which distribution will work on old 486 DX2/66

which distribution will work on old 486 DX2/66

Post by arie.. » Tue, 18 Sep 2001 16:35:52

Hi all,
I am not very familiar with the different flavors that are out there,
but I need to know which flavor is compact and fast enough to run on
my old 486 dx2/66 with a little bitty 16 megs of ram and 540 meg HD.

I don't expect any micracles and have a pretty souped up PIII that I
use for most of my work, but I want to add the 486 to my home network
and windows98 is too slow for that old machine.  Really the main use
of the 486 will be to use instant messenger and send and recieve
email, nothing too fancy, but if I can run star office and the gcc C
compiler on there for my unix programming it would be nice.

As far as hardware, I have a D-Link 804 DSL Router/Switch already.

which distribution will work on old 486 DX2/66

Post by Herb Stei » Tue, 18 Sep 2001 21:19:05

Quote:> Hi all,
> I am not very familiar with the different flavors that are out there,
> but I need to know which flavor is compact and fast enough to run on
> my old 486 dx2/66 with a little bitty 16 megs of ram and 540 meg HD.

I ran RedHat Linux 6.something on an AMD 486-40/DX3 with
32 MB as a DNS and mail server (POP3 and SMTP) for several
years with no problems. I didn't install any of the windowing
software however.

I took it out of service when the SCSI drive or controller failed.
I've since put in an old IDE drive. I'm about to add another
network card, install RH 7.x and use it as a firewall machine.

Quote:> I don't expect any micracles and have a pretty souped up PIII that I

--
Herb Stein
The Herb Stein Group

314 952-4601

Post by seba » Wed, 19 Sep 2001 23:49:39

>Hi all,
>I am not very familiar with the different flavors that are out there,
>but I need to know which flavor is compact and fast enough to run on
>my old 486 dx2/66 with a little bitty 16 megs of ram and 540 meg HD.

What about a looplinux, it's very small in size (10 Mb) ?
http://www.tux.org/pub/people/kent-robotti/looplinux/index.html

Or maybe a zipslack, from slackware (34Mb) ?
http://www.slackware.com/zipslack/
ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/distributions/slackware/zipslack/

HTH
Sebas

Post by Charles Sulliva » Thu, 20 Sep 2001 09:57:26

> Hi all,
> I am not very familiar with the different flavors that are out there,
> but I need to know which flavor is compact and fast enough to run on my
> old 486 dx2/66 with a little bitty 16 megs of ram and 540 meg HD.

> I don't expect any micracles and have a pretty souped up PIII that I use
> for most of my work, but I want to add the 486 to my home network and
> windows98 is too slow for that old machine.  Really the main use of the
> 486 will be to use instant messenger and send and recieve email, nothing
> too fancy, but if I can run star office and the gcc C compiler on there
> for my unix programming it would be nice.

> As far as hardware, I have a D-Link 804 DSL Router/Switch already.

If the system is too slow for Win 98, it'll be too slow for Linux
GUI programs like Star Office (and probably a little
short on RAM and HD capacity).  email and gcc will probably work fine
if you forget the GUI and stick with the text console.

1. Performance Increase: 486/DX2 66 to 486/DX4 100

I'd like to know what kind of a performance increase I can
expect by swapping my 486/DX2 66 for an AMD 486/DX4 100, and by getting a
motherboard (VLB) with 256K cache (my current board has no external
cache).

        Also, how much of an increase would I get over the above by
putting in a 486/DX5 120?  And how much more would it cost me?

2. BASH

3. 3c509 ethernet and IBM aptiva 486 DX2 66

4. Sun Certifications (In OZ) ?

5. '92 Gateway 486/66 DX2 and Linux, any luck?

6. Q[ipt]: Amount of rejected packets

7. How many users can I get on a 486 DX2 66 server?

8. Help with S3 Trio64V+

9. Why does my 486 DX2 66 register 0.78 BogoMips (no turbo switch) ?

10. Acer Acros 486 DX2/66 - 12 MB cool, 16 MB crash - please help

11. 486 DX2-66 => DX4-100 in a laptop.

12. 486 DX2-66 Speed?

13. 486 DX2/66 Okay for ipfwadm?