Jazz SCSI drive

Jazz SCSI drive

Post by JF Kobu » Wed, 07 Jul 1999 04:00:00



Hi L-people,

I've just installed Caldera's distribution of Linux. Seems to be working
just fine. Only bought a softmodem (a few weeks ago) which was a mistake.
Anyway, the real problem is the following. I can't mount to my SCSI-devices
(1 = CD burner, 2=Jazz 2GB). Allthough XRoaster recognises my Yamaha
CD-Burner!

Mounting, as said, is fairly difficult. I tried:
mount ext2 (also msdos/vfat/default) /dev/sda /mnt/Jazz2GB
but message are allways: fs not supported blablabla...
also edited fstab and added some lines with the previous statement.

During boot Linux is activating the Jazz-drive and SCSI is fully supported.
What do i do wrong ? Is Jazz allready loaded in the kernel (if so, how in
heavens name can i mount to it ?) or is it just a boot-check for all devices
mounted to my SCSI host adapter ?

Thanks for your help

Jan-Frederik Kobus

-x- Help me get rid of Winblows -x-
-x- When Linux works 100 %, my Windows CD will become a frisbee -x-

 
 
 

Jazz SCSI drive

Post by mck.. » Wed, 07 Jul 1999 04:00:00


On Tue, 6 Jul 1999 23:59:33 +0200, "JF Kobus"


>Hi L-people,

>I've just installed Caldera's distribution of Linux. Seems to be working
>just fine. Only bought a softmodem (a few weeks ago) which was a mistake.
>Anyway, the real problem is the following. I can't mount to my SCSI-devices
>(1 = CD burner, 2=Jazz 2GB). Allthough XRoaster recognises my Yamaha
>CD-Burner!

>Mounting, as said, is fairly difficult. I tried:
>mount ext2 (also msdos/vfat/default) /dev/sda /mnt/Jazz2GB

The "/dev/sda" is your problem.  You are trying to mount the physical
device which is recognized as the first hard drive on your SCSI chain.

Since a Jazz disk is a hard drive like anything else, you need to
mount a _partition_ on the device which contains a filesystem.  Most
Jazz disks are pre-formatted with one DOS partition, and that
partition is (for some reason) /dev/sdX4 (X being an "a" in this
case).

So your mount command should be "mount -t vfat /dev/sda4
/mnt/Jazz2GB".  If you will be using this only under linux, you might
want to reformat the disk (cfdisk /dev/sda; mkfs.ext2 /dev/sda1).

You should also add the disk into the /etc/fstab so that you can just
type "mount /mnt/Jazz2GB".

The CD Burner can be mounted the same way, since it should be detected
and automatically become the /dev/scd0 device.  Use "mount -t iso9660
/dev/scd0 /mnt/cdrom".  XCDRoast (as you said) already finds the
writable part of the CD Burner.

Quote:>but message are allways: fs not supported blablabla...
>also edited fstab and added some lines with the previous statement.

>During boot Linux is activating the Jazz-drive and SCSI is fully supported.
>What do i do wrong ? Is Jazz allready loaded in the kernel (if so, how in
>heavens name can i mount to it ?) or is it just a boot-check for all devices
>mounted to my SCSI host adapter ?

>Thanks for your help

>Jan-Frederik Kobus

>-x- Help me get rid of Winblows -x-
>-x- When Linux works 100 %, my Windows CD will become a frisbee -x-


 
 
 

Jazz SCSI drive

Post by JF Kobu » Thu, 08 Jul 1999 04:00:00


WOW !

Asking Caldera for help (which will do probably) will take 1 day (no
offence, fine people overthere). Asking this group for help just takes only
a couple of minutes.

fantastic, thank you very much !

Now i'm gonna log into Linux again.

In a week i'll be able to surf on a ethernet-card, so by then it will be
Linux only !!

Thanks again

Jan-Frederik


> On Tue, 6 Jul 1999 23:59:33 +0200, "JF Kobus"

> >Hi L-people,

> >I've just installed Caldera's distribution of Linux. Seems to be working
> >just fine. Only bought a softmodem (a few weeks ago) which was a mistake.
> >Anyway, the real problem is the following. I can't mount to my
SCSI-devices
> >(1 = CD burner, 2=Jazz 2GB). Allthough XRoaster recognises my Yamaha
> >CD-Burner!

> >Mounting, as said, is fairly difficult. I tried:
> >mount ext2 (also msdos/vfat/default) /dev/sda /mnt/Jazz2GB

> The "/dev/sda" is your problem.  You are trying to mount the physical
> device which is recognized as the first hard drive on your SCSI chain.

> Since a Jazz disk is a hard drive like anything else, you need to
> mount a _partition_ on the device which contains a filesystem.  Most
> Jazz disks are pre-formatted with one DOS partition, and that
> partition is (for some reason) /dev/sdX4 (X being an "a" in this
> case).

> So your mount command should be "mount -t vfat /dev/sda4
> /mnt/Jazz2GB".  If you will be using this only under linux, you might
> want to reformat the disk (cfdisk /dev/sda; mkfs.ext2 /dev/sda1).

> You should also add the disk into the /etc/fstab so that you can just
> type "mount /mnt/Jazz2GB".

> The CD Burner can be mounted the same way, since it should be detected
> and automatically become the /dev/scd0 device.  Use "mount -t iso9660
> /dev/scd0 /mnt/cdrom".  XCDRoast (as you said) already finds the
> writable part of the CD Burner.

> >but message are allways: fs not supported blablabla...
> >also edited fstab and added some lines with the previous statement.

> >During boot Linux is activating the Jazz-drive and SCSI is fully
supported.
> >What do i do wrong ? Is Jazz allready loaded in the kernel (if so, how in
> >heavens name can i mount to it ?) or is it just a boot-check for all
devices
> >mounted to my SCSI host adapter ?

> >Thanks for your help

> >Jan-Frederik Kobus

> >-x- Help me get rid of Winblows -x-
> >-x- When Linux works 100 %, my Windows CD will become a frisbee -x-