IBM Scrollpoint Pro mouse stick

Post by Henrik Carlqvis » Wed, 07 Jan 2004 01:15:31

I recently bought an IBM Scrollpoint Pro mouse. Instead of a scroll wheel
this mouse has a stick which allows you to scroll both horizontally and
vertically.

Some googling gave me the following working lines for XF86Config:

Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "6 7 4 5"

The XFree86 documentation said that I should use protocol
MouseManPlusPS/2, but then the stick didn't work at all.

Now checking with xev all 3 buttons and the stick does generate events,
however the stick doesn't behave as I expected. I thought that the stick
would behave like a mini joystick, moving up and down for two buttons and
left and right for the other two buttons. However moving the stick
sideways does not generate any event. Moving the stick up generates one of
two possible events and the remaining two events gets generated by moving
the stick down. Which of the two events seems to depend on where I put my
finger on the stick. If I put my finger far to the left on the stick while
moving the stick up I get another event than if I put my finger far to the
right of the stick.

Does anyone else have any experience from this mouse? Is this the way it
is supposed to behave?

regards Henrik
hc2(at)uthyres.com Examples of addresses which go to spammers:

Post by Jim Turner's LMAERO New » Fri, 09 Jan 2004 06:04:22

> I recently bought an IBM Scrollpoint Pro mouse. Instead of a scroll wheel
> this mouse has a stick which allows you to scroll both horizontally and
> vertically.

> Some googling gave me the following working lines for XF86Config:

> Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
> Option "ZAxisMapping" "6 7 4 5"

> The XFree86 documentation said that I should use protocol
> MouseManPlusPS/2, but then the stick didn't work at all.

> Now checking with xev all 3 buttons and the stick does generate events,
> however the stick doesn't behave as I expected. I thought that the stick
> would behave like a mini joystick, moving up and down for two buttons and
> left and right for the other two buttons. However moving the stick
> sideways does not generate any event. Moving the stick up generates one of
> two possible events and the remaining two events gets generated by moving
> the stick down. Which of the two events seems to depend on where I put my
> finger on the stick. If I put my finger far to the left on the stick while
> moving the stick up I get another event than if I put my finger far to the
> right of the stick.

> Does anyone else have any experience from this mouse? Is this the way it
> is supposed to behave?

> regards Henrik

You also need:

Option          "Buttons"       "7"

with your ZAxisMapping line.  The 2 lines you got from Google are
correct (IMPS/2, etc.).  Does your stick look like a pencil eraser or a
rocker button?  Mine has the rocker-button and lights up blue.  I was
able to get it to report all 4 button events (4-7), but it was a little
spastic - depended on exactly what angle and what pressure I pressed.  I
found it difficult to get any of the directions to work smoothly or
consistantly.  It seemes to be related to the mouse hardware, rather
than X or any other software.  I ended up giving up and only using up
and down.  I use "imwheel" to allow me to combine the "Alt"-key with up
and down to get left and right scrolling.  If you desire, I can
post/send you my "imwheel" config file (which I don't have here at the
office)

Cheers,

Jim

IBM Scrollpoint Pro mouse stick

Post by Henrik Carlqvis » Sun, 11 Jan 2004 05:32:17

Quote:>> however the stick doesn't behave as I expected. I thought that the
>> stick would behave like a mini joystick, moving up and down for two
>> buttons and left and right for the other two buttons.

Hello and thanks for your reply!

Quote:>Does your stick look like a pencil eraser or a rocker button?  Mine has
>the rocker-button and lights up blue.

I have exactly the same.

Quote:> I was able to get it to report all 4 button events (4-7), but it was a
> little spastic - depended on exactly what angle and what pressure I
> pressed.  I found it difficult to get any of the directions to work
> smoothly or consistantly.

That sounds exactly like the problems I have experienced. Instead of
forward, backwards, left and right I'm only able to generate events
forward and backwards. Still I am able to get 4 different events depending
on the angle.

Quote:> It seemes to be related to the mouse hardware, rather than X or any
> other software.

Once again thanks for your reply. I was wondering if I had gotten a broken
mouse but now it seems as if it supposed to be like this.

Quote:> I ended up giving up and only using up and down.

