C-Media 9737: No sound for me?

Post by Kilian A. Fot » Tue, 10 Feb 2004 23:58:29

I appear to have bought a mainboard with an integrated AC97 sound chip
calling itself a CMI-9737. The ALSA project says nothing about this,
but SuSE 9.0 offers to use the i810 driver for it. The result is
terrible, however - deafening maximal volume with no reaction at all
to any mixer command that I can contrive. Is there any other driver
that might conceivably be used? I would be perfectly happy with simple
two-channel sound, not that modern 6-channel nonsense...

--
No animal was harmed in the composition of this message.

C-Media 9737: No sound for me?

Post by M?ns Rullg? » Wed, 11 Feb 2004 00:36:25

Quote:> I appear to have bought a mainboard with an integrated AC97 sound chip
> calling itself a CMI-9737. The ALSA project says nothing about this,
> but SuSE 9.0 offers to use the i810 driver for it. The result is
> terrible, however - deafening maximal volume with no reaction at all
> to any mixer command that I can contrive. Is there any other driver
> that might conceivably be used? I would be perfectly happy with simple
> two-channel sound, not that modern 6-channel nonsense...

The CMI9737 doesn't have a volume control.  The driver is supposed to
do it in software.  There was a discussion about this on the
alsa-devel list not long ago.  I'd do myself a favor and get a real
sound card instead.

--
M?ns Rullg?rd

C-Media 9737: No sound for me?

Post by Kilian A. Fot » Fri, 13 Feb 2004 17:41:12

>> I appear to have bought a mainboard with an integrated AC97 sound chip
>> calling itself a CMI-9737. The ALSA project says nothing about this,
>> but SuSE 9.0 offers to use the i810 driver for it. The result is
>> terrible, however - deafening maximal volume with no reaction at all
>> to any mixer command that I can contrive. Is there any other driver
>> that might conceivably be used? I would be perfectly happy with simple
>> two-channel sound, not that modern 6-channel nonsense...
> The CMI9737 doesn't have a volume control.  The driver is supposed to
> do it in software.  There was a discussion about this on the
> alsa-devel list not long ago.  I'd do myself a favor and get a real
> sound card instead.

Okay, I did further research, and ALSA really doesn't support that
card beyond plain `on/off' -- there is a vendor driver that does support
volume control, but the quality is still very bad. I got a cheap
soundblaster instead.

--
``Have you ever heard of a plan where so many things could go wrong?''

                                                  -- Ron Weasley

1. C-Media CMI8738 sound board

OK, I've got this board working on my Linux board, with one caveat - the
sound from the speakers is almost inaudible. This happens when I do a
simple cat endoftheworld > /dev/dsp.

        The speakers I borrowed from another PC which has a SoundBlaster board,
which at all times produce sound at the expected volume when linked to
that PC.

        Does this mean I need new speakers for the C-Media board? If so, what
kind? Or is there a way to increase the volume from software?

2. Apache 1.1 - Need "extra" info for a redirection

3. C-Media CMI8738 sound card for HP Vectra machine

4. accounting scripts wanted ** PLEASE **

5. Installing a C-Media sound card / Suse 9.1

6. Unix Y2K Utilities

7. Installing Roland Rap-10 midi card and C-media CM8330 sound card

8. Why the hack do my system not recognise my RAM upgrade?

9. C-Media chipsets (sound) drivers?

10. C-Media 8738 sound driver + A7M266-D problems.

11. Sound Support for ASUS A7V33 - C-Media CM8738

12. C-Media Sound Card

13. Help w/ Amptron MB/C-Media 8738 sound