how to install Linux 6.0 onto the 3rd disk

how to install Linux 6.0 onto the 3rd disk

Post by Jane » Sat, 23 Oct 1999 04:00:00

I have 3 hard disks and one cd-rom in my system. C is for Win95, D is for NT
4.0 (both on the first channel). Ia have a CD-ROM and a 1GB disk on the
second IDE channel. How can install Linux onto the 3rd disk ? I am using
Mandrake 6.0. It does not allow me to create / on the /dev/hdd1. why ......

Post by Michael Meissne » Sun, 24 Oct 1999 04:00:00

> I have 3 hard disks and one cd-rom in my system. C is for Win95, D is for NT
> 4.0 (both on the first channel). Ia have a CD-ROM and a 1GB disk on the
> second IDE channel. How can install Linux onto the 3rd disk ? I am using
> Mandrake 6.0. It does not allow me to create / on the /dev/hdd1. why ......

Most BIOSes won't let you boot to anything but disks 1 and 2, so most linux
instations try to help you out by refusing to put / or /boot on something that
isn't bootable.  Try reducing your C or D drives a bit and adding a 5-15 meg
/boot partition on either disk.  This assumes you have a partitioner that will
let you resize a partition in place (Partition Magic will do this for example).
I recall Mandrake paid for somebody to write a partition magic like program,
but it certainly was released after 6.0 (it might be in 6.1).

(the /boot partition contains all of the files necessary for booting).

--
Michael Meissner, Cygnus Solutions
PMB 198, 174 Littleton Road #3, Westford, Massachusetts 01886

Post by wayn » Mon, 25 Oct 1999 04:00:00

> I have 3 hard disks and one cd-rom in my system. C is for Win95, D is
for NT
> 4.0 (both on the first channel). Ia have a CD-ROM and a 1GB disk on the
> second IDE channel. How can install Linux onto the 3rd disk ? I am using
> Mandrake 6.0. It does not allow me to create / on the /dev/hdd1.
why ......

how to install Linux 6.0 onto the 3rd disk

Post by wayn » Mon, 25 Oct 1999 04:00:00

> I have 3 hard disks and one cd-rom in my system. C is for Win95, D is
for NT
> 4.0 (both on the first channel). Ia have a CD-ROM and a 1GB disk on the
> second IDE channel. How can install Linux onto the 3rd disk ? I am using
> Mandrake 6.0. It does not allow me to create / on the /dev/hdd1.
why ......

how to install Linux 6.0 onto the 3rd disk

Post by wayn » Mon, 25 Oct 1999 04:00:00

HELLO JANE:ok first of all hda is hard drive 1 ,the one thats c:drive in
windows.hdb is hard drive 2 the one you say is d:drive that has nt on it
and is on the same ide channel(on the same ribbon cable as slave)Your
third hard drive is hdc which is where your 1gb disk and cdrom are.(This
is on your second ide ribbon cable.If you want to install linux on that
third hard drive then you should be trying to install your /(root
partition on hdc1.Be sure if you are going to use lilo for booting the
three systems then put lilo on your master boot record.I use three hard
drives myself with no problems.If you need more help email me.

how to install Linux 6.0 onto the 3rd disk

Post by Dr. Oo » Mon, 25 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Sorry to bother, but what the hack is Linux 6.0? The current kernel is
2.3.something!

Are we confusing Redhat whith Linux here?

The Dr.

Post by Rupert Hai » Mon, 25 Oct 1999 04:00:00

> Sorry to bother, but what the hack is Linux 6.0? The current kernel is
> 2.3.something!

> Are we confusing Redhat whith Linux here?

This seems to be a very common problem among the more useless linux newbies.
I think it is due to the overattention that redhat is getting from the
press.  I THINK SOMETHING SHOULD BE DONE :-)
Quote:

> The Dr.

1. Installing Linux onto a 3rd IDE drive

Linux only gives me the option of either HD1 or 2, but not 3.
        I am using a 486 with 2 IDE controllers, one set to secondary.
DOS and Windows have no problem finding and using the 3rd IDE drive.
        I have been told to get atdisk2 to patch linux to use 3 or 4 drives
but this doesn't help as I want to install linux onto the 3rd drive.
        As I see it, there are two main ways:
                1. Install linux onto the 3rd drive using some command line?
            or  2. moving the 3rd drive to the second slot (primary ide
controller), and installing it there, then moving it back to its third
position, and then hoping linux with the patch will find it..
        I would greatly appreciate anyhelp I get.. and could you please mail

thank you ,
                        Harald van der Kam

                                        furysound - IRC #GUS

News-Software: VAX/VMS VNEWS 1.41

2. WHY MS FEARS SO MUCH ABOUT OS/2?..BECAUSE IT IS BETTER--> GO OS/2 NOW

3. can we copy an installed Linux on a hard disk onto another hard disk

4. Kernel Problem

5. Installing Slackware 2.1 onto the 3rd IDE drive

6. please helpme install LINUX

7. Installing onto 3rd Hard Drive

8. terratec maestro 32/96

9. Installing Slackware Linux onto (ATAPI) Zip Disk

10. Can I use a RH 5.2 install disk for a 6.0 NFS or FTP install?

11. Difficulty installing Turbo Linux 6.0 on large disk

12. i am getting the following error while installing LRP onto Hard disk?

13. can't install LILO onto SCSI disk