strange PCMCIA modem problem...

Post by M La » Thu, 21 May 1998 04:00:00

Hi all,

I just installed RedHat 5.0 on my laptop and everything went fine
(almost). I have 2 PCMCIA slots: 1 is pcmcia Ethernet card and second
is a 33.6 PCMCIA modem card.

Linux booted up just fine, found the network and modem card
and loaded the proper modules. I was able to connect to the
net via 10-baseT. When I tried to test the modem using
"minicom -s", I was able to type "AT", but the "OK" prompt
came back only after I kept hitting "return" and I got one
character back per "return".

I then removed the network pc card and left the modem card
as the only PCMCIA card in there and the samething happend.
I have tried switching slot and same thing.

I have checked all I can: no interrupt conflict, no port
overlap, etc...

"cardctl config" shown the right configuration
and /dev/modem points to /dev/cua0 (I diabled my external
com port) and "setserial -a /dev/modem" shown everything was fine
(115000 baud_base, spd_vhi etc...). I have even tried
spd_normal and nothing worked.

I would really appreciate any info/help/comments.

Thank you very much.

 - Minh -

strange PCMCIA modem problem...

Post by Mark » Sat, 23 May 1998 04:00:00

<snip>
I recommend getting the pcmcia-cs 3.0 or 3.1 tar ball and install that one.
It solved most of my modem problems, I've got a combined ethernet/modem
3Com thingy.
You can find them at ftp://hyper.stanford.edu under /pub/pcmcia and
probally somewhere at sunsite as well.

Hope this helps

--
Delete the _remove_ if you like to email me from

Post by M La » Wed, 27 May 1998 04:00:00

> <snip>
> I recommend getting the pcmcia-cs 3.0 or 3.1 tar ball and install that one.
> It solved most of my modem problems, I've got a combined ethernet/modem
> 3Com thingy.
> You can find them at ftp://hyper.stanford.edu under /pub/pcmcia and
> probally somewhere at sunsite as well.

> Hope this helps

> --
> Delete the _remove_ if you like to email me from

I did install the latest pcmcia-cs (3.1) over the weekend and
the pcmcia modem still didn't work (same problem).

strange PCMCIA modem problem...

Post by David Hin » Thu, 28 May 1998 04:00:00

: Hi all,
:
[...]

Are you *sure* you don't have an interrupt conflict?  Because based on
everything else you've said, I'd bet a dollar that you do.

Try ejecting the cards, insert just the modem, and see if that makes a
difference.

-- Dave

Post by M La » Sat, 30 May 1998 04:00:00

> : Hi all,
> :
> : I just installed RedHat 5.0 on my laptop and everything went fine
> : (almost). I have 2 PCMCIA slots: 1 is pcmcia Ethernet card and second
> : is a 33.6 PCMCIA modem card.
> :
> : Linux booted up just fine, found the network and modem card
> : and loaded the proper modules. I was able to connect to the
> : net via 10-baseT. When I tried to test the modem using
> : "minicom -s", I was able to type "AT", but the "OK" prompt
> : came back only after I kept hitting "return" and I got one
> : character back per "return".
> :
> : I then removed the network pc card and left the modem card
> : as the only PCMCIA card in there and the samething happend.
> : I have tried switching slot and same thing.
> :
> : I have checked all I can: no interrupt conflict, no port
> : overlap, etc...

> Are you *sure* you don't have an interrupt conflict?  Because based on
> everything else you've said, I'd bet a dollar that you do.

> Try ejecting the cards, insert just the modem, and see if that makes a
> difference.

> -- Dave

Dave, thanks for the reply. Yes, I did try to remove the modem
and inserted it back. The cardmgr recognized the removal
and insertion properly and I still got the same problem.

I'm sure there is no interrupt conflict as I have checked
/proc/interrupts, dmesg and /var/log/messages without seeing
anything unusual. I have even forced it to use other interrupts
and I always saw the same behavior.

Yes, I agree with you that from what I observe it seems that
it points to some kind of interrupt conflict but it's weird
that changing int assignment didn't help at all!

 - Minh -

1. Please help: strange PCMCIA modem problem in Linux.....

Hi all,

I just installed RedHat 5.0 on my laptop and everything went fine
(almost). I have 2 PCMCIA slots: 1 is pcmcia Ethernet card and second
is a 33.6 PCMCIA modem card.

Linux booted up just fine, found the network and modem card
and loaded the proper modules. I was able to connect to the
net via 10-baseT. When I tried to test the modem using
"minicom -s", I was able to type "AT", but the "OK" prompt
came back only after I kept hitting "return" and I got one
character back per "return".

I have checked all I can: no interrupt conflict, no port
overlap, etc...

"cardctl config" shown the right configuration
and /dev/modem points to /dev/cua0 and
"setserial -a /dev/modem" shown everything was fine
(115000 baud_base, spd_vhi etc...)

I would really appreciate any info/help/comments.

Thank you very much.

 - Minh -

2. Printtool startup error

3. PCMCIA modem strange problem...

4. lockf() or locking()

5. Having problem with PCMCIA and USR Sportster PCMCIA modem

6. AutoClients in disconnected mode

7. Strange modem problem -- my modem no longer works in Linux

8. 3270 cluster server

9. Hayes 336 fax/modem PCMCIA problem w/RH 6.1 -- can't activate modem

10. Problem accessing modem on Linksys combo ethernet modem PCMCIA card

11. PCMCIA problem: using ethernet/modem card as MODEM ONLY

12. Strange problem with pcmcia!!!!!!!

13. Strange problems about Pcmcia setup