Adding second Linux Drive to existing dual boot Win95 / Linux system

Adding second Linux Drive to existing dual boot Win95 / Linux system

Post by mike » Sun, 24 Sep 2000 04:00:00

Hi,
    I have a Pentium 90 computer with 80megs ram and IBM
15GB hard drive. It has Win95 and Redhat Linux 6.1 on it.
There is a Promise Technology DriveMAX   bios extender card
in there.
   I have an old Fujitsu M-2624 ~525 mb hard drive with
Redhat Linux 5.1 on it. I have it set up as secondary master.
I am using the new Lilo version 21.5 and want to set it up
to be able to boot into either Win95 or the two versions of
Linux. My problem is that I can't get the Rh5.1 Linux to
boot. I get kernel panic. The Redhat 6.1 on the IBM drive
has no problems booting. I was thinking that it might
be a geometry problem for the Fujitsu drive. I can mount
it with Redhat6.1 which maybe means that it isn't a geometry
problem.
  I get the following message when trying to boot the Rh5.1:
Partition check:
hda: hda1 hda2
hdc: hdc1 hdc2 <hdc5>
attempt to access beyond end of device
03:0a: rw=0, want=1, limit=0
FAT bread failed
Kernel panit: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 03:0a

  If it is a geometry problem is there a way of feeding the
disk geometry of the Fujitsu drive to lilo through statements in the
lilo.conf file?
                                                     Thanks
                                                                Mike

Post by Henrik Carlqvis » Mon, 25 Sep 2000 04:00:00

>    I have an old Fujitsu M-2624 ~525 mb hard drive with
> Redhat Linux 5.1 on it. I have it set up as secondary master.
> I am using the new Lilo version 21.5 and want to set it up
> to be able to boot into either Win95 or the two versions of
> Linux.

LILO is only able to boot from disks that your BIOS is able to boot
from. Your BIOS is only able to boot from disks on your first IDE
controller.

Quote:>   I get the following message when trying to boot the Rh5.1:
> Partition check:
> hda: hda1 hda2
> hdc: hdc1 hdc2 <hdc5>

Put you new Fujitsu disk as primary slave instead (hdb) then LILO will
be able to boot from it. Some disks also has to be rejumpered when going
from single disk to master.

regards Henrik
--
spammer strikeback:

Post by Eric » Tue, 26 Sep 2000 04:00:00

> Hi,
>     I have a Pentium 90 computer with 80megs ram and IBM
> 15GB hard drive. It has Win95 and Redhat Linux 6.1 on it.
> There is a Promise Technology DriveMAX   bios extender card
> in there.
>    I have an old Fujitsu M-2624 ~525 mb hard drive with
> Redhat Linux 5.1 on it. I have it set up as secondary master.
> I am using the new Lilo version 21.5 and want to set it up
> to be able to boot into either Win95 or the two versions of
> Linux. My problem is that I can't get the Rh5.1 Linux to
> boot. I get kernel panic. The Redhat 6.1 on the IBM drive
> has no problems booting. I was thinking that it might
> be a geometry problem for the Fujitsu drive. I can mount
> it with Redhat6.1 which maybe means that it isn't a geometry
> problem.
>   I get the following message when trying to boot the Rh5.1:
> Partition check:
> hda: hda1 hda2
> hdc: hdc1 hdc2 <hdc5>
> attempt to access beyond end of device
> 03:0a: rw=0, want=1, limit=0
> FAT bread failed
> Kernel panit: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 03:0a

>   If it is a geometry problem is there a way of feeding the
> disk geometry of the Fujitsu drive to lilo through statements in the
> lilo.conf file?
>                                                      Thanks
>                                                                 Mike

Your BIOS probably cannot boot from the 2nd IDE controller
connect the 2nd HDD as hdb instead of hdc, or (this is less work) copy
the kernel image from your 5.1 disc to the first HDD and boot from
there. That means both kernel images use /boot on hda, the other
partitions are not shared.

Eric

Adding second Linux Drive to existing dual boot Win95 / Linux system

Post by Andrew Vitsenk » Fri, 29 Sep 2000 04:00:00

Hi!

> Hi,
>     I have a Pentium 90 computer with 80megs ram and IBM
> 15GB hard drive. It has Win95 and Redhat Linux 6.1 on it.
> There is a Promise Technology DriveMAX   bios extender card
> in there.
>    I have an old Fujitsu M-2624 ~525 mb hard drive with
> Redhat Linux 5.1 on it. I have it set up as secondary master.
> I am using the new Lilo version 21.5 and want to set it up
> to be able to boot into either Win95 or the two versions of
> Linux. My problem is that I can't get the Rh5.1 Linux to
> boot. I get kernel panic.

First of all, You can booting RH6.1, from Your Primary Master IDE.
After then, mount / of Your 5.1 RH & just copy rh-51 kernel to your
/boot.
Add new line about additional kernel to Your /etc/lilo.conf & specify
root= to existing rh51 root.
Run lilo.
If necessary, editing /etc/fstab on rh51 root partition.

Quote:

>   I get the following message when trying to boot the Rh5.1:
> Partition check:
> hda: hda1 hda2
> hdc: hdc1 hdc2 <hdc5>
> attempt to access beyond end of device
> 03:0a: rw=0, want=1, limit=0
> FAT bread failed
> Kernel panit: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 03:0a

>   If it is a geometry problem is there a way of feeding the
> disk geometry of the Fujitsu drive to lilo through statements in the
> lilo.conf file?

Have You got this message when booting rh61?
Quote:

>                                                      Thanks
>                                                                 Mike

1. Dual-drive dual-boot RH Linux 5.1 & Win95: recommended boot manager?

Hi:

I've got a 266 PII PC with one EIDE hard-drive with Win95 installed.  I want
to add a second EIDE hard drive (probably around 4-6 Gb) and install RH
Linux 5.1 plus some other Linux s/w (like Oracle8.0.5 pre-production
release!  Yew!).  I want to be able to choose which O/S (ie. which
hard-drive) I boot from at power-on.  I'm not real good with hardware and
low-level stuff.  Do I need to purchase a good boot-loader?  Is there one
that anyone would recommend that works very well and is simple (and safe!)
to install for choosing boot between Linux and Win95?

Doubly thankful if you would respond via email as well as posting here!

Thanks and regards,
Dave

2. need some help with chap...

3. High speed Internet (ASDL/rr-pppoe) problem with kde2.2/RH7.1

4. HELP: Win95 and Linux Dual booting with two hard drives

5. Gonna buy a laptop, PCMCIA modems and questions

6. LILO: Dual boot Linux drive+Win95 drive problem

7. ! Hard drive size needed for Router setup?

8. Existing Win95 computer with two hard drives needs Linux on

9. Dual booting Linux with boot.ini, and two hard drives?

10. Win95/NT4 Dual Boot <--- How do I add linux ontop of this?

11. adding drives to existing Linux system

12. Win95/Linux dual boot with 2 hard drives