XF86 v3.1 vs. v3.1.1?

Post by Gene E Markoz » Thu, 08 Jun 1995 04:00:00

I recently upgraded XF86 from v3.1 to v3.1.1. I am using
the XF86_SVGA server with a cirrus logic 5420 chipset.
Everything works as it did with v3.1 except that the new
server is not taking advantage of the video card's accelerated
features and hardware cursor. The old server would probe the
card and use these features. The new one will not.

I hope someone knows how to get the SVGA server to take advantage
of my video card. I am currently using the old server because
it runs about 3 times faster.

Thanks.

Gene

XF86 v3.1 vs. v3.1.1?

Post by Robert A Da » Thu, 08 Jun 1995 04:00:00

: I recently upgraded XF86 from v3.1 to v3.1.1. I am using
: the XF86_SVGA server with a cirrus logic 5420 chipset.
: Everything works as it did with v3.1 except that the new
: server is not taking advantage of the video card's accelerated
                                                        /\
                                        KEYWORD----------|

--

Try using one of the accelerated drivers. That usually works. ;)

XF86 v3.1 vs. v3.1.1?

Post by Matthias Bun » Sat, 17 Jun 1995 04:00:00

: I recently upgraded XF86 from v3.1 to v3.1.1. I am using
: the XF86_SVGA server with a cirrus logic 5420 chipset.
: Everything works as it did with v3.1 except that the new
: server is not taking advantage of the video card's accelerated
: features and hardware cursor. The old server would probe the
: card and use these features. The new one will not.

: I hope someone knows how to get the SVGA server to take advantage
: of my video card. I am currently using the old server because
: it runs about 3 times faster.

: Thanks.

: Gene

Hi!

Perhaps you have to tell the chipset direct? But I think it is no
need to upgrade from 3.1 to 3.1.1 because the only difference is
there are more cards supported. I have to use it, because my
clockchip is not known by v3.1. And I only upgraded the server.
The libs didn't change.

Bye, Matthias

1. #9 GXE Pro and XF86_S3 v3.1 (or v3.1.1)

The answer appears to be that this revision of the BIOS on the GXE64 pro is
not quite working. I posted about this a few weeks ago. Interestingly
enough, on a GXE64 pro with a slightly older rev of the BIOS, I have 3.1.1
working OK. However, I can reproduce the bug if I start a dos program that
does SVGA graphics and then soft boot and run linux. My theory is that
the S3 server either inits or fails to init some aspect of the card. I
suspect it would be very easy to track down if one could get #9 to tell
you exactly what the change to the bios was. I have a call into them at
the moment; if I get any info, I plan to fix the server and send the patch
to xfree.

Bill Moran

2. Adding an addition HD to SparcServer 20 with Solaris 2.x

3. Upgrading v3.1.1 to v3.1.2

4. DTrace: What am I doing wrong?

5. installation order for kde v3.1.1

6. sockaddr_un missing sun_len field in Linux

7. Help! (Caldera OpenLinux V3.1.1)

8. PPP problems with 1.0.9 thru 1.1.73

9. Phillips 15B and XFree86 v3.1.1

10. jdk1.1.1-v3 + glibc2: can't resolve symbol

11. ALG-2301 X11R6 v3.1.1 & Interlaced Screen

12. Cannot see anything in v3.1.1

13. XFree86 v3.1.1 is forgroundless!