how fast is my modem going right now?

Post by Phli » Tue, 01 Dec 1998 04:00:00

newsgroupies

So I add 'speed 57600' to my 'diald.conf' to see what happens.
Historically, Window's fully integrated user interface has told me in
little tooltips that the modem was currently going at 38,400, so that's
what I started my Linux at, but now I want to see if my ISP's new 57k
modem pool works.

'diald' warms up the link; 'pppd' agrees with everything, and I'm
online. But how do I query the system to see how fast the modem is right
now? (Besides tacky brute force - pumping 57,600 bits through it and
timing them?)

  --  Phlip at politizen dot com                  (address munged)

Post by Phli » Wed, 02 Dec 1998 04:00:00

>So I add 'speed 57600' to my 'diald.conf' to see what happens.
>Historically, Window's fully integrated user interface has told me in
>little tooltips that the modem was currently going at 38,400, so that's
>what I started my Linux at, but now I want to see if my ISP's new 57k
>modem pool works.

>'diald' warms up the link; 'pppd' agrees with everything, and I'm
>online. But how do I query the system to see how fast the modem is
right
>now? (Besides tacky brute force - pumping 57,600 bits through it and
>timing them?)

Someone who wishes to remain anonymous, to whom we will refer as "Joe
Smulowicz", has pointed out that if you pass the Verbose option -v to
'chat' it will emit to the system log what the modem is saying as 'chat'
replies to those items it recognizes. Then your modem might write a tiny
snip of text reporting what rate and encoding it negotiated, such as
"31200\ARQ".

Of course I also could have sampled the sounds of the various baud rate
attempts leading up to the click and then manually decoded them...

Quote:>  --  Phlip at politizen dot com                  (address munged)
>======= http://users.deltanet.com/~tegan/home.html =======

  --  Those who do not understand the CUA are
        condemned to reinvent it, poorly  --

Post by A E Lawrenc » Thu, 03 Dec 1998 04:00:00

> >So I add 'speed 57600' to my 'diald.conf' to see what happens.
> >Historically, Window's fully integrated user interface has told me in
> >little tooltips that the modem was currently going at 38,400, so that's
> >what I started my Linux at, but now I want to see if my ISP's new 57k
> >modem pool works.

> >'diald' warms up the link; 'pppd' agrees with everything, and I'm
> >online. But how do I query the system to see how fast the modem is
> right
> >now? (Besides tacky brute force - pumping 57,600 bits through it and
> >timing them?)

> Someone who wishes to remain anonymous, to whom we will refer as "Joe
> Smulowicz", has pointed out that if you pass the Verbose option -v to
> 'chat' it will emit to the system log what the modem is saying as 'chat'
> replies to those items it recognizes. Then your modem might write a tiny
> snip of text reporting what rate and encoding it negotiated, such as
> "31200\ARQ".

But it may retrain to other speeds as the line quality changes...  Why
not just run something like "pppstats -w 30" in a spare Xwindow?

ael
--
Dr A E Lawrence (from home)

Post by Shane & or Joanne Cunar » Tue, 08 Dec 1998 04:00:00

> >So I add 'speed 57600' to my 'diald.conf' to see what happens.
> >Historically, Window's fully integrated user interface has told me in
> >little tooltips that the modem was currently going at 38,400, so that's
> >what I started my Linux at, but now I want to see if my ISP's new 57k
> >modem pool works.

> >'diald' warms up the link; 'pppd' agrees with everything, and I'm
> >online. But how do I query the system to see how fast the modem is
> right
> >now? (Besides tacky brute force - pumping 57,600 bits through it and
> >timing them?)

> Someone who wishes to remain anonymous, to whom we will refer as "Joe
> Smulowicz", has pointed out that if you pass the Verbose option -v to
> 'chat' it will emit to the system log what the modem is saying as 'chat'
> replies to those items it recognizes. Then your modem might write a tiny
> snip of text reporting what rate and encoding it negotiated, such as
> "31200\ARQ".

> Of course I also could have sampled the sounds of the various baud rate
> attempts leading up to the click and then manually decoded them...

Checking the log files usually will tell you the info quite well I would
have said the same thing. Would you rather a 2Meg progy to do it for you
;-).

1. how fast is my modem going right now?

newsgroupies

So I add 'speed 57600' to my 'diald.conf' to see what happens.
Historically, Window's fully integrated user interface has told me in
little tooltips that the modem was currently going at 38,400, so that's
what I started my Linux at, but now I want to see if my ISP's new 57k
modem pool works.

'diald' warms up the link; 'pppd' agrees with everything, and I'm
online. But how do I query the system to see how fast the modem is right
now? (Besides tacky brute force - pumping 57,600 bits through it and
timing them?)

  --  Phlip at politizen dot com                  (address munged)

2. Ati 3D Pro Turbo?

3. How FAST am I going? (waddle waddle)

4. Extremely Slow Performance

6. C++ in Linux

7. TAR help

8. Am I touchy? Or am I right?

9. How to tell how fast the modem is going

10. Going, going, going, GONE! Bye Windows!

11. Shutdown problems...am I doing it right?

12. Why am I not getting the right port number?