How to search for a lost ext2 filesystem?

How to search for a lost ext2 filesystem?

Post by FLORIAN SCHIE » Wed, 16 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Hi there!

I've got a big problem and need some HELP!

I have a hdd running dos and linux. linux is in a logical partition on
hda. booting is via loadlin.
I used NovellDos's Fdisk to initialize a second hdd for dos and after
that my linux-partitions were removed from the partition tables.
I tried to fix it with a dos diskeditor by setting the tables manually,
but i'm not sure which cylinder is correct.

So what i'm asking is: does anyone know how to find a ext2 partition by
which entries whatever, or where to get software to find it or is there
a diskeditor existing (and where) to edit that on foot.
A search program sould work too, as all data and the superblock should
be ok up to now.

I have a backup-linux disk running now to access the other drives, so a
in-linux slolution would be best.

thanx in advance...

-Beo

1. Lost superblock on ext2-filesystem

During re-partitioning of my Linux system i lost the superblock of a
extended 2 filesystem. I managed temporarily to mount the filesystem
again, but now it is impossible:
Bad magic number in super-block while trying to open /dev/sda7
I'm using e2fs version 0.5 and kernel 1.0.9.

Is there a way to recreate the superblock? e2fsck has an option to use
an alternative superblock, but where i can get one?

Gero

2. HELP: AIX System Disk Crash

3. How come I can't mount an ext2 filesystem as ext2?

4. Windows -> Linux IP MASQ odd problem.

5. Bill Gates in Moscow, software piracy; the ext2 search-and-destroy story continues...

6. help

7. The beginning of ext2 partition is lost... help!

8. Need help with cdrecord and PCMCIA

9. ext2: lost parent directory

10. How to find lost ext2 partitions

11. fat32 + ext2 partitions lost. How to recover?

12. Lost part of ext2 partitionsuddenly

13. How to repartition ext2 without lost data...