Initrd doesn't work

Post by dwight_d.. » Thu, 10 Feb 2000 04:00:00

I'm trying to create an initrd boot image and running into a wierd
problem.

I'm using these options in the syslinux.cfg
append=load_ramdisk=2 initrd=rootfs.gz ramdisk_size=32767 root=/dev/ram

I also have a two line /linuxrc that looks like this:
#!/boot/ash
echo "Test linuxrc"

When I boot the image I get a kernel message about no init being found
and the "Test linuxrc" message never gets displayed.  I.E. /linuxrc
doesn't seem to get executed and yes the file is mode 777 and /boot/ash
exists and is linked statically.

If I add init=/linuxrc to my syslinux.cfg it runs the /linuxrc script
fine.  The question is why doesn't it run it like it's supposed to.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Initrd doesn't work

Post by ta.. » Mon, 28 Feb 2000 04:00:00

I noticed there is a bug in the ramdisk module.  If you specify
a ramdisk size, then the initrd functionality is disabled and the
boot sequence proceeds as if booting from disk.

Initrd is a hack anyway.  Better just to learn how to use inittab.