do a little of everything, my main
> concerns with a video card are compatibility,
> stability and resolution/refresh rate. (BSD
> compatibility would be nice too) I am not a big
> gamer so performance isn't a big deal, but I run
> my desktop at least at 1280 by 1040, so
> resolution may be an issue.  I was thinking about
> the Matrox 400, but it seems to be rather pricey,
> for what appears to be an older card.

> So far this is what I have planned:
> Redhat Linux 7.0
> ASUS A7Pro No Audio
> AMD T-Bird 1.0GHz
> 128MB PC133 RAM
> IBM Deskstar 75GXP 30GB HD
> ???Video Card???
> SB Live Value
> Toshiba 48x IDE CDRom
> Linksys NIC

> What do you think? Is this going to work?

> Thanks,
> Tim

> Sent via Deja.com
> http://www.deja.com/

Video Card Advice

Post by lobotom » Thu, 01 Feb 2001 09:54:07

You can probably find a Matrox G450 for under $100.  There is no better
card for 2d, and it does have OpenGL support in XFree86 4.0.2.  Of course
the 3d is slower than the Geforce2 MX, but unless your sole purpose is
building a * machine,
2d quality is more important.

One other comment on the machine:  If you are going to run only Linux, the
SB Live is probably overkill, because most of its more interesting
features are only supported in the Windows drivers.  You can get something
like a low-end sb pci, or a cheap ESS or yamaha card, for less that will
do everything in linux that the live will.

--
PC Chips actually goes by many names. PCChips = Ability = Alton = Amptron =
Aristo = Asia Gate = Asiatech = Assa = Atrend = Elpina = Eurone = Fugu =

Video Card Advice

Post by Kenneth R?rv » Thu, 01 Feb 2001 17:10:40

Quote:>I am planning on building a Linux machine using
>the Redhat 7 distribution.  My question is: What
>video card would you recommend, for around $90 to
>$100?

I'd recommend a GeForce 2 MX card, it is not too expensive, and the new
drivers from Nvidia give good 3d performance under XF86 4.0.2.

--
Kenneth R?rvik         91841353/22950312

0875 OSLO               home.no.net/stasis

1. WTD: Sound card/video card advice

I'm currently looking at building a computer for linux/windows dual boot. It
will be primarily used for linux, but I will be booting into windows for
games/DVD.

I would like to have a good 3D card for games, and that is also supported
with linux. I will be running RH 6.0. I was initially planning on getting a
rage 128 and a SB live, but after reading about the problems some people are
having getting them to work, I don't think I'm up for that much work. (I'm a
bit of a newbie to linux)

anyhow, and help/advice would be greatly appreciated!

-Terrell Smith

2. multy startx

3. Video Card Advice

4. Need a NIC driver

5. video card advice

6. xf86OpenCOnsole

7. Looking for PCI video card advice

8. Wearness CDD110 driver

9. Video card advice for a new Linux system

10. Video card advice

11. Seeking video card advice

12. PCI Video card advice

13. Need Video Card Advice for Red Hat 6.0