When I burn to a CD-R/CD-RW, my CPU goes high in Linux

When I burn to a CD-R/CD-RW, my CPU goes high in Linux

Post by ANT.. » Tue, 02 Apr 2002 11:36:24

Is this normal for my Linux box to show high CPU usage while Plextor
12/10/32A burns to a CD-R/CD-RW? I use CD Bake Oven (KDE CD burner) and
I can see it go high as 8.xx or so. Also, some programs stopped responding
under this heavy load.

In Windows 98 and XP, I do not notice this enormous slow speed in CPU
usage. I am new with Linux and started to explore the CD burning programs
in Linux. So far, it has been frustrating unlike Nero and Adaptec Easy
CD Creator programs. :(

Thank you in advance.
--
If you are replying to Ant's news post by e-mail, please kindly remove
ANT in the return e-mail address or the ones listed below. Note: CaSe!

| |.   .| |
   \ _ /                     The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.home.dhs.org
    ( )                                               ICQ UIN: 2223658

When I burn to a CD-R/CD-RW, my CPU goes high in Linux

Post by Prasanth Kuma » Tue, 02 Apr 2002 16:43:41

Quote:> Is this normal for my Linux box to show high CPU usage while Plextor
> 12/10/32A burns to a CD-R/CD-RW? I use CD Bake Oven (KDE CD burner) and
> I can see it go high as 8.xx or so. Also, some programs stopped responding
> under this heavy load.

> In Windows 98 and XP, I do not notice this enormous slow speed in CPU
> usage. I am new with Linux and started to explore the CD burning programs
> in Linux. So far, it has been frustrating unlike Nero and Adaptec Easy
> CD Creator programs. :(

<snip>

Try xcdroast instead. It has always consumed minimal CPU resources for me.
You might also do a 'ps aux' while the burner program is loading to see
what is consuming the resources...

Post by Jacob Atze » Tue, 02 Apr 2002 17:34:40

> Is this normal for my Linux box to show high CPU usage while Plextor
> 12/10/32A burns to a CD-R/CD-RW? I use CD Bake Oven (KDE CD burner) and
> I can see it go high as 8.xx or so. Also, some programs stopped responding
> under this heavy load.

> In Windows 98 and XP, I do not notice this enormous slow speed in CPU
> usage. I am new with Linux and started to explore the CD burning programs
> in Linux. So far, it has been frustrating unlike Nero and Adaptec Easy
> CD Creator programs. :(

I had the same problem in Windows 2000. Found it my CD-R wasn't configured
to use UDMA. I had a CPU usage of 100% whenever I was burning. When I
switched it from PIO-mode to UDMA the load went down. So maybe try that?

Don't know how to do it in Linux though. Anyone?

Regards
- Jacob Atzen

Post by Florian Probs » Tue, 02 Apr 2002 20:48:58

> Is this normal for my Linux box to show high CPU usage while Plextor
> 12/10/32A burns to a CD-R/CD-RW?

Is this Plextor burner SCSI or IDE?

If its IDE try this:
Check (as root user) the output of "hdparm -d /dev/hdX". (Replace hdX by
your drives name, for instance "hdd" if its the slave on secondary ide bus).
The output tells you if DMA transfer mode is on for your drive.
If its not then try "hdparm -d 1 /dev/hdX". Then your CPU usage should be
lower.
This command must be entered again after each reboot! So its best to use it
in an boot script of your system.

CU, Florian

Post by Pau » Tue, 02 Apr 2002 22:05:18

> > Is this normal for my Linux box to show high CPU usage while Plextor
> > 12/10/32A burns to a CD-R/CD-RW? I use CD Bake Oven (KDE CD burner) and
> > I can see it go high as 8.xx or so. Also, some programs stopped responding
> > under this heavy load.

> > In Windows 98 and XP, I do not notice this enormous slow speed in CPU
> > usage. I am new with Linux and started to explore the CD burning programs
> > in Linux. So far, it has been frustrating unlike Nero and Adaptec Easy
> > CD Creator programs. :(
> <snip>

> Try xcdroast instead. It has always consumed minimal CPU resources for me.
> You might also do a 'ps aux' while the burner program is loading to see
> what is consuming the resources...

Also in KDE you can try Kreatecd, its a clean nice package.  Ditto on
the ps aux and see what is consuming so much. Or if you are in KDE
ctrl-esc brings up a nice gui proccess monitor like ps onyl in a nice
gui with kill buttons and all.

