Hi quality camera for Linux

Post by Jare » Mon, 12 Sep 2005 04:56:35

Hello!

        Does anyone know high resolution camera, compatible with linux ? I'
looking for something with at least 3M pixel, able also to get motion
picture.

regards
Jarek.

Hi quality camera for Linux

Post by ray » Mon, 12 Sep 2005 08:15:50

> Hello!

>    Does anyone know high resolution camera, compatible with linux ? I'
> looking for something with at least 3M pixel, able also to get motion
> picture.

> regards
> Jarek.

Best, fastest, easiest way is to use a USB card reader. Crucial has
inexpensive ones. With that caveat, and camera which uses removable flash
media is compatible with Linux.

Hi quality camera for Linux

Post by General Schvantzkop » Mon, 12 Sep 2005 10:58:43

>> Hello!

>>        Does anyone know high resolution camera, compatible with linux ? I'
>> looking for something with at least 3M pixel, able also to get motion
>> picture.

>> regards
>> Jarek.

> Best, fastest, easiest way is to use a USB card reader. Crucial has
> inexpensive ones. With that caveat, and camera which uses removable flash
> media is compatible with Linux.

All of the flash cards are compatible with Linux, I've use both SD cards,
which is the standard media for the shirt pocket sized cameras, and
Compact Flash which is what's used on the Digital SLRs. As someone already
pointed out the list of cameras supported directly by gphoto2 is huge.
There are a couple of standard protocols for talking to cameras and Linux
supports them. I've had no trouble mounting my Canon SD500 which is a tiny
8megapixel camera. However I much prefer to pop the SD card into a
reader. On FC3 Flash cards automount and you can treat them just like a
disk. What's even cooler is that the system recognizes that there are
pictures on the card and a dialog pops up when you plug in a media card
that asks you if you want the pictures copied to you home directory, if
you say yes it creates a directory and automatically copies the contents
of the card.

The bottom line is that you can buy any camera that you want, just about
any camera will be mountable using gphoto2. But even if there is no
support for the camera you can always mount the flash card directly, which
is what I prefer to do anyway.

As for camera recommendations, for tiny cameras I have no hesitation about
the Canon SD500. It's the best 8Mpixel all in one out there, costs $500,
used SD cards. There are lower pixel members of the family which are
cheaper. My girlfriend just got a Canon Rebel XT SLR (also 8M pixel) and a
couple of Canon image stabilized lenses. That's a lot more money but it's
a much more capable camera system. I'm pretty sure the interface is
identical and I had zero trouble mounting it's Compact Flash card.

Hi quality camera for Linux

Post by Jare » Mon, 12 Sep 2005 19:24:42

Hello!

> Best, fastest, easiest way is to use a USB card reader. Crucial has
> inexpensive ones. With that caveat, and camera which uses removable flash
> media is compatible with Linux.

OK. This is not exactly what I'm looking for. I need camara, which can
be controlled from Linux: make pictures, record movies, change zoom etc,.
Something like cameras for CCTV but with higher resolution. I'm looking
for something profesional, not cheap.

best regards
Jarek.

Hi quality camera for Linux

Post by Henrik Carlqvis » Tue, 13 Sep 2005 03:26:13

> I need camara, which can be controlled from Linux: make pictures, record
> movies, change zoom etc,. Something like cameras for CCTV but with
> higher resolution. I'm looking for something profesional, not cheap.

Did you check the coriander list of compatible firewire cameras?

http://damien.douxchamps.net/ieee1394/cameras/index.php

If you don't like firewire there is also a more expensive interface called
cameralink. However, it seems hard to find a good cameralink card with
opensource drivers.

regards Henrik
hc7(at)uthyres.com Examples of addresses which go to spammers:

1. Hi Quality SoundCard with good Linux Support?

Hi.

I am soon buying a complete new computer system.
It will be a Athlon with about 800MHZ and nice things like a 4.9ms SCSI disk
and so on.
I would like to get a really good soundcard which will be enough for some
years for me.
I am doing some composition and I am interested in Synthesis as well as
3d sound and surround sound.
Ill buy some surround speakers too.
Can anyone suggest a soundcard with at least:
Some digital In/Outs,
Surround,
48khz
full-duplex (perhaps with support for different sampling rates).
And probably a good surround speaker system ??

It should be supported by OSS/Free (at least to get some sound out of it),
and ALSA with the most features possible.

--
CYa,

Homepage(s): http://delysid.org | http://piss.at/

How do I type "for i in *.dvi do xdvi i done" in a GUI?
(Discussion in comp.os.linux.misc on the intuitiveness of interfaces.)

2. SCSI tape drive

3. MBROLA Hi-Quality Free Speech Synthesis

4. Need help in SAMBA

5. RadioShack Flatfoto or Ultra-Pocket Digital Camera or Creative CardCam or Logitech Pocket Digital Camera

6. Where is Cygnus?

7. Hi,How I can find a hex edit in the Linux environment?

8. FW1-NG and SUN GigaSwift

9. Hi, need to find a FTP site to download IE4.0 for linux

10. HI Linux and FAT 32 bits problem !!!

11. Linux code quality - How to evaluate

12. Hi latency on linux router

13. Hi how can I make a full baukup to my linux server ?