Dual Speed Hubs v Switches

Post by Neil Burrow » Mon, 13 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

I'm possibly missing something fairly obvious here, but what is the main
difference between a Dual Speed Hub and a switch?

If the answer is not a lot, why is there such a huge price difference?

For example, you can get a D-Link 8-port Dual Speed hub for about 200ukp but
a simple D-Link switch with 1 10b-T and 1 100b-T will set you back the same
amount.  If the Dual Speed hub offers the same functionality what's the
difference?

As I say, I'm probably missing something obvious, but I really can't see what
it is.

(The D-link Dual speed hub I'm looking at is the DSH-8
 http://www.dlink.com/hubs/dsh8.htm)

Thanks in advance,

Neil Burrows
--

| |\   | | () \   PGP Key - http://www.remo.demon.co.uk/pgp/
\_/  \_/ \____/   WWW     - http://www.remo.demon.co.uk/

Dual Speed Hubs v Switches

Post by Dale E. Mart » Mon, 13 Jul 1998 04:00:00

> Hi,

> I'm possibly missing something fairly obvious here, but what is the main
> difference between a Dual Speed Hub and a switch?

Many of the dual speed hubs I've seen have a switch on them.  They can be a
10Mbs hub, OR a 100Mbs hub.  You could never plug in devices of two
different speeds.  (Note that I didn't look at the link you posted.)

A switch can have BOTH 100Mbs devices and 10Mbs devies connected
simultaneously, and will do buffering and so far to keep from dropping
packets.

Also, a switch generally can support any two ports talking to each other at
full speed.  So, an eight port switch could support the worst case of 4
separate 100Mbs connections and not drop packets, giving you an aggregate
bandwidth of 400Mbs.  (I guess if you're talking full duplex, you could
potentially have an aggregate bandwidth of 800Mbs on a switch.)

With a hub, if one port is talking to another at full bandwidth, the other
ports will be unable to do anything because they will be broadcasting the
same "conversation" to ALL of the ports.  Therefore, the best case
aggregate bandwidth of the hub is 100Mbs, or maybe 200Mbs if it's full
duplex.

Later,
        Dale
--
+--------------------  finger for pgp public key  ---------------------+
| Dale E. Martin |  Clifton Labs, Inc.  |  Senior Computer Engineer    |

Dual Speed Hubs v Switches

Post by Neil Burrow » Mon, 13 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

Quote:> Many of the dual speed hubs I've seen have a switch on them.  They can be a
> 10Mbs hub, OR a 100Mbs hub.  You could never plug in devices of two
> different speeds.  (Note that I didn't look at the link you posted.)

The link has the following text within the page:

" Each port on the DSH-8 supports dual 10/100Mb speeds. The hub
 auto-negotiates the speed with the connected nodes and creates independent
 10Mb and 100Mb segments. The integrated switch handles translation and
 traffic flow between the two segments."

Which suggests that both speeds can be used at the same time?

Quote:> Also, a switch generally can support any two ports talking to each other at
> full speed.  So, an eight port switch could support the worst case of 4
[snip]
> same "conversation" to ALL of the ports.  Therefore, the best case
> aggregate bandwidth of the hub is 100Mbs, or maybe 200Mbs if it's full
> duplex.

Ahhh, right.  I just couldn't figure out why the prices were more or less
the same for the 2 products.

Thanks for the info.

Neil Burrows
--

| |\   | | () \   PGP Key - http://www.remo.demon.co.uk/pgp/
\_/  \_/ \____/   WWW     - http://www.remo.demon.co.uk/

1. cheap switch or expensive hub? (switch/hub recommendations)

It seems that you can now get a:

D-Link (D-Link DSS-16 Fast Ethernet Switch 2), Nortel (Nortel NetGear
FS516), or even a Farallon (Farallon Fast Starlet Switch/ 16 PN9160),
or Intel (Intel Express 410T Standalone Switch) unmanaged switch for
the price of a 3com Superstack II 10/100 hub.

Anyone happy using these see success?

Is a cheap switch equal to, or better, then an excellant hub?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. Need help setting up a SoundBlaster

3. Speed problem w/ 10/100 mbit eth + switched hub

4. using sed

5. Dual Speed Hubs

6. SCSI AHA-152x and redhat install

7. 10BASE-T NIC and 100mbps NIC to a dual-speed hub doesn't work?

8. Tunneling with PPTP

9. Dlink's DFE-904 DUAL-SPEED HUB.

10. 3 com SSII dual speed hub

11. 3com SSII dual speed hub help!!!

12. Checking speed of dual speed network card

13. hub and switch