Paul

Post by ANT.. » Wed, 03 Apr 2002 03:43:31

>> Is this normal for my Linux box to show high CPU usage while Plextor
>> 12/10/32A burns to a CD-R/CD-RW? I use CD Bake Oven (KDE CD burner) and
>> I can see it go high as 8.xx or so. Also, some programs stopped responding
>> under this heavy load.

>> In Windows 98 and XP, I do not notice this enormous slow speed in CPU
>> usage. I am new with Linux and started to explore the CD burning programs
>> in Linux. So far, it has been frustrating unlike Nero and Adaptec Easy
>> CD Creator programs. :(
> <snip>
> Try xcdroast instead. It has always consumed minimal CPU resources for me.
> You might also do a 'ps aux' while the burner program is loading to see
> what is consuming the resources...

That's the problem. I am unable to do "w", "ps -aux",etc. It just sits until
the program is done. :( It basically hogs my box!

--

Post by ANT.. » Wed, 03 Apr 2002 03:44:28

>> Is this normal for my Linux box to show high CPU usage while Plextor
>> 12/10/32A burns to a CD-R/CD-RW? I use CD Bake Oven (KDE CD burner) and
>> I can see it go high as 8.xx or so. Also, some programs stopped responding
>> under this heavy load.

>> In Windows 98 and XP, I do not notice this enormous slow speed in CPU
>> usage. I am new with Linux and started to explore the CD burning programs
>> in Linux. So far, it has been frustrating unlike Nero and Adaptec Easy
>> CD Creator programs. :(
> I had the same problem in Windows 2000. Found it my CD-R wasn't configured
> to use UDMA. I had a CPU usage of 100% whenever I was burning. When I
> switched it from PIO-mode to UDMA the load went down. So maybe try that?

How do I tell Linux to UDMA or even check it? This is the same computer
configuration in Windows XP and Linux.
--

Post by ANT.. » Wed, 03 Apr 2002 03:46:34

>> Is this normal for my Linux box to show high CPU usage while Plextor
>> 12/10/32A burns to a CD-R/CD-RW?
> Is this Plextor burner SCSI or IDE?

IDE as noted above (A = Atapi?).

Quote:> If its IDE try this:
> Check (as root user) the output of "hdparm -d /dev/hdX". (Replace hdX by
> your drives name, for instance "hdd" if its the slave on secondary ide bus).
> The output tells you if DMA transfer mode is on for your drive.
> If its not then try "hdparm -d 1 /dev/hdX". Then your CPU usage should be
> lower.
> This command must be entered again after each reboot! So its best to use it
> in an boot script of your system.

I will check this out later on. Thanks.
--

Post by ANT.. » Wed, 03 Apr 2002 03:47:49

Quote:>> Is this normal for my Linux box to show high CPU usage while Plextor
>> 12/10/32A burns to a CD-R/CD-RW? I use CD Bake Oven (KDE CD burner) and
>> I can see it go high as 8.xx or so. Also, some programs stopped responding
>> under this heavy load.

>> In Windows 98 and XP, I do not notice this enormous slow speed in CPU
>> usage. I am new with Linux and started to explore the CD burning programs
>> in Linux. So far, it has been frustrating unlike Nero and Adaptec Easy
>> CD Creator programs. :(
> <snip>
> Try xcdroast instead. It has always consumed minimal CPU resources for me.
> You might also do a 'ps aux' while the burner program is loading to see
> what is consuming the resources...

I have tried xcdroast before, but I believe it didn't support multi-session.
I use sessions a lot since I rarely do full CD burns. I am type of person
who likes to do backups a lot.
--
If you are replying to Ant's news post by e-mail, please kindly remove
ANT in the return e-mail address or the ones listed below. Note: CaSe!
  /\___/\                                             Phillip Pi (Ant)

| |.   .| |
   \ _ /                     The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.home.dhs.org
    ( )                                               ICQ UIN: 2223658

When I burn to a CD-R/CD-RW, my CPU goes high in Linux

Post by Robert Hancoc » Wed, 03 Apr 2002 11:53:49

Try to enable the DMA mode on both the hard disk and CD burner. If DMA is
off it will be using PIO mode, which means higher CPU utilization.

--
Robert Hancock      Saskatoon, SK, Canada

> Is this normal for my Linux box to show high CPU usage while Plextor
> 12/10/32A burns to a CD-R/CD-RW? I use CD Bake Oven (KDE CD burner) and
> I can see it go high as 8.xx or so. Also, some programs stopped responding
> under this heavy load.

