'hdc: lost interrupt' errors when ripping audio cds

'hdc: lost interrupt' errors when ripping audio cds

Post by Ed Jone » Sun, 15 Dec 2002 00:46:01

I've got a Shuttle SV25 barebones with a VIA Ezra C3 933Mhz CPU and a Samsung
SC-152L cdrom (according to /proc/ide/ide1/hdc/model) running Mandrake 8.1.

I'm getting multiple 'hdc: lost interrupt' messages in /var/log/syslog when
attempting to rip audio cds using cdparanoia or cdda2wav. The messages coincide
with pauses in the ripping process. Ripping can sometimes be 'kick-started' by
opening and closing the cdrom drawer or it may restart spontaneously after a
pause of varying length. This means ripping a cd usually takes several hours and
occasionally is impossible to get completed...

During the pauses cdparanoia doesn't report any errors - the status bar simply
stops advancing.

All other cdrom operations appear unaffected - such as copying data cds to the
hard drive or playing audio cds directly.

I've tried using another cdrom drive, changing the ide cable and putting the
cd-rom drive as a slave on ide0, all with no effect.

A bit of googling gets a few hits concerning hdc:lost interrupts and ripping,
but I'm stuck as to how to investigate this problem further. The VIA chipset,
however, does seem to be a bit of a common theme.

# cat /proc/interrupts
           CPU0
  0:    7908107          XT-PIC  timer
  1:          2          XT-PIC  keyboard
  2:          0          XT-PIC  cascade
  8:          1          XT-PIC  rtc
 11:    8503720          XT-PIC  usb-uhci, usb-uhci, eth0
 12:    2744360          XT-PIC  via82cxxx
 14:     234755          XT-PIC  ide0
 15:    3554462          XT-PIC  ide1
NMI:          0
ERR:          0

# lspcidrake
unknown         : VIA Technologies|VT8605 [ProSavage PM133]
unknown         : VIA Technologies|VT8605 [PM133 AGP]
unknown         : VIA Technologies|VT82C686 [Apollo Super]
unknown         : VIA Technologies|VT82C586 IDE [Apollo]
usb-uhci        : VIA Technologies|VT82C586B USB
usb-uhci        : VIA Technologies|VT82C586B USB
unknown         : VIA Technologies|VT82C686 [Apollo Super ACPI]
via82cxxx_audio : VIA Technologies|VT82C686 [Apollo Super AC97/Audio]
unknown         : VIA Technologies|OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller
8139too         : Realtek|RTL-8139
unknown         : unknown (5333/8d01/ffff/ffff)
unknown         : Virtual|Hub []
unknown         : Virtual|Hub []
unknown         : Unknown|Camera []

http://www.shuttle.com/new/product/barebone/specs_b.asp?B_id=6

Any ideas?

--
Ed Jones

Post by Teet T?rn » Wed, 01 Jan 2003 18:14:30

> I've got a Shuttle SV25 barebones with a VIA Ezra C3 933Mhz CPU and a
> Samsung SC-152L cdrom (according to /proc/ide/ide1/hdc/model) running
> Mandrake 8.1.

> I'm getting multiple 'hdc: lost interrupt' messages in /var/log/syslog
> when attempting to rip audio cds using cdparanoia or cdda2wav. The
> messages coincide with pauses in the ripping process. Ripping can
> sometimes be 'kick-started' by opening and closing the cdrom drawer or it
> may restart spontaneously after a pause of varying length. This means
> ripping a cd usually takes several hours and occasionally is impossible to
> get completed...

> During the pauses cdparanoia doesn't report any errors - the status bar
> simply stops advancing.

> All other cdrom operations appear unaffected - such as copying data cds to
> the hard drive or playing audio cds directly.

> I've tried using another cdrom drive, changing the ide cable and putting
> the cd-rom drive as a slave on ide0, all with no effect.

> A bit of googling gets a few hits concerning hdc:lost interrupts and
> ripping, but I'm stuck as to how to investigate this problem further. The
> VIA chipset, however, does seem to be a bit of a common theme.

#snip#

Sorry, that I can't be of any help. I just wanted to report a similar
error. When trying to rip CD's, I get the same "lost interrupt" errors.
I tried changing cables, trying with 2 CDROMs(NEC NR7900A CDRW-drive and
some plain LG 52x CDROM: NEC was using ide-scsi and LG plain ide-cdrom),
APIC on and off. I'm using Debian Woody - also tried at least 3
different kernels : 2.4.16 from package, 2.4.18-bf.2.4, self-compiled
2.4.19 . Same symptoms every time - resulting cdda.wav is 44 bytes (wav
header being 44B), nothing gets ripped for hours.
Technical info:
kernels config:  http://www.hot.ee/devlin/linux/kernel_config.txt
Motherboard: Chaintech 6VIA5T
        (http://www.chaintech.com.tw/Products/socket370/6via5t.htm)
Chipset: Via Apollo Pro 133T, southbridge is Via's VT82C686B
Ripping works just fine in Win2K - with both CDROM's

I would appreciate any and all help with this (Hey, if any of you
helpful folks find yourself in Estonia, I'll buy you a mug of beer :)

Teet T?rno
--
NT is a one-legged cow, but even a one legged cow is fast when it's
got 160+ rockets strapped to it.  -- Nick Manka

1. 'hdc: lost interrupt' errors when ripping audio cds

[...]

Some info:

[...]

2. EIDE & IBM PENTIUM & SCO

3. hdc: lost interrupt (only when ripping audio cd)

4. Removing Old Kernel Updates

5. lost interupt errors when ripping CD's on system with Via KM266 based mobo

6. Yet another newbie question--never seen it in FAQs

7. URGENT: lost 'rsh', 'smb', and 'cd ~'

8. BUSLOGIC BT542B rev H

9. ripping audio CD's

10. Ripping audio CD's with Linux???

11. Messed up and MAKEDEV -d 'd hdc and MAKEDEV hdc won't recreate

12. "hdc: lost interrupt" errors

13. HELP:"Hdc: Lost Interrupt" error.