Mounting USB drive in FC3

Post by n.. » Sat, 01 Jan 2005 01:06:40

I'm using Fedora Core 3 and can't get it to mount a USB flash drive.

Based on what I've found on nesgroups, here is what I've done and the
results:

(nothing found)

usb_storage            61321  0
scsi_mod              118417  3 usb_storage,libata,sd_mod

(no reply)

(no reply)

(the only item in there beginning with "s" is "sdb"

mount: special device /dev/sda2 does not exist

mount: special device /dev/sda does not exist

mount: special device /dev/sda1 does not exist

mount: special device /dev/sda3 does not exist

mount: special device /dev/sda4 does not exist

mount: special device /dev/sda5 does not exist

mount: special device /dev/sda6 does not exist

-bash: devlabel: command not found

And that's as far as I've gotten in what I've found on the 'net to help
with some ideas.

I have hope as usb_storage is part of lsmod, but I'm at a loss of what
to do now.
Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Liam

Mounting USB drive in FC3

Post by Craig Bergre » Sat, 01 Jan 2005 05:13:57

> I'm using Fedora Core 3 and can't get it to mount a USB flash drive.

> Based on what I've found on nesgroups, here is what I've done and the
> results:

Why are you looking for a CD-ROM device?

Quote:> (the only item in there beginning with "s" is "sdb"

Could your USB storage be /dev/sdb?

Why are you trying to mount devices that don't exist?  As you already
pointed out, the only sd* device you have is /dev/sdb.  Why do you think
/dev/sdb isn't the USB storage?

CB

Mounting USB drive in FC3

Post by n.. » Sat, 01 Jan 2005 06:21:24

> > I'm using Fedora Core 3 and can't get it to mount a USB flash
drive.

> > Based on what I've found on nesgroups, here is what I've done and
the
> > results:

11

> Why are you looking for a CD-ROM device?

I don't understand. CDROM device?
When searching for help on the newsgroup, I came across a post where
someone suggested they cat /proc/bus/usb/devices | grep 1111 and if
anything came back, to forget trying to get a USB flash drive to work.
I don't know why.

Quote:

> > (the only item in there beginning with "s" is "sdb"

> Could your USB storage be /dev/sdb?

No, because that seems to be the USB floppy drive (god I hate PC's
without IDE floppy drives!)
At least I believe it is. Because when I:
mount /dev/sdb /mnt/thumb
the floppy drive runs. I can "touch" a file onto it, but I can't seem
to "ls" or edit it. I figure that's a formatting problem and when I
need to use floppies I'll work on figuring it out. =)

> Why are you trying to mount devices that don't exist?  As you already
> pointed out, the only sd* device you have is /dev/sdb.  Why do you
think
> /dev/sdb isn't the USB storage?

That whole trying to mount non-existant devices is just frustration.
And lack of knowing anything else to do.

Mounting USB drive in FC3

Post by Craig Bergre » Sat, 01 Jan 2005 07:19:22

>> > I'm using Fedora Core 3 and can't get it to mount a USB flash
> drive.

>> > Based on what I've found on nesgroups, here is what I've done and
> the
>> > results:

> 11

>> Why are you looking for a CD-ROM device?

> I don't understand. CDROM device?

I'm sorry I thought I saw /proc/devices.  1111 in
/proc/bus/usb/devices is fatal?  I don't know why either.

$ lsusb

  lists USB devices. (-v and -vv show more and most).

Quote:

>> > (the only item in there beginning with "s" is "sdb"

>> Could your USB storage be /dev/sdb?

> No, because that seems to be the USB floppy drive (god I hate PC's
> without IDE floppy drives!)

OK.  When you remove/insert the USB flash, what kind of messages do you
see in /var/log/messages?  The hotplug system ought to be removing and
installing the correct drivers when you do this.  If something is wrong,
you should see an error message there, ditto if it's working correctly.

Quote:

>> Why are you trying to mount devices that don't exist?  As you already
>> pointed out, the only sd* device you have is /dev/sdb.

> That whole trying to mount non-existant devices is just frustration. And
> lack of knowing anything else to do.

Frustration is a powerful motivator, isn't it?

CB

Mounting USB drive in FC3

Post by n.. » Sat, 01 Jan 2005 08:01:34

Skip to the very end to avoid wasting time.
I'm leaving the rest of what I typed in case some of it might be useful
to anyone else in related matters.

> $ lsusb

>   lists USB devices. (-v and -vv show more and most).

Cool!

Bus 005 Device 007: ID 0644:0000 TEAC Corp. Floppy
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

No flash drive. =/

Quote:

> OK.  When you remove/insert the USB flash, what kind of messages do
you
> see in /var/log/messages?  The hotplug system ought to be removing
and
> installing the correct drivers when you do this.  If something is
wrong,
> you should see an error message there, ditto if it's working
correctly.

Doing a
cat /var/log/messages | grep usb
here's what I get.
All the connect and disconnect lines are for the floppy as far as I can
tell, as when I insert and remove the thumb drive, there are no new
additions to the log.
I know the drive itself works because I've used it on a Windows box.
So, since the machine is detecting the USB presence of the floppy
drive, the problem isn't with Linux or its services, and it's likely
not a driver issue as there would still be some kind of error in the
log, but, somehow maybe with the USB card/controller on this machine
and this particular thumb drive?

Dec 30 09:19:45 localhost kernel: usb 1-7: new high speed USB device
using address 8
Dec 30 09:19:46 localhost scsi.agent[32369]: disk at
/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.7/usb1/1-7/1-7:1.0/host7/7:0:0:0
Dec 30 09:19:48 localhost kernel: usb 1-7: USB disconnect, address 8
Dec 30 09:20:11 localhost kernel: usb 1-8: new high speed USB device
using address 9
Dec 30 09:20:11 localhost scsi.agent[32611]: disk at
/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.7/usb1/1-8/1-8:1.0/host8/8:0:0:0
Dec 30 09:20:12 localhost kernel: usb 1-8: USB disconnect, address 9
Dec 30 09:21:03 localhost kernel: usb 1-7: new high speed USB device
using address 10
Dec 30 09:21:06 localhost kernel: usb 1-7: USB disconnect, address 10
Dec 30 09:48:00 localhost kernel: usb 5-1: new full speed USB device
using address 6
Dec 30 16:44:30 localhost kernel: usb 5-1: USB disconnect, address 6
Dec 30 16:46:05 localhost kernel: usb 5-1: new full speed USB device
using address 7

After thinking about the possibility it's the USB controller itself
somehow, instead of using the USB ports in the front I tried the ones
in the back. And lo and behold, it works.
/dev/sdd1 magically appears and mounts and I can see the crazy ole
files on it.

Weird, because I was using the same port in front that I use the floppy
on, which works fine.
I think the thumb drive is a millimeter shorter than the floppy drive
USB plug, and is somehow preventing it from making a full connection in
front.

So, end of story, all is well! I'll just need to go buy a high-speed
USB extension cord so I don't have to crawl under my desk every time I
want to use the flash drive. ;)

But I learned some cools tools, like lsusb and such.
Thanks for the help and your time!!
Liam