No IRQ-shareing???

Post by Nabil Edelb » Tue, 01 Dec 1998 04:00:00

I have an Intel Premiere/PCI Pentium Mtherboad with an AMIBIOS
1.00.13.AF2 that does not yet alow me to explivitliy assign IRQs to
PCI-slots. And so I have the following problem with a SCSI- and
Ethernet-board that are assignet to the same IRQ (11) and do not share.
Is there a trick to get this configuration to work?

Thanks

Bootmessages:

Quote:> scsi-ncr53c7,8xx : at PCI bus 0, device 6,  function 0
> scsi-ncr53c7,8xx : NCR53c810 at memory 0xffbffc00, io 0xfc00, irq 11
> scsi0 : burst length 8
> scsi0 : reset ccf to 3 from 0
> scsi0 : NCR code relocated to 0x90600 (virt 0x00090600)
> scsi0 : test 1 started
> scsi0 : NCR53c{7,8}xx (rel 17)
> scsi : 1 host.
> scsi0 : target 1 accepting asynchronous SCSI
> scsi0 : setting target 1 to asynchronous SCSI
> Setting up network device eth0.
> ne2k-pci.c:v0.99L 2/7/98 D. Becker/P. Gortmaker

http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/ne2k-pci.html

Quote:> ne2k-pci.c: PCI NE2000 clone 'RealTek RTL-8029' at I/O 0xfce0, IRQ 11.
> eth0: PCI NE2000 found at 0xfce0, IRQ 11, 00:40:05:32:74:95.
> SIOCSIFFLAGS: Try again

/proc/interputs
Quote:>  0:      12281   timer
>  1:         88   keyboard
>  2:          0   cascade
>  4:         17 + serial
>  8:          2 + rtc
> 11:       2646 + 53c7,8xx
> 13:          1   math error
> 14:          9 + ide0

No IRQ-shareing???

Post by Joseph F. Lingevitc » Wed, 02 Dec 1998 04:00:00

I had a similar IRQ conflict between my video card and newly installed scsi
card which were
both being assigned irq=11 by the bios. My problem was resolved by moving
my scsi card
into a different pci slot. After doing that ... my scsi card was assigned
irq #9  --which did not
conflict with anything -- and life was good. I'd try moving my scsi card to
another slot and
trying again. Hope this helps.

        Joe Lingevitch

> I have an Intel Premiere/PCI Pentium Mtherboad with an AMIBIOS
> 1.00.13.AF2 that does not yet alow me to explivitliy assign IRQs to
> PCI-slots. And so I have the following problem with a SCSI- and
> Ethernet-board that are assignet to the same IRQ (11) and do not share.
> Is there a trick to get this configuration to work?

> Thanks

> Bootmessages:

> > scsi-ncr53c7,8xx : at PCI bus 0, device 6,  function 0
> > scsi-ncr53c7,8xx : NCR53c810 at memory 0xffbffc00, io 0xfc00, irq 11
> > scsi0 : burst length 8
> > scsi0 : reset ccf to 3 from 0
> > scsi0 : NCR code relocated to 0x90600 (virt 0x00090600)
> > scsi0 : test 1 started
> > scsi0 : NCR53c{7,8}xx (rel 17)
> > scsi : 1 host.
> > scsi0 : target 1 accepting asynchronous SCSI
> > scsi0 : setting target 1 to asynchronous SCSI
> > Setting up network device eth0.
> > ne2k-pci.c:v0.99L 2/7/98 D. Becker/P. Gortmaker
> http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/ne2k-pci.html
> > ne2k-pci.c: PCI NE2000 clone 'RealTek RTL-8029' at I/O 0xfce0, IRQ 11.

> > eth0: PCI NE2000 found at 0xfce0, IRQ 11, 00:40:05:32:74:95.
> > SIOCSIFFLAGS: Try again

> /proc/interputs

> >  0:      12281   timer
> >  1:         88   keyboard
> >  2:          0   cascade
> >  4:         17 + serial
> >  8:          2 + rtc
> > 11:       2646 + 53c7,8xx
> > 13:          1   math error
> > 14:          9 + ide0

No IRQ-shareing???

Post by Michael Meissne » Thu, 03 Dec 1998 04:00:00

> I have an Intel Premiere/PCI Pentium Mtherboad with an AMIBIOS
> 1.00.13.AF2 that does not yet alow me to explivitliy assign IRQs to
> PCI-slots. And so I have the following problem with a SCSI- and
> Ethernet-board that are assignet to the same IRQ (11) and do not share.
> Is there a trick to get this configuration to work?

> Thanks

> Bootmessages:

> > scsi-ncr53c7,8xx : at PCI bus 0, device 6,  function 0
> > scsi-ncr53c7,8xx : NCR53c810 at memory 0xffbffc00, io 0xfc00, irq 11

This might be your problem.  You might want to try out the NCR53C8XX driver
instead of the NCR53C7XX,8XX driver (the NCR53C8XX driver occurs after the
other driver in the configuration questions).  The 7xx,8xx driver does not seem
to have been modified in some time (and in fact stopped working for me ~ 2
years ago while I was still using an honest to good NCR53C810 on a 90 Mhz
Pentium), while the 8xx driver is actively supported.  On my home machine, I
have a TekRam 390F or 390U sharing an IRQ with a Netgear 310TX ethernet
controller (I have two scsi controllers, I don't remember which one is on the
irq with the tulip card).  Note, I run the latest kernels (2.1.130 in this
case) on the machine, and the 2.1.xxx kernels generally share IRQs better.

Also, note that my home net doesn't get much traffic, however my work system
does get a lot of ethernet traffic, and on this system I have an Adaptec 2940UW
scsi controller sharing an IRQ with a Netgear 310TX ethernet controller running
in SMP mode (again with 2.1.130 kernel).

--
Michael Meissner, Cygnus Solutions (Massachusetts office)
4th floor, 955 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA

1. Multiple parallel ports/IRQ sharing/non-use of IRQ by parallel ports?

Hello,
        I currently have two parallel ports in my PC (one at address 0x3bc and
one at 0x378) and was wondering if it is possible to use them simultaneously
_without_ using more than one interrupt.  I've read that in DOS, most printing
is not interrupt-driven, but instead is accomplished by polling.  Having read
the Printing-HOWTO, I have learned that it is possible (under Linux) to toggle
between an interrupt driver and a polling driver for each parallel port
(/dev/lp0, /dev/lp1) using a utility called "tunelp".  I was wondering if any
of the following configurations are possible for simultaneous use of the two
parallel ports:

1) Have both ports share IRQ7.

2) Have both ports run with the polling driver (using no interrupts).

3) Have one port using IRQ7 and the other port running with the polling driver.

I know that I can set the two parallel ports up using separate interrupts, but
the card with the second parallel port only allows use of IRQ7 or IRQ5 (it's
an 8-bit I/O card), and IRQ7 is already used by my first parallel port (it's
integrated onto the motherboard and its IRQ is not changeable) and IRQ5 is
being used by an old MIDI interface card (whose IRQ is also not changeable).
Any comments/suggestions are greatly appreciated!

-Alvin

2. IP aliasing?

3. SHARED iRQ AND PRIVATE IRQ

4. divide:0000

5. IRQ Sharing & PnP

6. QLogic SCSI controller?

7. apic and irq sharing

8. Need encrypted communications communications software

9. Sharing irq possible under Linux ?

10. sharing IRQ for serial port

11. shared IRQ 11 between NIC & VGA prblm?

12. IRQ sharing?

13. Disable PCI IRQ Sharing???