Redhat Linux Syskonnect sk98lin

Post by Je » Thu, 21 Nov 2002 06:33:58

I have 5 Dell Poweredge 2550 systems.  All running RedHat Linux 7.2
with a customized 2.4.7 kernel.   Each system has 2 syskonnect Dual
Link Gig ethernet fiber cards.  Anyway.. 3 of the systems are older
and have 933M proccessors and are working just fine.  On the other 2
they are newer and have 1 Gig processors.  I have tried going through
Dell Support and done the normal things.. running all their
diagnostics, I downgraded the bioses in the newer systems to match the
ones that do work.
Basically the problem is, whenever I apply traffic to my gig fiber
nics the system reboots.  Sometimes it takes days other times minutes
or seconds.  If I run a tcpdump on any interface it almost immediatly
crashes.  No messages are written to any logs.
I've tried swapping everything on these systems.  Nics, pci slot
caddy, hard drives, memory... Dell recommends I try swapping the 1gig
processors for a 933M which I will try.
I've tried using several different kernels, I've tried using RedHat
8.0 all with the same results.
Oh.. there is also an on-board ethernet adapter: an Intel Corporation
82557 10/100.
I'm associating this issue with the gig cards simply because if they
are out it doesn't seem to happen.  But it may take longer for the
effects to show, because I can't generate as much ethernet traffic as
i can gig traffic.
Anybody have any ideas at all of something to try or to look for??
Anything at all?

Jen

Post by Henrik Carlqvis » Thu, 21 Nov 2002 07:15:10

> I have 5 Dell Poweredge 2550 systems.  All running RedHat Linux 7.2 with
> a customized 2.4.7 kernel.
> 3 of the systems are older and have 933M
> proccessors and are working just fine.  On the other 2 they are newer
> and have 1 Gig processors.
> Basically the problem is, whenever I apply traffic to my gig fiber
> nics the system reboots.  Sometimes it takes days other times minutes
> or seconds.
> Oh.. there is also an on-board ethernet adapter: an Intel Corporation
> 82557 10/100.
> Anybody have any ideas at all of something to try or to look for??
> Anything at all?

I have seen a Fujitsu with a 1 GHz PIII and an onboard intel nic hang
randomly. A search on the net gave me that intel had changed their
nic specification without changing how the nic identified itself. I had
this problem with kernel 2.4.5 which on the other hand worked fine with
other intel nics using the same driver.

The solution for me was to insert a 3com PCI nic and use that card. When
the intel module wasn't loaded the machine became completely stable. As
for you the hangs was randomly, sometimes after a few minutes, sometimes
after several hours. This was about a year ago, I'm not sure, but I think
that the machine simply hanged, I don't think it rebooted.

regards Henrik
hc1(at)uthyres.com Examples of addresses which go to spammers:

Redhat Linux Syskonnect sk98lin

Post by Je » Fri, 22 Nov 2002 04:19:07

Switching out the nics didn't seem to help.  I even tried just
disabling the on-board nic in the bios and not putting another nic, it
still crashed.  Switching out the processors seems to be working..
it;s stayed up for about 3 hrs now.  I would still very much like to
know why this is happening.

> > I have 5 Dell Poweredge 2550 systems.  All running RedHat Linux 7.2 with
> > a customized 2.4.7 kernel.
> > 3 of the systems are older and have 933M
> > proccessors and are working just fine.  On the other 2 they are newer
> > and have 1 Gig processors.
> > Basically the problem is, whenever I apply traffic to my gig fiber
> > nics the system reboots.  Sometimes it takes days other times minutes
> > or seconds.
> > Oh.. there is also an on-board ethernet adapter: an Intel Corporation
> > 82557 10/100.
> > Anybody have any ideas at all of something to try or to look for??
> > Anything at all?

> I have seen a Fujitsu with a 1 GHz PIII and an onboard intel nic hang
> randomly. A search on the net gave me that intel had changed their
> nic specification without changing how the nic identified itself. I had
> this problem with kernel 2.4.5 which on the other hand worked fine with
> other intel nics using the same driver.

