Kernel recompilation.. wher is bzImage ???

Kernel recompilation.. wher is bzImage ???

Post by Darren Daviso » Mon, 12 Feb 2001 00:56:04

Hi,

*newbie alert*

I d/loaded and untarred the 2.4.1 kernel to my hdd and ran make config,
make dep, make clean, make bzImage, make modules and make
modules_install.  First time I've ever done this so was quite pleased to
see it work.

Backed up my existing /boot/vmlinuz and copied the new bzImage to that
location.  Rebooted - all fine, using the 2.4 kernel.

I then realised I had misconfigured something I needed and followed
exactly the same procedure as before, changing my config along the way.
Now, bzImage never gets created - it runs through the procedure, but the
file never appears in arch/i386/boot (or anywhere for that matter).
What have I suddenly done wrong?  Will there be a log of errors
somewhere (couldn't find it)?

On a separate note, I tried removing the whole /usr/src/linux directory
so I could start again from the tarball but all I get is 'Cannot unlink
linux: Is a directory' (I am using rm -df ...) has something major gone
wrong?

Regards,
DD

Post by Eric P. McC » Mon, 12 Feb 2001 03:12:44

> I then realised I had misconfigured something I needed and followed
> exactly the same procedure as before, changing my config along the way.
> Now, bzImage never gets created - it runs through the procedure, but the
> file never appears in arch/i386/boot (or anywhere for that matter).
> What have I suddenly done wrong?  Will there be a log of errors
> somewhere (couldn't find it)?

Hmm.  Did you remember to do `make bzImage' (and not just `make')?

Any errors would be sent to the screen.  Since make often has to
unwind through several directories, this can move the actual error
off-screen, so try: `make 2>&1 > log'.  Then you can use your favorite
text editor to peruse the file `log'.

Quote:> On a separate note, I tried removing the whole /usr/src/linux directory
> so I could start again from the tarball but all I get is 'Cannot unlink
> linux: Is a directory' (I am using rm -df ...) has something major gone
> wrong?

Use `rm -fr' instead.  From the manpage for rm:

       -d, --directory
              attempt  to  unlink  directory,  even  if non-empty
              (super-user only)

I don't even know how this works, but I'd guess that it may orphan
inodes in the directory (which would be why it's for root only).

--

  "Knowing that a lot of people across the world with Geocities sites
absolutely despise me is about the only thing that can add a positive

Post by Darren Daviso » Mon, 12 Feb 2001 19:03:16

> Hmm.  Did you remember to do `make bzImage' (and not just `make')?

yes.

Quote:> Any errors would be sent to the screen.  Since make often has to
> unwind through several directories, this can move the actual error
> off-screen, so try: `make 2>&1 > log'.  Then you can use your favorite
> text editor to peruse the file `log'.

in some frustration, I gave up and started again from the tarball -
everything worked fine (apart from the fact that there was a problem
with bzImage which means it won't uncompress on boot now, but that's a
different story!)

Thanks for the input,
DD

1. Linux Kernel 2.4.7 does not create bzImage (with make bzImage)

    [Please keep CC] I'm having real weird problem: 2.4.7 kernel does
    not create bzImage with

        make bzImage

    The filename is "bzImage", but it is not what it says. See full
    listing below.

    1. Whom should I contact about the kernel make scripts?
    2. Has anyone else seen this error?
    3. Can the bzImage's bit make it say it's "bzImage" ?

    Jari

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

    - Downloaded 2.4.7 full package from kernel.org
    - compiled it with

    make clean && make dep && make bzImage && make modules
    && make modules_install

    - All went ok
    - Copied arch/i386/boot/bzImage to /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.7
    - configured /etc/lilo.conf

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.7
        label=2.4
        read-only

    - ran lilo ... ERROR!

Fatal: Kernel /vmlinuz is too big

    - The LILO developer tells, that the problem is not in LILO,
    - Hm, but this error happens only if it's zImage, but I did
      make bzImage

bzImage that is created in arch/i386/boot:

    -rw-r--r--    1 root     root       962241 Jul 28 22:48 bzImage

but It isn't an bzImage!! (ran "file bzImage")

    arch/i386/boot/bzImage:     Linux kernel x86 boot executable RO-rootFS, root_dev=0x1605, Normal VGA

But the old /boot/vmlinuz is bzImage

2. free/open maps/atlases

3. Problems regarding crypto filesystem after kernel recompilation

4. Linux install on DPT SCSI

5. Kernel recompilation help

6. QNX INFO

7. No http access after kernel recompilation

8. state of the Alpha?

9. kernel recompilation

10. Kernel Recompilation Fails

11. REDHAT kernel recompilation