Strange NVIDIA_kernel 0.9-5 instalation problem... please help !

Strange NVIDIA_kernel 0.9-5 instalation problem... please help !

Post by John Labb » Thu, 28 Sep 2000 04:00:00

Hi all,

        I am running redhat 6.1 with XFree86 4.01 . The video card is
a Geforce DDR. My current nv_drv.o , wich came with the redhat distro,
works fine.

         I installed   NVIDIA kernel 0.9-5 src rpm ( had to build
because of kernel mismatch... ) , took care of old mesa files and
links , then installed NVIDIA_GLX-0.9-5.i386.rpm . I changed the
xconfig so it would call driver "nvidia" , then when I would start x,
and get an error saying it could not open /dev/nvidia0 ( my /dev dir
does contain that file..) and a  message that my NVdriver kernel
appears to not have been installed properly !

        lsmod list the NVdriver as used by (autoclean) ... I also made
sure the  line alias char-major-195 NVdriver  is in my conf.modules
file.  I then tryed to install the NVdriver again by using the
tarball.. . same result ..

        If anyone has could help me out  I would greatly appreciate !

Dan

Strange NVIDIA_kernel 0.9-5 instalation problem... please help !

Post by Linus Harlin » Sat, 30 Sep 2000 04:00:00

Dont know much about redhat, but I had the exact same problem in
Slackware7.0; in my case it was that slackware has an alternate module
configuration file called /etc/rc.d/rc.modules , i just had to add
"modprobe NVdriver" at the end of that file (and reeboot) to get it
working. I looked in the different (uncompiled) driverfiles to get the
clues...

hope it helps / Linus Harling