A new driver for Netgear fa311 netcard working on RedHat Linux 7 + kernel 2.4

A new driver for Netgear fa311 netcard working on RedHat Linux 7 + kernel 2.4

Post by Yan Den » Wed, 31 Jan 2001 13:22:32

Hi guys,

I bought a Netgear netcard fa311 and installed it and its dirver on my
RedHat Linux6.0. It worked well.

After I upgraded RedHat Linux6.0 to RedHat 7.0 ( whose kernel
is 2.2.16-22 ), it did not work. Then I upgraded the linux kernel
from 2.2.16-22 to 2.4 , and modified the source file fa311.c that
Netgear company provides with the netcard and made a new driver
for the fa311 netcard working on RedHat Linux 7.0+ kernel 2.4.

Does someone who needs a new driver for fa311 want to try to
use it(free)?

If you have questions, please feel free to ask me.

Yan Deng

A new driver for Netgear fa311 netcard working on RedHat Linux 7 + kernel 2.4

Post by Keith Wheele » Thu, 01 Feb 2001 00:20:08

Yan,

I assume the answer to this is "yes", but would this also work with the
FA-312? I'll test it if you think it will work with FA-312's. That's what I
have.

Thanks,
KW

Quote:> Hi guys,

> I bought a Netgear netcard fa311 and installed it and its dirver on my
> RedHat Linux6.0. It worked well.

> After I upgraded RedHat Linux6.0 to RedHat 7.0 ( whose kernel
> is 2.2.16-22 ), it did not work. Then I upgraded the linux kernel
> from 2.2.16-22 to 2.4 , and modified the source file fa311.c that
> Netgear company provides with the netcard and made a new driver
> for the fa311 netcard working on RedHat Linux 7.0+ kernel 2.4.

> Does someone who needs a new driver for fa311 want to try to
> use it(free)?

> If you have questions, please feel free to ask me.

> Yan Deng

A new driver for Netgear fa311 netcard working on RedHat Linux 7 + kernel 2.4

Post by Yan Den » Thu, 01 Feb 2001 04:02:13

Hi Keith,

I do not have the FA312 netcard and did not test my new driver with FA312.
I know FA311 is very different from FA310, but I do not know if FA312
is "similiar" to FA311.

If you still want to try to test my new driver with your FA312, please tell
me( then I will send it to you )

Yan Deng

> Yan,

> I assume the answer to this is "yes", but would this also work with the
> FA-312? I'll test it if you think it will work with FA-312's. That's what
> have.

> Thanks,
> KW

> > Hi guys,

> > I bought a Netgear netcard fa311 and installed it and its dirver on my
> > RedHat Linux6.0. It worked well.

> > After I upgraded RedHat Linux6.0 to RedHat 7.0 ( whose kernel
> > is 2.2.16-22 ), it did not work. Then I upgraded the linux kernel
> > from 2.2.16-22 to 2.4 , and modified the source file fa311.c that
> > Netgear company provides with the netcard and made a new driver
> > for the fa311 netcard working on RedHat Linux 7.0+ kernel 2.4.

> > Does someone who needs a new driver for fa311 want to try to
> > use it(free)?

> > If you have questions, please feel free to ask me.

> > Yan Deng

A new driver for Netgear fa311 netcard working on RedHat Linux 7 + kernel 2.4

Post by Keith Wheele » Thu, 01 Feb 2001 05:45:25

Yan,

Thank you, no. I pulled it down from the other NG where you posted it.

Yes, they both use National Semiconductor chips from the same family. There
is supposedly a generic natsemi.c module included in the 2.4.0 kernel, but I
could never get it to work. Netgear ships the same driver disk with both the
FA-311 and FA-312, so my hope is your driver may work.

Thanks, dude. I'll try to let you know if I get it working.

KW

> Hi Keith,

> I do not have the FA312 netcard and did not test my new driver with FA312.
> I know FA311 is very different from FA310, but I do not know if FA312
> is "similiar" to FA311.

> If you still want to try to test my new driver with your FA312, please
tell
> me( then I will send it to you )

> Yan Deng

> > Yan,

> > I assume the answer to this is "yes", but would this also work with the
> > FA-312? I'll test it if you think it will work with FA-312's. That's
what
> > have.

> > Thanks,
> > KW

> > > Hi guys,

> > > I bought a Netgear netcard fa311 and installed it and its dirver on my
> > > RedHat Linux6.0. It worked well.

> > > After I upgraded RedHat Linux6.0 to RedHat 7.0 ( whose kernel
> > > is 2.2.16-22 ), it did not work. Then I upgraded the linux kernel
> > > from 2.2.16-22 to 2.4 , and modified the source file fa311.c that
> > > Netgear company provides with the netcard and made a new driver
> > > for the fa311 netcard working on RedHat Linux 7.0+ kernel 2.4.

> > > Does someone who needs a new driver for fa311 want to try to
> > > use it(free)?

> > > If you have questions, please feel free to ask me.

> > > Yan Deng

A new driver for Netgear fa311 netcard working on RedHat Linux 7 + kernel 2.4

Post by Simo » Sat, 24 Feb 2001 15:30:04

Hi Yan,
   I still have the 2.2.16-22 kernel, and I am having a real hard time
making the card work.  What is involved in upgrading to the 2.4 release?
Is it a huge download?
I have been trying to get this card to work for three days now, and I am
really getting annoyed that it is coming up with a page of errors each
time I try to compile the driver.  Can I get the driver to work with my
kernel, or do I need to upgrade it?
Thanks,

> Hi guys,

> I bought a Netgear netcard fa311 and installed it and its dirver on my
> RedHat Linux6.0. It worked well.

> After I upgraded RedHat Linux6.0 to RedHat 7.0 ( whose kernel
> is 2.2.16-22 ), it did not work. Then I upgraded the linux kernel
> from 2.2.16-22 to 2.4 , and modified the source file fa311.c that
> Netgear company provides with the netcard and made a new driver
> for the fa311 netcard working on RedHat Linux 7.0+ kernel 2.4.

> Does someone who needs a new driver for fa311 want to try to
> use it(free)?

> If you have questions, please feel free to ask me.

> Yan Deng

1. I made a new driver for Netgear fa311 netcard working on RedHat Linux 7 + kernel 2.4:

Hi guys,

I bought a Netgear netcard fa311 and installed it and its dirver on my
RedHat Linux6.0. It worked well.

After I upgraded RedHat Linux6.0 to RedHat 7.0 ( whose kernel
is 2.2.16-22 ), it did not work. Then I upgraded the linux kernel
from 2.2.16-22 to 2.4 , and modified the source file fa311.c that
Netgear company provides with the netcard and made a new driver
for the fa311 netcard working on RedHat Linux 7.0+ kernel 2.4.

Does someone who needs a new driver for fa311 want to try to
use it(free)?

and

Can I provide the new source files of fa311 driver with or without
the agreement of Netgear company to public for free?

Yan Deng

2. AIC7xxx needs insmod @ each boot

3. Netgear FA311 under redhat 7.0 (linux kernel 2.2.16-22)

4. freebsd & bind4.94

5. RedHat 7.1 (kernel v2.4.2-2) and Netgear FA311

6. How to digitize from SB aux input

7. Network driver question for netgear FA311

8. question!!

9. Debian - Looking for driver for NetGear FA311

10. netgear FA311 driver?

11. Netgear FA311 and nvidia drivers

12. Netgear FA311 ethernet card Not working

13. NetGear FA311 doesn't work