USB Scanner, SANE Troubles

Post by Anthony Dye » Thu, 28 Jun 2001 06:52:19

This afternoon/evening I've been trying to get my Agfa Snapscan 1212u to
work on my machine.  No success

The night before I managed to compile the 2.4 kernel onto my redhat linux
6.1 system.

The scanner was recognised when booting up with the new kernel and so I've
now been investigating how to get it to work.
I've installed sane-1.0.3 from http://panda.mostang.com/sane
as well as the Snapscan backend for SANE at http://snapscan.sourceforge.net

Using documents found at www.linux-usb.org/USB-guide I entered
"mount -t usbdevfs none /proc/bus/usb"
"mknod /dev/usbscanner c 180 48"
"chmod a+rw /dev/usbscanner"

Then I edited the snapscan.conf file in the sane.d directory to have only
one line
"usb /dev/usbscanner"

Finally when I enter "./scanimage --list-devices" the terminal hangs.
Sometimes when the scanner is switched off, the light will blink then stay
on when this command is entered - but no luck on the computer screen. I've
also tried "tools/find-scanner" The output however mentions that it only
looks for scsi devices.

I wondering if it's anything to do with the kernel compilation. Under make
xconfig, I entered y rather than m for the usb support and usb-scanner
support.  Does this make a difference?

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd be very grateful, I'm relatively new to
linux and this is the first time I've ever compiled kernels etc.

--
Anthony Dyer
http://www.mountain-walking.org.uk

USB Scanner, SANE Troubles

Post by Leonard Even » Fri, 29 Jun 2001 00:58:48

> This afternoon/evening I've been trying to get my Agfa Snapscan 1212u to
> work on my machine.  No success

> The night before I managed to compile the 2.4 kernel onto my redhat linux
> 6.1 system.

> The scanner was recognised when booting up with the new kernel and so I've
> now been investigating how to get it to work.
> I've installed sane-1.0.3 from http://panda.mostang.com/sane
> as well as the Snapscan backend for SANE at http://snapscan.sourceforge.net

> Using documents found at www.linux-usb.org/USB-guide I entered
> "mount -t usbdevfs none /proc/bus/usb"
> "mknod /dev/usbscanner c 180 48"
> "chmod a+rw /dev/usbscanner"

> Then I edited the snapscan.conf file in the sane.d directory to have only
> one line
> "usb /dev/usbscanner"

> Finally when I enter "./scanimage --list-devices" the terminal hangs.
> Sometimes when the scanner is switched off, the light will blink then stay
> on when this command is entered - but no luck on the computer screen. I've
> also tried "tools/find-scanner" The output however mentions that it only
> looks for scsi devices.

> I wondering if it's anything to do with the kernel compilation. Under make
> xconfig, I entered y rather than m for the usb support and usb-scanner
> support.  Does this make a difference?

> If anyone has any suggestions, I'd be very grateful, I'm relatively new to
> linux and this is the first time I've ever compiled kernels etc.

> --
> Anthony Dyer
> http://www.mountain-walking.org.uk

You may have to load the scanner module with appropriate vendor
and product IDs.   See the web site
freecolormanagement.com/sane/
for an explanation.   Also you may need to upgrade the scanner
module.  See
www.jump.net/~dnelson/linux/usb/

1. USB scanner exists to Yast2, does not exist to SANE

I had to reinstall SuSE 7.3 after all my configuration files were lost
in an update (I now know to back them all up manually before hand).
My scanner never gave me trouble before.

I don't want to install again, because installations for me are
failed-module and segmetation-fault crap-shoots and it takes me 20-40
tries to get something bootable that I can then repair.  Not to get
into this, but my processor, cache, and memory run days at a time in
Memcheck, and I can copy and varify large chunks of data under linux.
I am just unstable under the minux installer itself (even though I
dumb down my BIOS, turn off DMA and set the slowest PIO mode, etc.).

Anyway, Yast find my scanner, but I get the following error when I try
to scan a test page:
Use of uninitialized value in
concatenation (.) or string at
        /usr/lib/YaST2/agents_
non_y2//ycp.pm line 789, <STDI
N> line 10 (#1)
scanimage: open of device snap
scan:/dev/usbscanner failed: I
nvalid argument

This line appears to have something to do with interpreting
keystrokes, and has nothing to do with the scanner.

SANE does not detect any devices after Yast2 sets up /dev/usbscanner.

Any ideas?

Mike

2. Sudden PPP problems - please help

3. Epson USB scanner and sane

4. Mars_nwe and upper-and-lower case CDs

5. Epson 1240 USB Scanner, Sane and FreeBSD

6. Q: "ifconfig -a" shows hme0 and hme1 with same ethernet addr?

7. USB Scanner (AGFA SnapScan 1212u) and SANE?

8. Problems writing a port responder under HP-UX 9 (inetd responder)

9. USB Scanner Using SANE

10. USB Scanner and sane

11. Epson 1250U usb scanner, latest sane can't find it.

12. Microtek USB Scanner Scanmaker 5900 and Sane

13. sane/scanner trouble