netgear print server PS110 w/ two printers?

netgear print server PS110 w/ two printers?

Post by Peter Teube » Wed, 19 Jul 2000 04:00:00



I have been using a netgear PS110 print server with one printer, but I
don't seem to be able to talk to the second. Somebody once
told me to use the rp= directive in /etc/printcap for this,
so the printcap would look as follows:

ps:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
        :mx#0:\
        :sh:\
        :rm=192.168.1.101:\
        :rp=P1:\
        :if=/var/spool/lpd/lp/filter:
ps2:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
        :mx#0:\
        :sh:\
        :rm=192.168.1.101:\
        :rp=P2:\
        :if=/var/spool/lpd/lp/filter:

but all traffic sent to 'ps2' still winds up on the first (ps)
printer...

btw, it works fine from my wife's Windows box, she can send to P1 and
P2.

-  peter

 
 
 

netgear print server PS110 w/ two printers?

Post by John Ba » Wed, 19 Jul 2000 04:00:00


Have you tried specifying the logical ports (L1 and L2) instead of the
physical ports?

> I have been using a netgear PS110 print server with one printer, but I
> don't seem to be able to talk to the second. Somebody once
> told me to use the rp= directive in /etc/printcap for this,
> so the printcap would look as follows:

> ps:\
>         :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
>         :mx#0:\
>         :sh:\
>         :rm=192.168.1.101:\
>         :rp=P1:\
>         :if=/var/spool/lpd/lp/filter:
> ps2:\
>         :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
>         :mx#0:\
>         :sh:\
>         :rm=192.168.1.101:\
>         :rp=P2:\
>         :if=/var/spool/lpd/lp/filter:

> but all traffic sent to 'ps2' still winds up on the first (ps)
> printer...

> btw, it works fine from my wife's Windows box, she can send to P1 and
> P2.

> -  peter


 
 
 

netgear print server PS110 w/ two printers?

Post by Peter Teube » Wed, 19 Jul 2000 04:00:00



> Have you tried specifying the logical ports (L1 and L2) instead of the
> physical ports?

Just tried it....same result, only prints to the first printer. I used
        :rp=L2:\
and also removed the otherwise redundant if= filter line,
since it's a straight through (postscript) printer.

I wonder where  you found the P1,P2,L1,L2 info...maybe there is more
there
that I could try out.

I've sent a message to the helpdesk at netgear, maybe they know. I'll
report
here if something useful comes out of that.

- peter


> > I have been using a netgear PS110 print server with one printer, but I
> > don't seem to be able to talk to the second. Somebody once
> > told me to use the rp= directive in /etc/printcap for this,
> > so the printcap would look as follows:

> > ps:\
> >         :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
> >         :mx#0:\
> >         :sh:\
> >         :rm=192.168.1.101:\
> >         :rp=P1:\
> >         :if=/var/spool/lpd/lp/filter:
> > ps2:\
> >         :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
> >         :mx#0:\
> >         :sh:\
> >         :rm=192.168.1.101:\
> >         :rp=P2:\
> >         :if=/var/spool/lpd/lp/filter:

> > but all traffic sent to 'ps2' still winds up on the first (ps)
> > printer...

> > btw, it works fine from my wife's Windows box, she can send to P1 and
> > P2.

> > -  peter

 
 
 

netgear print server PS110 w/ two printers?

Post by root » Thu, 20 Jul 2000 04:00:00




> > Have you tried specifying the logical ports (L1 and L2) instead of the
> > physical ports?

> Just tried it....same result, only prints to the first printer. I used
>         :rp=L2:\
> and also removed the otherwise redundant if= filter line,
> since it's a straight through (postscript) printer.

> I wonder where  you found the P1,P2,L1,L2 info...maybe there is more
> there
> that I could try out.

> I've sent a message to the helpdesk at netgear, maybe they know. I'll
> report
> here if something useful comes out of that.

> - peter


> > > I have been using a netgear PS110 print server with one printer, but I
> > > don't seem to be able to talk to the second. Somebody once
> > > told me to use the rp= directive in /etc/printcap for this,
> > > so the printcap would look as follows:

> > > ps:\
> > >         :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
> > >         :mx#0:\
> > >         :sh:\
> > >         :rm=192.168.1.101:\
> > >         :rp=P1:\
> > >         :if=/var/spool/lpd/lp/filter:
> > > ps2:\
> > >         :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
> > >         :mx#0:\
> > >         :sh:\
> > >         :rm=192.168.1.101:\
> > >         :rp=P2:\
> > >         :if=/var/spool/lpd/lp/filter:

> > > but all traffic sent to 'ps2' still winds up on the first (ps)
> > > printer...

> > > btw, it works fine from my wife's Windows box, she can send to P1 and
> > > P2.

> > > -  peter

http://www.netgear.com//support/support_ps100/ps100installref.pdf

This is probably also somewhere on your CD-ROM.

 
 
 

netgear print server PS110 w/ two printers?

Post by Peter Teube » Fri, 21 Jul 2000 04:00:00



> I have been using a netgear PS110 print server with one printer, but I
> don't seem to be able to talk to the second. Somebody once
> told me to use the rp= directive in /etc/printcap for this,
> so the printcap would look as follows:

> ps:\
>         :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
>         :mx#0:\
>         :sh:\
>         :rm=192.168.1.101:\
>         :rp=P1:\
>         :if=/var/spool/lpd/lp/filter:
> ps2:\
>         :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
>         :mx#0:\
>         :sh:\
>         :rm=192.168.1.101:\
>         :rp=P2:\
>         :if=/var/spool/lpd/lp/filter:

> but all traffic sent to 'ps2' still winds up on the first (ps)
> printer...

> btw, it works fine from my wife's Windows box, she can send to P1 and
> P2.

ok, problem solved. The printcap was fine, despite that I installed the
2nd
new printer, it was never properly written into the firmware of the
print
server it seemed. I tried various, but in the end re-installing all the
netgear software solved the whole problem (although at one stage there
was
the humerous situation where linux would talk to both printers, and
windows
would not talk  to the 2nd printer. Again solved by removing the printer
entry and re-installing it.  Sigh....

peter

 
 
 

1. HP OfficeJet R40 (as scanner) and Netgear PS110 (printer server)

I was able to configure my Mandrake 9.0 system to use a remote printer (HP OfficeJet
R40) via Netgear's PS110 printer server.  I am able to print but I just realized
that I could no longer use the printer to scan (via xsane) (it's a printer, scanner
and copier in one).

Is there a way to configure xsane to use this remote printer as a remote scanner?

2. Help!! Undoing mkswap

3. Printing to two printers from one queue (Printers print identically not load balancing)

4. NFS between Sparc and VAX Poor performance....

5. LaserJet 5, Netgear PS110, and Solaris 9

6. uml-patch-2.5.58-1

7. Two printers on one print server

8. IDE ATAPI problems ...

9. Two USB printers on a USB print server

10. Netgear RT314 / one ip/ two web servers

11. print client can't print to 2.6 printer server

12. Solaris printer server printing garbage to all printers.

13. Printing to networked printers through Linux using X-stations as print servers