> In Windows 98 and XP, I do not notice this enormous slow speed in CPU
> usage. I am new with Linux and started to explore the CD burning programs
> in Linux. So far, it has been frustrating unlike Nero and Adaptec Easy
> CD Creator programs. :(

> Thank you in advance.
> --
> If you are replying to Ant's news post by e-mail, please kindly remove
> ANT in the return e-mail address or the ones listed below. Note: CaSe!
>   /\___/\                                             Phillip Pi (Ant)

> | |.   .| |
>    \ _ /                     The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.home.dhs.org
>     ( )                                               ICQ UIN: 2223658

When I burn to a CD-R/CD-RW, my CPU goes high in Linux

Post by N/A » Fri, 05 Apr 2002 13:59:49

On Monday 01 April 2002 03:34, `Jacob Atzen' of

>> Is this normal for my Linux box to show high CPU usage while
>> Plextor 12/10/32A burns to a CD-R/CD-RW? I use CD Bake Oven
>> (KDE CD burner) and I can see it go high as 8.xx or so. Also,
>> some programs stopped responding under this heavy load.

>> In Windows 98 and XP, I do not notice this enormous slow speed
>> in CPU usage. I am new with Linux and started to explore the
>> CD burning programs in Linux. So far, it has been frustrating
>> unlike Nero and Adaptec Easy CD Creator programs. :(

> I had the same problem in Windows 2000. Found it my CD-R wasn't
> configured to use UDMA. I had a CPU usage of 100% whenever I
> was burning. When I switched it from PIO-mode to UDMA the load
> went down. So maybe try that?

I have one W2K Adv Svr running on an FIC PA-2013 Mobo with an
AMD K6-2 400MHz.  If I tried to set using DMA on the BIOS, the
computer will boot to crawl and it would take about 15 minutes
to login.  When I login, the W2K OS says that it can not locate
the hard drive and CDRW drive.  If I disable the DMA on BIOS,
the system boots just fine, but the hard drive activities drive
my computer to a crawl, i.e copy a VCD image file from one
partition to the other and/or from one drive to the other.  I am
hoping anyone here will be able to help me out in this matter.

Quote:> Don't know how to do it in Linux though. Anyone?

Post by Eric P. McC » Fri, 05 Apr 2002 14:20:32

> I have one W2K Adv Svr running on an FIC PA-2013 Mobo with an
> AMD K6-2 400MHz.  If I tried to set using DMA on the BIOS, the
> computer will boot to crawl and it would take about 15 minutes
> to login.  When I login, the W2K OS says that it can not locate
> the hard drive and CDRW drive.  If I disable the DMA on BIOS,
> the system boots just fine, but the hard drive activities drive
> my computer to a crawl, i.e copy a VCD image file from one
> partition to the other and/or from one drive to the other.  I am
> hoping anyone here will be able to help me out in this matter.

As your question has _nothing whatsoever_ to do with Linux, I suggest
you ask in another newsgroup.  The only advice you can expect to get
here will be from people who assume you meant "Linux" instead of "W2K
Adv Svr."

But seriously, were you expecting great performance from W2KAS on such a
pathetically slow processor?  W2KS is a dog even on a 2xP3/450 with
1GB RAM and all SCSI disks, at least compared to W2KP.

--

"Last I checked, it wasn't the power cord for the Clue Generator that
was sticking up your ass." - John Novak, rasfwrj

Post by John Thompso » Sat, 06 Apr 2002 07:31:27

> I have tried xcdroast before, but I believe it didn't support multi-session.
> I use sessions a lot since I rarely do full CD burns. I am type of person
> who likes to do backups a lot.

Xcdroast is just a GUI front-end for cdrecord/mkisofs and does support
multi-session burns, at least the version I have (v0.98alpha9) does.

--

Post by Skylar Thompso » Sat, 06 Apr 2002 07:44:13

> Check (as root user) the output of "hdparm -d /dev/hdX". (Replace hdX by
> your drives name, for instance "hdd" if its the slave on secondary ide bus).
> The output tells you if DMA transfer mode is on for your drive.
> If its not then try "hdparm -d 1 /dev/hdX". Then your CPU usage should be
> lower.
> This command must be entered again after each reboot! So its best to use it
> in an boot script of your system.

Not necessarily. One can use the /etc/sysconfig/harddisks configuration
file for this purpose.

--

Post by Skylar Thompso » Sat, 06 Apr 2002 07:46:38

> How do I tell Linux to UDMA or even check it? This is the same computer
> configuration in Windows XP and Linux.

# hdparm -iv /dev/<device>

This will give you device information.

$ man hdparm

Look at the -d and -X options, in particular the -X option.

# hdparm -d 1 -X## /dev/<device>

-d is fairly safe, but -X isn't. Make sure you get the number correct!