> The solution for me was to insert a 3com PCI nic and use that card. When
> the intel module wasn't loaded the machine became completely stable. As
> for you the hangs was randomly, sometimes after a few minutes, sometimes
> after several hours. This was about a year ago, I'm not sure, but I think
> that the machine simply hanged, I don't think it rebooted.

> regards Henrik

Redhat Linux Syskonnect sk98lin

Post by Je » Sat, 23 Nov 2002 23:31:30

I guess switching the processors didn't work either.  My server
crashed after about 36 hrs.

> Switching out the nics didn't seem to help.  I even tried just
> disabling the on-board nic in the bios and not putting another nic, it
> still crashed.  Switching out the processors seems to be working..
> it;s stayed up for about 3 hrs now.  I would still very much like to
> know why this is happening.

> > > I have 5 Dell Poweredge 2550 systems.  All running RedHat Linux 7.2 with
> > > a customized 2.4.7 kernel.
> > > 3 of the systems are older and have 933M
> > > proccessors and are working just fine.  On the other 2 they are newer
> > > and have 1 Gig processors.
> > > Basically the problem is, whenever I apply traffic to my gig fiber
> > > nics the system reboots.  Sometimes it takes days other times minutes
> > > or seconds.
> > > Oh.. there is also an on-board ethernet adapter: an Intel Corporation
> > > 82557 10/100.
> > > Anybody have any ideas at all of something to try or to look for??
> > > Anything at all?

> > I have seen a Fujitsu with a 1 GHz PIII and an onboard intel nic hang
> > randomly. A search on the net gave me that intel had changed their
> > nic specification without changing how the nic identified itself. I had
> > this problem with kernel 2.4.5 which on the other hand worked fine with
> > other intel nics using the same driver.

> > The solution for me was to insert a 3com PCI nic and use that card. When
> > the intel module wasn't loaded the machine became completely stable. As
> > for you the hangs was randomly, sometimes after a few minutes, sometimes
> > after several hours. This was about a year ago, I'm not sure, but I think
> > that the machine simply hanged, I don't think it rebooted.

> > regards Henrik

1. sk98lin vs skge driver - how to completely remove sk98lin?

I installed FC4 on a Dell 2450 (rack-mount server) that has two D-link
DGE-530T adapters on the riser card.  The old driver for this adapter
was the SysKonnect sk98lin, which is no longer being maintained
and is being phased out in favor of skge.

Both drivers are present in the current FC4 kernel (2.6.14-1.1653_FC4),
and the system seems to want to load sk98lin, which does not work.

I 'fixed' the problem by just deleting sk98lin.ko from /lib/modules.
skge gets loaded and the adapters work OK, but but now I get an error
message on boot up about sk98lin being not found.

Question: Is there a way to completely remove sk98lin so the kernel
does not attempt to load it at all, *without* rebuilding the kernel?

Is it as simple as removing sk98lin references from
/etc/modules/2.6.14-1.1653_FC4/modules.{alias|dep|pcimap}?

Jim Garrison

2. Wierd XWindows Problem With A50

3. uninstall REDhat linux uninstall REDhat linux uninstall REDhat linux uninstall REDhat linux uninstall REDhat linux uninstall REDhat linux uninstall REDhat linux

4. KDE2.1.1 out..

5. Token ring PCI card SysKonnect in Linux

6. AutoClients in disconnected mode

7. SysKonnect SK-9M411 linux driver.

8. In article <CA24ux.KEG@cbnewsk.cb.att.com>, you write:

9. SysKonnect FDDI drivers for Linux?

10. Syskonnect FDDI driver in linux with > 1GB RAM

11. comp.os.linux.hardware, comp.os.linux.redhat, linux.redhat.install

12. Problems in the sk98lin driver (2.5.43)

13. sk98lin version in FC4 kernel