Promise Ultra33 ATA/DMA under Linux?

Post by Chris Bosd » Wed, 01 Oct 1997 04:00:00

        I have been unable to get my Promise Ultra33 Ultra ATA hard disk
controller to function under Linux.  There is no official driver for this
card for use under Linux.

        Has anyone gotten it to work?  I figure there has got to be some
sort of trick to get it to function, even if its just in Fast ATA mode.
I'll try anything short of plugging it into my motherboards Fast ATA IDE
controller.  I would be running Windows95 on the same computer and do not
want the loss of speed in both OS's.

Thank you in advance,

Chris.

Post by Matt Kirsc » Fri, 03 Oct 1997 04:00:00

 >         I have been unable to get my Promise Ultra33 Ultra ATA hard
disk
 > controller to function under Linux.  There is no official driver for
this
 > card for use under Linux.

 >         Has anyone gotten it to work?  I figure there has got to be
some
 > sort of trick to get it to function, even if its just in Fast ATA
mode.
 > I'll try anything short of plugging it into my motherboards Fast ATA
IDE
 > controller.  I would be running Windows95 on the same computer and do
not
 > want the loss of speed in both OS's.

You missed the threads with the solution. Check www.dejanews.com.
Included in those threads is a link to a kernel patch and lots of
pointers.

Basically, the problem you're having with Linux is that you're trying to
mount a nonexistent hard drive. Linux sees the Promise card as the
TERTIARY IDE port, so the root disk will either be /dev/hde or /dev/hdf.
You need to change /etc/fstab to reference your Linux drive in its
correct location. In addition, you need to tell Linux where this
tertiary port is because it doesn't probe for it automatically. The
kernel parameter is "ide2=0x6000" or something like that (the old
threads mention this).