I will probably do the same with something like:

Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5 4 5"

Quote:> If you desire, I can post/send you my "imwheel" config file (which I
> don't have here at the office)

Thanks, it won't be necessary. I don't really have any application where I
need to scroll sideways. It was mostly as an experiment I bought this
mouse. I was wondering if it would be possible to use such a mouse for
movements in Quake-like games. The stick would then be used for moving
forward and backwards and strafing sideways. However for this to work it
would be necessary that the stick would behave like a pressed button when
hold in any direction. I did realize that most likely the stick would
behave like a button that was pressed and released repetedly when it is
hold in a direction. This is to simulate a scrolling scroll wheel which
generates new events as long as it is scrolled. Now I have seen that this
was also how it really behaved.

Instead I will now use the mouse as an ordinary scroll wheel mose, at
least it is a really cool looking mouse with the blue shining stick :-)

Post by mitc » Fri, 16 Jan 2004 07:46:02

> >> however the stick doesn't behave as I expected. I thought that the
> >> stick would behave like a mini joystick, moving up and down for two
> >> buttons and left and right for the other two buttons.

> Hello and thanks for your reply!

> >Does your stick look like a pencil eraser or a rocker button?  Mine has
> >the rocker-button and lights up blue.

> I have exactly the same.

> > I was able to get it to report all 4 button events (4-7), but it was a
> > little spastic - depended on exactly what angle and what pressure I
> > pressed.  I found it difficult to get any of the directions to work
> > smoothly or consistantly.

> That sounds exactly like the problems I have experienced. Instead of
> forward, backwards, left and right I'm only able to generate events
> forward and backwards. Still I am able to get 4 different events depending
> on the angle.

> > It seemes to be related to the mouse hardware, rather than X or any
> > other software.

> Once again thanks for your reply. I was wondering if I had gotten a broken
> mouse but now it seems as if it supposed to be like this.

> > I ended up giving up and only using up and down.

> I will probably do the same with something like:

> Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5 4 5"

> > If you desire, I can post/send you my "imwheel" config file (which I
> > don't have here at the office)

> Thanks, it won't be necessary. I don't really have any application where I
> need to scroll sideways. It was mostly as an experiment I bought this
> mouse. I was wondering if it would be possible to use such a mouse for
> movements in Quake-like games. The stick would then be used for moving
> forward and backwards and strafing sideways. However for this to work it
> would be necessary that the stick would behave like a pressed button when
> hold in any direction. I did realize that most likely the stick would
> behave like a button that was pressed and released repetedly when it is
> hold in a direction. This is to simulate a scrolling scroll wheel which
> generates new events as long as it is scrolled. Now I have seen that this
> was also how it really behaved.

> Instead I will now use the mouse as an ordinary scroll wheel mose, at
> least it is a really cool looking mouse with the blue shining stick :-)

> regards Henrik

The IBM scrollpoint mouse under Linux works but here's what I had to
do:

1)plug in the little green USB to PS/2 attachment and attach it as a
PS/2

2) use it as /dev/mouse  It would not work properly as /dev/input/mice
nor /dev/psaux  (don't ask me why I'm a newbie)

3) Here's my XFConfig section:

        Identifier  "Mouse1"
        Driver      "mouse"
        Option      "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
        Option      "Device" "/dev/mouse"
        Option      "Buttons" "7"
        Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5 6 7"
        Option      "Emulate3Buttons" "on"

1. IBM ScrollPoint II scroll stick?

Hi,

I have an IBM ScrollPoint II mouse. This is the type of mouse that has
a scroll stick instead of a scroll wheel. The mouse works OK, but I
have been unable to get the stick to be recognized for scrolling.

Here is the mouse section of my XF86Config-4 file:

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Mouse0"
        Driver      "mouse"
        Option      "Protocol" "MouseManPlusPS/2"
        Option      "Device" "/dev/psaux"
        Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
        Option      "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
EndSection

But still, no luck. The MouseManPlusPS/2 protocol is what the XFree86
README.mouse file suggests for this mouse. I have also tried setting
"ZAxisMapping" to "4 5 6 7" (because the stick moves in 2 dimensions)
with the same results.

This is with XFree86 4.1.0, RedHat 7.2 and kernel 2.4.17-pre7.

Any ideas?

Thank you,
--Diego

2. C fonction to implement if a process is still there on Solaris 5.8, Tru64

3. IBM Scrollpoint mouse?

4. Automount

5. Does IMwheel work for IBM Scrollpoint Mouse?

6. DirectoryIndex recognizes .HTML but not .HTM or other extensions

7. IBM ScrollPoint mouse.

8. Problem with sysinstall (2.2.2)

9. Stuck in a loop, stuck in a loop, ...

10. PS/2 Mouse stuck in X

11. HELP! - Mouse pointer sticks/jumps in X

12. Mouse stuck

13. How to use Toshiba's accupoint stick 'mouse' device?