HELP: null modem and getty

Post by Patrick Droui » Sat, 20 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Hello everyone,

 I have a problem with my Linux and a Win95 PC box I want to use to log
in using a null modem. I had the setup working on my old Slackware
install but I have installed Red Hat 5.2 and I just can't get it to
work... (yeah, yeah, I should have kept a copy of my config files)

 Anyhow, here are the files I have as of now:

/etc/inittab
t1:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty ttyS1 DT9600 vt100

/etc/gettydefs

 In fact, I did get this to work for a few minutes but it crashed during
a file transfer and it now refuses to work. I have cheked the running
processes and the getty is there. If I kill it and restart it, I will
see the login prompt show up on the Win95 box but I can't enter
anything. Do I need any other files in /etc/default to get ttyS1 to
work?

 I have double-checked and this is not a problem with the echo setting,
I have tried to do a login even tough nothing happens and I can't get
the HD to spin. The FAQs did mention to similar problems and refered to
the IRQ settings but I know for a fact this was not changed since my
Slackware install.

 Any help will be appreciated.
 Regards,
 Patrick

[...]

1. Null Modem Cables & (x)getty

This is a cry for help.  If anyone has accomplished this, PLEASE mail me
with the details of how you did it.  Here is what we are trying to do:

We have 2 pc's running linux 1.2.13, the slackware distribution.  We have
downloaded getty_ps and mgetty.  We also have the original getty.  We are
trying to set them up so they can log into one another (or even just set
up ONE loggin in to the other, we don't need it both ways) over a null
modem cable.  They both have modern UART cards.  We have had almost NO
luck.  The nearest we got was to get a broken welcome message from mgetty
using the -r flag.  It gets fatal errors on the box running the mgetty,
and "Can't get TIO"

Please please - if you have set up a linux machine to use a null modem
cable, please send me the getty program you used, and the configuration
files used for it, and even the pinout of the cable used if you can!!?!?!

If you couldn't have guessed, I am desperate.  More than desperate.  I am
crying on my keyboard (well, maybe not THAT desperate!)  I have gotten
this machine to sit up and beg and all sorts of other tricks, but this
one problem has brought me to my knees.  Thanks very much everyone for
listening to my sob story.

Marc Lueck
The Guardian Newspaper
London

2. Installing Without RAMDISK

3. getty and NULL modem

4. Linux install

5. HELP: 2>&1 > /dev/null != 2>&- > /dev/null ???

6. why can't i login?

7. Setting getty to answer the modem - help!

8. How do I change a bunch of file names?

9. Help with incoming modems and getty urgently requested!

10. help setting up getty for remote modem logins ans sliplogin

11. Help: getty with PPP and Maxtech modem

12. getty/modem GURU help

13. HELP: need an auto-answering modem with a getty