Adaptec 78xx Hardware RAID and RH6

Post by Alex Ibrad » Fri, 27 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Hello,

I know that the Red Hat HW compatibility list says:

"We currently do not support hardware raid in any of the Adaptec AIC78xx
controllers."

   and

"Currently you cannot install Red Hat Linux's root partition onto a raid
device."

Unfortunately, I have to work with such hardware and I was wondering if
someone out there has gotten HW RAID up and running on the 78xx series,
preferrably booting off the RAID as well. Any pointers would be of help as
the HOWTOs seem obsolete or not applicable. If not, a "got it going on
Software RAID" note would also be appreciated. Thanks!

                    http://www.searchlinux.com

Adaptec 78xx Hardware RAID and RH6

Post by Tony Plat » Sun, 29 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Redhat states that same thing for Compaq raid controllers and others (IBM
comes to mind)

But if you sniff a little further, you find that if you fiddle you can get
this type of setup to work. (I am not saying your setup will work
sorry --havn't tried that config-- ) but someone somewhere is probably
writing a driver right now for it....if there isn't one already made <grin>

I only had to wait a short time before someone wrote a driver for my raid
controllers....YES !!!!

Now I am a happy chappy.....

My advice is search the net with every tool you can find.......you never
know what you will find

Tony Platt

>Hello,

>I know that the Red Hat HW compatibility list says:

>"We currently do not support hardware raid in any of the Adaptec AIC78xx
>controllers."

>   and

>"Currently you cannot install Red Hat Linux's root partition onto a raid
>device."

>Unfortunately, I have to work with such hardware and I was wondering if
>someone out there has gotten HW RAID up and running on the 78xx series,
>preferrably booting off the RAID as well. Any pointers would be of help as
>the HOWTOs seem obsolete or not applicable. If not, a "got it going on
>Software RAID" note would also be appreciated. Thanks!

>                    http://www.searchlinux.com

Adaptec 78xx Hardware RAID and RH6

Post by Greg Leblan » Sun, 29 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Well, redhat has been know to often be full of crap.  If you configure
the RAID before you start the install, I 'suspect' that you won't have
any problems.  I just did an "un-supported" install today.  I got a new
DPT smartraid V for a new web server, and I installed RH6 on the RAID
drive without any trouble.  The only problem is that XFree has poor
support for the Cirrus 5446 (or something similar) which is the chipset
on most "server" computers from HP, Dell, and Compaq.  If anybody
happens to read this with some pointers on how to fix X on that, let me
know.

Quote:> Hello,

--
It's pronounced "*" not "scuzzy"!

Adaptec 78xx Hardware RAID and RH6

Post by Zoso » Sun, 29 Aug 1999 04:00:00

we are running RH6 2.2.11 on an Adaptec AAA-133u2 raid controller

first it wouldn't boot on a raid partition (/dev/md0).
We got around this problem by installing RH6  on an IDE device and then tar
the contents to the raid partition prepared for a boot partition.

it now boots fine from the raid device

our config is:

md0 : /boot (root device)
md1 : /usr
md2 : /var
md3 : /home

they are configured with superblock turned on - so that they can be
autodetected at bootup.

we get an error message from lo, eth0 and eth1 that the aliases cannot....

we think that this has something to do with the old mount point....

do you know where the absolute paths are configured?

Zoso